• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Proof of education

Hi guys. I hope this wasn't meant to be an Aussie thread only. I just thought I shld share with everyone about the U.S high school diploma equivalents for all countries. Please Note: this is not official, I just copied this from another website and I don't know how far accurate/reliable this info is. All the same I genuinely think it is reliable.
High School Diploma Equivalents

Country

Northern Ireland
General Certificate of Secondary
Education (GCSE)

Interesting that the mainland United Kingdom is not on that list. I imagine that as Northern Ireland has the same educational system as the rest of the UK, the requirement is the applicant's GCSE certificate. Good to know, nice post verdite.

Thanks. My hubby is the PA he has a HSC diploma and three U.S university degrees. I on the other hand didn't finish high school and couldn't afford to go to college if we win the lottery and get the visa i'm planning on getting a GED and going to business school.

Hi Bahamaschick,

Did you apply for the DV-Lottery or just your hubby? Don't worry, you're never too old to further your education. As for me, I completed high school with honors, but couldn't afford to take BGCSE exams. However, I do qualify based on work experience in job zone four SVR 7.0 >8.0.

Hi Bahamaschick,

Did you apply for the DV-Lottery or just your hubby? Don't worry, you're never too old to further your education. As for me, I completed high school with honors, but couldn't afford to take BGCSE exams. However, I do qualify based on work experience in job zone four SVR 7.0 >8.0.[

I applied for my husband he qualify for both education and work experience.

You are going to sail through your interview

Good idea!
Even in the uS, they have something called GED for pple who didn't do the 12 years of pre university or pre college education, and they don't accept this in lieu of HSD. I personally have 3 levels of degrees after my High School and am working on a higher one right now, and still plan to take my HSD with me to the interview.

I doubt you will be denied because you have higher education-3 levels of degrees. WOW!

All the best! your interview is soooo close.

Last edited by a moderator:
DV Refusal based on Education

Please read quote below from someone on another forum who was denied visa because of having low grades:

"I went for DV interview and presented all my document. During my first interview, the consular inform me that i should have a high school diploma of which i showed him He later informed me that the embassy would contact me as they are doin administrative processing. After few month, i was called to bring along the seal original high school certifcate of which i did. To my surprise, the consular inform me that i have low grades and he would not issue the visa.

I am a high school graduate and i am now studying business management. i have certificate, diploma and advance diploma in business studies. this is separate from my high school grades.Apart from my high school grades, i am on the verge of completing my graduate diploma. I presented all this certificates and was told only about my high school grades. My point here is, the DV announcement is clear, either high school graduate of equivalent or 2 years work experience. i read no where where they say high school graduates with low marks are not qualified and besides i have much bigger certificates than high school,

I did my interview in senegal and i am sierra leone base in gambia. I want to appeal or make my case be reconsidered becasue i believe i am education qualified. the reeason for my denial is base on my low grades but what about my advance diploma is business studies? so it was not considered at all even though it a london exam.

Please advice what to do?"

Please read quote below from someone on another forum who was denied visa because of having low grades:

"I went for DV interview and presented all my document. During my first interview, the consular inform me that i should have a high school diploma of which i showed him He later informed me that the embassy would contact me as they are doin administrative processing. After few month, i was called to bring along the seal original high school certifcate of which i did. To my surprise, the consular inform me that i have low grades and he would not issue the visa.

I am a high school graduate and i am now studying business management. i have certificate, diploma and advance diploma in business studies. this is separate from my high school grades.Apart from my high school grades, i am on the verge of completing my graduate diploma. I presented all this certificates and was told only about my high school grades. My point here is, the DV announcement is clear, either high school graduate of equivalent or 2 years work experience. i read no where where they say high school graduates with low marks are not qualified and besides i have much bigger certificates than high school,

I did my interview in senegal and i am sierra leone base in gambia. I want to appeal or make my case be reconsidered becasue i believe i am education qualified. the reeason for my denial is base on my low grades but what about my advance diploma is business studies? so it was not considered at all even though it a london exam.

Please advice what to do?"

Oh my, I am truly sorry for you. It sounds so very unfair. I have no offer of advice rather than asking is there an appeals process? Did you fail your high school diploma or equivalence, as in get a mark below 50% mark. I wish you all the best.

oops, see now this is copy and paste and another individual. Wow, that is a sad situation. I wonder if that individual had high school mark below 50%?

Oh my, I am truly sorry for you. It sounds so very unfair. I have no offer of advice rather than asking is there an appeals process? Did you fail your high school diploma or equivalence, as in get a mark below 50% mark. I wish you all the best.

Hi Tev,

This is not my experience, but that of someone from another forum. :cool:

I am a high school graduate and i am now studying business management. i have certificate, diploma and advance diploma in business studies. this is separate from my high school grades.Apart from my high school grades, i am on the verge of completing my graduate diploma. I presented all this certificates and was told only about my high school grades.

So does this mean that the Embassy is not just concerned with whether you have a High School Diploma Or the Equivalent of it in your country but they also need to see you passed the majority of the subjects???

Is this what it is means?? For those in the know please assist us.

I really feel for that person who was denied the visa. But they shld have at least considered his/her other qualifications. Unless of course there is more to this story than what was told.

So does this mean that the Embassy is not just concerned with whether you have a High School Diploma Or the Equivalent of it in your country but they also need to see you passed the majority of the subjects???

Is this what it is means?? For those in the know please assist us.

I really feel for that person who was denied the visa. But they shld have at least considered his/her other qualifications. Unless of course there is more to this story than what was told.

My guess is just as good as yours. I'm guessing since the passing grade in the USA is a "D", one's equivalent must be at least the same or higher in English and Mathematics. I would like to hear from someone who was in this situation. Nobody wants to go to the interview without complete knowledge of this matter.

Hmm

His/Her high school diploma might of been fake.

If they thought that it was fake, they would have said just that. They dont beat about the bush...they would have questioned the authenticity of the diploma. Not possible!

I read another forum stating that CP usually want some grade in English and I think Math or something? Not sure where that was but twas in this forums. I remember it was someone who had a D and was denied.

If they thought that it was fake, they would have said just that. They dont beat about the bush...they would have questioned the authenticity of the diploma. Not possible!

I read another forum stating that CP usually want some grade in English and I think Math or something? Not sure where that was but twas in this forums. I remember it was someone who had a D and was denied.

Strange because a 'D' is a passing grade for High School in the US (according to online records). In fact, DoS should clarify this in the DV-Instructions IF "grades" are relevant.....

Academic Grading in the USA

Academic grading in North America
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article does not cite any references or sources. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (February 2011)
Academic grading

Africa
Egypt Kenya Morocco South Africa Tunisia
North America
Canada Mexico United States
Central America
Costa Rica Nicaragua
South America
Chile Venezuela
Asia
Bangladesh China Hong Kong India Indonesia Iran Israel Japan Korea Kyrgyzstan Nepal Pakistan Philippines Singapore Syria United Arab Emirates Vietnam
Europe
ECTS European Baccalaureate GPA in Central and Eastern Europe
Albania Austria Bosnia and Herzegovina Bulgaria Croatia Czech Republic Denmark Finland France Germany Greece Hungary Iceland Ireland Italy Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Moldova Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal Romania Russia Serbia Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden Switzerland Ukraine United Kingdom
Oceania
Australia New Zealand
v d e
Academic grading in North America varies from country to country and even within countries.
Contents [hide]
1 United States
2 Canada
2.1 Percentage-based grading
3 Mexico
[edit]United States

Main article: Academic grading in the United States
The most commonly used index in the U.S. educational system uses five letter grades. Historically, the grades were A, B, C, D, and F—A being the highest and F, denoting failure, the lowest. In the mid-twentieth century, many American educational institutions—especially in the Midwest (particularly the State of Michigan)—began to use the letters A, B, C, D, and E. The only difference here is that failure is denoted by E instead of F, which is not used by these schools. By comparison, the grade E is sometimes used in Canada as a conditional failing grade. No grades awarded on American quality indices are conditional, except special grades like I (Incomplete) and Y (course on non-traditional calendar, assigned to regular term in which the student enrolled in the course).
The A–F (A–E) quality index is typically quantified by correlation to a five-point numerical scale as follows:
Chromatic variants, represented by + and −, are commonly used. They are most commonly quantified as x.3 and y.7, e.g., B = 3.0, so B+ = 3.3 and B− = 2.7). A few institutions use only a single midpoint between the major points on the scale; that is, they regard an A− as effectively the same grade as B+. In those cases, an AB replaces the options of A- and B+ and is quantified as 3.5; a BC replaces B− and C+, with a value of 2.5; and a CD replaces C−/D+, worth 1.5. This approach is unusual and is most notably typified by institutions in the state of Wisconsin.
The grade A+ is a novelty in American education. The minority of institutions that use it may quantify the grade as 4.3 or 4.5, but many of them quantify A+ as 4.0 on the theory that a 4.0 scale cannot go higher than 4.0. By convention, quantitative scales are called by the highest whole number, so there is—at least, conventionally—no such scale based on 4.3 or 4.5, but it is still a 4.0 or 4-point scale because the fraction is ignored in naming the scale. D- is also rarely found, under the assumption that anything less than a D is by definition failure.
American high schools and universities sometimes weight their GPAs.
In the late 1970s and early 1980s, many primary schools began to employ quasi-eccentric quality indices in which E, historically a failing grade, was recast to represent "Excellent." Similarly, the graduate business school at the University of Michigan awards the grade X to represent "Excellent." (Please see the section on The E-S-N-U system.)
American high schools typically require a 1.0 grade point average to qualify to take a diploma. The industry standard for undergraduate institutions is a minimum 2.0 average. Most graduate schools have required a 3.0 grade point average since 1975 (the transition began two decades earlier), but some schools still have 2.75 as their pass standard. Some doctoral programs do not have a formal pass standard. For example, the Michigan Doctorate, conferred by the Rackham School of Graduate Studies at the University of Michigan, is awarded solely on the basis of competence in research. It is unlikely, however, that the University of Michigan would retain a student who was doing work below 'B' quality, even though the grade point average is technically irrelevant to conferment of the degree.
American law schools are notoriously out of step with mainstream graduate-level education. Most of them still require no more than a 2.0 grade point average to qualify for the professional doctorate in law. A few require 2.3 or 2.5 for post-doctoral degrees, such as the American LL.M. or S.J.D. degrees. Law schools also typically continue to award the grade D whereas the industry standard is to eliminate it from the graduate-level quality index.

Apart from law schools, graduate schools in some states (California among them) continue to award the grade D in graduate school, despite having a 3.0 degree pass standard — measured against which a D (1.0) is normally considered superfluous, because even B− (2.7 or 2.5) is a failing grade in most graduate schools. Most high schools and elementary schools have "high honor" and "honor" rolls. High honor roll is received by achieving all As (9.0-7.0) and honor roll is received by achieving no grade lower than a B-(4.0) at any given time between quarters or semesters.
[edit]Canada

Interesting that the mainland United Kingdom is not on that list. I imagine that as Northern Ireland has the same educational system as the rest of the UK, the requirement is the applicant's GCSE certificate. Good to know, nice post verdite.

This will be because Brits are not eligible for the DV lottery; not a qualifying country

This will be because Brits are not eligible for the DV lottery; not a qualifying country

Eligibility/Qualification to enter is based on birth or marriage to a eligible applicant, not nationality. Therefore a British person born (for example) in Belgium would be eligible, and could have gone through the British education system.