• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Proof of education

sw8pea76

Registered Users (C)
Hi all. I have a question on documents proving high school diploma. I actually have a post-graduate qualification - will proof of this suffice, or do they actually want to see high school qualifications?! Surely the higher and more recent education would prove it...but thought I better check before heading off to my interview with the wrong certificate!

Hi all. I have a question on documents proving high school diploma. I actually have a post-graduate qualification - will proof of this suffice, or do they actually want to see high school qualifications?! Surely the higher and more recent education would prove it...but thought I better check before heading off to my interview with the wrong certificate!

Hi

Congrats on your interview! :)

From all the posts I have read (and thats quite a few!) they are very strict regarding your proof of high school qualifications. For example, here in Australia you can have university degrees (undergrad/post grad) without having ever finished high school. Although it seems reasonable to think higher qualifications would be enough, it really boils down to providing exactly what they ask for. As another Australian found out the hard way, having higher education post high school was not enough for him (he did not complete the final year of school and his visa was denied).

For me, one of the first things I got a copy of was proof of my HSC, that I actually achieved it, and not just finished the year.

All the best !

Q

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Wow can't quite believe they are that strict....Seems crazy! Guess I will be going back to my old high school and asking them for documentation...

Hi

Congrats on your interview! :)

From all the posts I have read (and thats quite a few!) they are very strict regarding your proof of high school qualifications. For example, here in Australia you can have university degrees (undergrad/post grad) without having ever finished high school. Although it seems reasonable to think higher qualifications would be enough, it really boils down to providing exactly what they ask for. As an other Australian found out the hard way, having higher education post high school was not enough for him (he did not complete the final year of school and his visa was denied).

For me, one of the first things I got a copy of was proof of my HSC, that I actually achieved it, and not just finished the year.

All the best !

Q

I have wanted clarification on very same question. I am Australian and have a university degree, 1/3 through another university degree, and assumed this would supersede high school quals...thank you for that info!!

I did my HSC but did fail 2 subjects in it (chemistry and ancient history), I then did a university bridging course which is the so called equivalent of high school qualifications for university entry. I am bringing the bridging course certificate to our interview as well, but worried they will focus on my HSC certificate and note I failed 2 subjects! I also do not have any previous high school reports or certificates to show.

Will this be a problem??

Hi

No worries :) It would be a shame to make it all the way to interview and be missing evidence of one of the main eligibilities. I have read of others who advise the interviewers that they also have university qualifications, just as a bit of "cream on the top" so to speak, but if the tick box is missing for your high school qualification, they will go no further.

All the best with your interview! I will patiently (??) wait until May 1 to see if my chance comes up.

Warm wishes

Q

I have wanted clarification on very same question. I am Australian and have a university degree, 1/3 through another university degree, and assumed this would supersede high school quals...thank you for that info!!

I did my HSC but did fail 2 subjects in it (chemistry and ancient history), I then did a university bridging course which is the so called equivalent of high school qualifications for university entry. I am bringing the bridging course certificate to our interview as well, but worried they will focus on my HSC certificate and note I failed 2 subjects! I also do not have any previous high school reports or certificates to show.

Will this be a problem??

Hi Tevolo

Let me say first that I am not an expert at this, just an avid reader of everything DV Lottery since I applied. I also failed a subject doing my HSC, so I applied for a copy (now called VCE equivalent) of my HSC so I could see the wording on it. You can optain a copy of your certificate either with your subjects and grades, or just the certificate. I got the latter. It very clearly states that I have achieved my HSC - and that's what I wanted to see! I'm also studying at Uni, but will only present that information AFTER they see I have achieved my full high school education (got to love my optimisim, I haven't even been chosen yet lol).

Many Aussies will recall the guy from Brisbane who was rejected at interview; he was told that he had Year 12 equivalence, and they did not accept it. My advice would be get your certificate and make sure it states you have achieved your HSC.

Any other thoughts from anyone else most welcome.

All the best

Q

:D

Hi Tevolo

Let me say first that I am not an expert at this, just an avid reader of everything DV Lottery since I applied. I also failed a subject doing my HSC, so I applied for a copy (now called VCE equivalent) of my HSC so I could see the wording on it. You can optain a copy of your certificate either with your subjects and grades, or just the certificate. I got the latter. It very clearly states that I have achieved my HSC - and that's what I wanted to see! I'm also studying at Uni, but will only present that information AFTER they see I have achieved my full high school education (got to love my optimisim, I haven't even been chosen yet lol).

Many Aussies will recall the guy from Brisbane who was rejected at interview; he was told that he had Year 12 equivalence, and they did not accept it. My advice would be get your certificate and make sure it states you have achieved your HSC.

Any other thoughts from anyone else most welcome.

All the best

Q

:D

Thank you Q! I appreciate your info and input a great deal on this!

I am ordering copies of my year 10 school certificate today as well as my year 11 record of achievement record. I did qualify for my HSC as overall pass mark was above passing mark of 50%.I recently received my ordered copy (lost original from 20 years ago!) and it states that I have completed all Board requirements and has been awarded the results shown hereunder following the......Higher School Certificate Examinations. The results are then indicated which show that I passed 4/6 and failed 2/6. This worries me. I also received another Record of Achievement replacement statement that states as a year 12 student I satisfactorily completed the courses listed below..it sort of contradicts my final exam marks though-how could I have satisfactorily have completed all of them if I failed 2? This final point worries me as a pedantic officer might question this.

I hope it will be considered conclusive. Worried.

I am ordering copies of my year 10 school certificate today as well as my year 11 record of achievement record. I did qualify for my HSC as overall pass mark was above passing mark of 50%.I recently received my ordered copy (lost original from 20 years ago!) and it states that I have completed all Board requirements and has been awarded the results shown hereunder following the......Higher School Certificate Examinations. The results are then indicated which show that I passed 4/6 and failed 2/6. This worries me. I also received another Record of Achievement replacement statement that states as a year 12 student I satisfactorily completed the courses listed below..it sort of contradicts my final exam marks though-how could I have satisfactorily have completed all of them if I failed 2? This final point worries me as a pedantic officer might question this.

Hi again

Trust me - I worried a lot about this one, as I also have a failed mark on my HSC, and I only did 4 subjects! I did, however, qualify for the HSC based on the rest of my results. Because it's possible to order a certificate that states your achievement WITHOUT the nasty grades on there, that's the one I ordered ($25 or so I think). If I get that far down the path, thats the certificate I will be taking. I will keep a copy of the graded one in my bag, just in case it's asked for. Bottom line is they want proof we did our VCE/HSC, so the simple certificate will prove that. :) Yes, there are pedantic officers, but as you say, you met their requirements and the words are there, so less stress ok? :) Order the other certificate if you can, might help you feel a little better.

Q

Oh, and I had to replace my original lost 31 years ago!

:)

Hi again

Trust me - I worried a lot about this one, as I also have a failed mark on my HSC, and I only did 4 subjects! I did, however, qualify for the HSC based on the rest of my results. Because it's possible to order a certificate that states your achievement WITHOUT the nasty grades on there, that's the one I ordered ($25 or so I think). If I get that far down the path, thats the certificate I will be taking. I will keep a copy of the graded one in my bag, just in case it's asked for. Bottom line is they want proof we did our VCE/HSC, so the simple certificate will prove that. :) Yes, there are pedantic officers, but as you say, you met their requirements and the words are there, so less stress ok? :) Order the other certificate if you can, might help you feel a little better.

Q
I certainly will--thank you! Ordering today:) I didn't know I could order ones without those grades on it. And as you suggested, will keep other in my bag in case it's needed. I tallied my total marks up out of possible 550 for HSC, and my overall percentage is 50.7%. My other higher marks pulled me through (by the skin of my teeth) from those 2 dismal fails. I hope this in itself will be conclusive I passed my HSC.

Thank you again Q; you might very well have saved us from a decline through my prior assumptions. I am very grateful for your help and info.

ALL THE BEST TO YOU in your green card journey!

U.S High School Diploma Equivalents For all Regions

Please don't post information from other websites.
You can point people to information on other websites buy copying and pasting content is not permitted.

Thanks

I certainly will--thank you! Ordering today:) I didn't know I could order ones without those grades on it. And as you suggested, will keep other in my bag in case it's needed. I tallied my total marks up out of possible 550 for HSC, and my overall percentage is 50.7%. My other higher marks pulled me through (by the skin of my teeth) from those 2 dismal fails. I hope this in itself will be conclusive I passed my HSC.

Thank you again Q; you might very well have saved us from a decline through my prior assumptions. I am very grateful for your help and info.

ALL THE BEST TO YOU in your green card journey!

I look forward to hearing good news in the near future for you :)

Verdite, that list is amazing, thank you for posting it :)

Q

Just trying to help. I am trying to edit it from my mobile device so I can make it neater but I just can't seem to do it.

Will keep on trying coz the way it is doesn't look neat

Thanks verdite! I'm actually from New Zealand, they mention School Certificate and Sixth Form Certificate. I have both, but Sixth Form was not the final year, so I think I'll apply for my Higher School Certificate - which is 'a record of the satisfactory completion of five full-time years of secondary education'.

I'd be a bit wary of relying exclusively on this list, as the qualifications called School Certificate and Sixth Form Certificate were actually phased out in NZ 2002-2004 - so it's not up to date for NZ. Since 2004 they have had something called National Certificate of Educational Achievement - it has 3 levels.

Hs

Thanks! Wow can't quite believe they are that strict....Seems crazy! Guess I will be going back to my old high school and asking them for documentation...
Good idea!
Even in the uS, they have something called GED for pple who didn't do the 12 years of pre university or pre college education, and they don't accept this in lieu of HSD. I personally have 3 levels of degrees after my High School and am working on a higher one right now, and still plan to take my HSD with me to the interview.

US High School Diploma equivalents

Hi Verdite,

Thanks for the information above. DV-Instructions states:

"U.S. Immigration law and regulations require that every Diversity Visa entrant must have at least a high
school education or its equivalent or have, within the past five years, two years of work experience in an
occupation requiring at least two years of training or experience. A ―high school education or equivalent is
defined as successful completion of a twelve-year course of elementary and secondary education in the
United States or successful completion in another country of a formal course of elementary and secondary
education comparable to a high school education in the United States. Only formal courses of study meet this
requirement; correspondence programs or equivalency certificates (such as the General Equivalency Diploma
G.E.D.)) are not acceptable. Documentary proof of education or work experience must be presented to the
consular officer at the time of the visa interview."

You will note that the DV-Instructions indicate a High School education OR it's equivalent. So I guess it's equivalent does apply.

Thanks. My hubby is the PA he has a HSC diploma and three U.S university degrees. I on the other hand didn't finish high school and couldn't afford to go to college if we win the lottery and get the visa i'm planning on getting a GED and going to business school.