• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, the VB is out....i have a CN AS201400009xxx....so seems like my number would be current in March/April..cant say.....and I am doing AOS..it will lengthen the process even further...
the only problem is I will be graduationg in december....and i need to apply for OPT before the my graduation...so can you please tell me if it will affect my both DV process or OPT process? ..since i m in process for DV.....
Thanks Againa

so, the VB is out....i have a CN AS201400009xxx....so seems like my number would be current in March/April..cant say.....and I am doing AOS..it will lengthen the process even further...
the only problem is I will be graduationg in december....and i need to apply for OPT before the my graduation...so can you please tell me if it will affect my both DV process or OPT process? ..since i m in process for DV.....
Thanks Againa

Hi Againa,

Did you already send your DSP-122 form to the KCC? If yes, that can be a bit of a problem.

Technically, your AOS process doesn't start until you submit I-485 and its accepted. So you should go ahead and apply for your OPT as planned and ensure you're in continuous status when it's time to send in the AOS package.

Thanks Againa

Can I file AOS while my H1B Extension is pending?

Hello friends,

I have a very difficult situation, and need help.

My H1B is expiring this September. My employer is filing for extension, not done yet. So, I do not hope to get it completed before my H1B expires. The lawyer says my work authorization automatically gets extended for 240 days after the H1B expiration, if the extension is filed on time, and approval is pending. I am a DV selectee, and as per the Sept visa bulletin, my case number will be current for October. My question is; will I be able to file AOS during that pending H1B approval time? Will automatic extension of work authorization imply that my status is valid for the AOS submission?

Please suggest what I should do.

DV-2014/AOS/L1 visa

Hi All,

My wife was selected. Her number is 2014EU008***. We are in US on L visa (I have L1, she and our daughter have L2 -expiration in 2015).

I made some homework and now I have pretty good idea about the AOS procedure (btw thanks to Sm1smom). But several things are still unclear to me:
1) Surprisingly there are almost no L visa holders doing AOS. Is there any reason for that? Are there some hidden obstacles for that?
2) How beneficial is to apply for EAD and AP?
3) How much did you pay for Medical Evaluation (i-693)? How much time did it take? Is there any waiver/discount for children?

Regards,
pmorozov

Hello friends,

I have a very difficult situation, and need help.

My H1B is expiring this September. My employer is filing for extension, not done yet. So, I do not hope to get it completed before my H1B expires. The lawyer says my work authorization automatically gets extended for 240 days after the H1B expiration, if the extension is filed on time, and approval is pending. I am a DV selectee, and as per the Sept visa bulletin, my case number will be current for October. My question is; will I be able to file AOS during that pending H1B approval time? Will automatic extension of work authorization imply that my status is valid for the AOS submission?

Please suggest what I should do.

As long as renewal or extension package is filed to and accepted by USCIS before or on the expiration date of your current H1B visa, you are considered to be in continuous status and are good for AOS. You however have to wait till you receive the acceptance notification for the extension filing from USCIS before you can send in your I-485 package. The notification has to be part of the package you send in to the Chicago Lockbox.

Response below:

Hi All,

My wife was selected. Her number is 2014EU008***. We are in US on L visa (I have L1, she and our daughter have L2 -expiration in 2015).

I made some homework and now I have pretty good idea about the AOS procedure (btw thanks to Sm1smom - :) you're welcome). But several things are still unclear to me:

1) Surprisingly there are almost no L visa holders doing AOS. Is there any reason for that? Are there some hidden obstacles for that?
No obstacles to filing AOS on L visa. The L, like the H visa, is actually one of the more flexible visas. It's a dual intent visa. One of the reasons for the low number of L visas doing AOS may be due to the proportionate number of people holding L as against H visas.

2) How beneficial is to apply for EAD and AP? - In your case, AP isn't of any benefit. Your L visa is a dual intent visa which allows you to travel in and out of the US while your AOS is pending. It's more beneficial to those on non dual intent visas as it enables them to travel out without their application being considered as being abandoned, should they have a need to travel out of the US during the process. The EAD may be useful to someone whose aos may be delayed for one reason or the other, it enables them to work while the case is pending. Again, this is non beneficial to your spouse or kid

3) How much did you pay for Medical Evaluation (i-693)? How much time did it take? Is there any waiver/discount for children? - Price varies from one doctor's office to the other, from city to city and from State to State. It could be anything between $200 - $700. Some civil surgeons may be willing to medical insurance. You just have to call the ones within you city and ask them upfront about their charges, shop around.

Regards,
pmorozov

Hello! Quick question. I keep reading that the the I-485 package needs to be sent to the Chicago Lockbox but on mine 2NL it says that I have to file with my local USCIS office. Any clarification on this?

Local FOs do not accept I-485 packages,all DV based I-485 must be sent to the Chicago Lockbox. Your application will however make its way eventually to your local FO where your interview will take place. The process will be concluded at your local FO

I have some short questions about I-485. Some of them are just to make sure.

1- I do not have a middle name so I put "N/A" there?

2- current occupation?? I am an international student in US and I am a research assistant here. I am listing "student" there. is it ok?

3- were you inspected by a US immigration officer?? when I came to US I just went through the gates that all people were going and showed my passport and nothing else. So here I am writing No. Is it ok?

4-consulte were visa was issued? I am writing name of city and country like "ankara/turkey" is it ok?

5- part 3 of form it is mentioned that if you do not have spouse or childeren write "none". where should I write none? there are a lot of places. In all of them?

6- in part 3c . name of organizations and membership. I am just listing one membership so for rest places I have to list N/A ?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
See response below:

I have some short questions about I-485. Some of them are just to make sure.

1- I do not have a middle name so I put "N/A" there? - No, leave it blank. If you put N/A, your GC could be issued with N/A written as your middle name, you certainly don't want that.

2- current occupation?? I am an international student in US and I am a research assistant here. I am listing "student" there. is it ok? - Your status is F1, you're here as a student, so your occupation is "Student"

3- were you inspected by a US immigration officer?? when I came to US I just went through the gates that all people were going and showed my passport and nothing else. So here I am writing No. Is it ok? - You need to put YES. Writing 'NO' means you entered the country illegally. You passport was stamped, so you were inspected. It is not referring to whether you went through a secondary inspection or not

4-consulte were visa was issued? I am writing name of city and country like "ankara/turkey" is it ok? - Yes

5- part 3 of form it is mentioned that if you do not have spouse or children write "none". where should I write none? there are a lot of places. In all of them? - Just write none on the first line and leave the rest blank

6- in part 3c . name of organizations and membership. I am just listing one membership so for rest places I have to list N/A ? - Leave the rest blank

Thanks

Aos - g4

Hello everyone! I would like to ask if anyone had experience for AOS with a g4 visa? I did some research online and basically it seems that in addition to the regular forms, we have to include two additional forms I-508 and I-566 for those with G4. I am just wondering if anyone faced any challenges with the process, and wondering if it is better to do CP.. Thanks! :)

CN : 2014AS00013XXX
1st NL Checked : May, 2013
Sent Forms to KCC : Pending
2nd NL : Pending
Medicals : Pending
Interview : Pending
Result: Pending
POE: Dulles

If Visa status changes after sending package to Chicago Lockbox?

Just getting myself ready for all probabilities.

My wife got selected in DV-2014 lottery and she is on H4 visa. However, we had also applied for her H1B this year in April through a new employer and she got through the H1B lottery. However, she got an RFE for her H1B which is now pending with USCIS after our employer's response to that.

We will get current in November 2014 and expect to have got the decision on her H4-H1B RFE by then, but USCIS has a very poor record in that in some cases. My question is: if we dont receive the RFE response from USCIS by November (our current date) and send the I-485 etc. as per her current status of H4, what if the RFE approval comes and she gets on H1B in the interim before our interview date (which being Chicago FO, we are not expecting before January/February? Will we need to send a new I485 or explain in the interview that her visa status changed since we sent the application..?

F1 opt

Hi, hustle_ambtion6
I'm in a same situation. I will finish my school in this December.
Like Sm1smom replied to you, I think it is OK to aply OPT before sending I-485.
From my understanding, I should fill out the form for OPT in September and October which is 3 or 2 month ahead of time of our graduation. Then we can be in the US with valid F1 visa with OPT after our graduation.

I have questions what is the notification letter? Are there 2 kinds of letter NL and 2NL?
I received e-mail with 2 attachment files at August 1. It was about the Fee $330.

Dear All,

I have a question for current/next DV. Not to mention checking the result of DV selectee via online, all the DV selectee still have a letter of notification (1st letter) mailed out?

Thanks!

Good luck to you all.

Dear All,

I have a question for current/next DV. Not to mention checking the result of DV selectee via online, all the DV selectee still have a letter of notification (1st letter) mailed out?

Thanks!

Good luck to you all.

No, letters are no longer sent - entrants have to check online to get their 1NL.

Just getting myself ready for all probabilities.

My wife got selected in DV-2014 lottery and she is on H4 visa. However, we had also applied for her H1B this year in April through a new employer and she got through the H1B lottery. However, she got an RFE for her H1B which is now pending with USCIS after our employer's response to that.

We will get current in November 2014 and expect to have got the decision on her H4-H1B RFE by then, but USCIS has a very poor record in that in some cases. My question is: if we dont receive the RFE response from USCIS by November (our current date) and send the I-485 etc. as per her current status of H4, what if the RFE approval comes and she gets on H1B in the interim before our interview date (which being Chicago FO, we are not expecting before January/February? Will we need to send a new I485 or explain in the interview that her visa status changed since we sent the application..?

If your wife's status changes between when I-485 is sent and interview time, all you need to do is attend the interview with the prove of new status and bring it to the attention of the IO at the time of the interview. No need to send in an I-485.

Status
Not open for further replies.