Regarding the EAD(A5)

mr26ss

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys!

I'm currently applying for the EAD(A5) after my granted asylum case.
But I have a question regarding the EAD card.
Which is how long does this EAD validate?
I mean I know the EAD(C8) is validated for 1 year.
But if the EAD(A5) validates for 1 year as well, then what should I do when I apply for the green card?
How could I cover the gap like 5 to 10 months for waiting for my green card but the EAD(A5) is expired?

Thanks in advance for you guys' help!

Hi guys!

But if the EAD(A5) validates for 1 year as well, then what should I do when I apply for the green card?
How could I cover the gap like 5 to 10 months for waiting for my green card but the EAD(A5) is expired?

You are an asylee. You don't need EAD. All you need is unrestricted SS card and a driver license. The USCIS and SSA have made it so clear that asylees and refugees are not required to hold EAD. I don't know why some people still don't understand that.

However it doesn't hurt to have one. The filing fee for EAD under category A5 is $0. And you can use it as an extra ID or extra evidence of your legal status while waiting for a Green Card

You are an asylee. You don't need EAD. All you need is unrestricted SS card and a driver license. The USCIS and SSA have made it so clear that asylees and refugees are not required to hold EAD. I don't know why some people still don't understand that.

Hi, I understand that I don't have to have a EAD.
But the thing is my case was granted by a immigration judge and I didn't get a new i-94 card.
I googled this "unrestricted ssn" and it turned out that I need to take not only the immigration judge's order also the new i-94 which could prove my asylee status.
So I just apply for the EAD.
Speaking of which, could you please tell me how am I gonna be able to get this new i-94?
Thanks very much!

Hi, I understand that I don't have to have a EAD.
But the thing is my case was granted by a immigration judge and I didn't get a new i-94 card.
I googled this "unrestricted ssn" and it turned out that I need to take not only the immigration judge's order also the new i-94 which could prove my asylee status.
So I just apply for the EAD.
Speaking of which, could you please tell me how am I gonna be able to get this new i-94?
Thanks very much!

Take your asylum approval from the court to the Social Security office and they will take care of the rest. I got my SSN changed to unrestricted without a new I-94. As far as the new I-94, make an infopass with USCIS. Sometimes it takes time for the USCIS to get your file from the Immigration court. It took about 3 months in my case here in NYC.

Take your asylum approval from the court to the Social Security office and they will take care of the rest. I got my SSN changed to unrestricted without a new I-94. As far as the new I-94, make an infopass with USCIS. Sometimes it takes time for the USCIS to get your file from the Immigration court. It took about 3 months in my case here in NYC.

Thank you very much for your help!
As my understanding, you said you had your ssn changed to unrestricted. Is that mean you've hold a EAD with C8? And you've got your ssn changed to unrestricted by just using a immigration judge order?
Or how did you got your ssn in the first place?

Thanks for your answer!

You don't need I-94 to remove your SS resriction. The process of verification that SSA uses is different for those who get approved by EOIR.
When you go to the SSA office, take with you the judge letter, your resricted SS card, and a driver license. The SSA employee will call the EOIR system to verify the judge decision.

It is still good to have I-94. Make an infopaas appointment to get a new I-94. It takes up to 3 months.

You can get a free EAD(A05) and RTD if you apply for

them with I-485. You need to wait 1 year after the asylum approval

You don't need I-94 to remove your SS resriction. The process of verification that SSA uses is different for those who get approved by EOIR.
When you go to the SSA office, take with you the judge letter, your resricted SS card, and a driver license. The SSA employee will call the EOIR system to verify the judge decision.

It is still good to have I-94. Make an infopaas appointment to get a new I-94. It takes up to 3 months.

You can get a free EAD(A05) and RTD if you apply for

them with I-485. You need to wait 1 year after the asylum approval

Thank you!
I got it! I'm gonna try to apply for my ssn by using the judge order and my passport as you mentioned.
I don't have a drive license coz I don't have the ssn. I'll try to make this as a good start.

Again, Thanks very much for all of your help!

The EAD A5 will have 2 years validation. I have seen it personally. Do not worry, the USCIS took care of it:)

Hi guys!

The EAD A5 will have 2 years validation. I have seen it personally. Do not worry, the USCIS took care of it:)

Thanks for your kind reminding.
Actually I have already applied for the unrestriced SSN card today.
It was a really nice lady and I have just provided my passport and the IJ order and it took like 20 to 30 minutes for all kinds verification and confirmation.
And finally, I am gonna wait for my SSN card to be delivered.

Thanks you guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your kind reminding.
Actually I have already applied for the unrestriced SSN card today.
It was a really nice lady and I have just provided my passport and the IJ order and it took like 20 to 30 minutes for all kinds verification and confirmation.
And finally, I am gonna wait for my SSN card to be delivered.

Thanks you guys!

When you receive you receive your unrestricted SS card, you will be authorized to work in the US with or without EAD(A05). The E-verify system will recognize you now.

When you fill I-9 form, select "Alien authorized to work in the US" and leave the expiration date blank. You can show your driver license and the unrestricted SS card. The E-verify system will take care of the rest.

I highly recommend that you make an info pass appointment to get a new I-94 to avoid any TNC that E-verify might generate.

When you receive you receive your unrestricted SS card, you will be authorized to work in the US with or without EAD(A05). The E-verify system will recognize you now.

When you fill I-9 form, select "Alien authorized to work in the US" and leave the expiration date blank. You can show your driver license and the unrestricted SS card. The E-verify system will take care of the rest.

I highly recommend that you make an info pass appointment to get a new I-94 to avoid any TNC that E-verify might generate.

Thank you very much for your heads up! I really appreciate it.
I've just finished my info pass appointment.
I've made the appointment type as "Order from immigration court" and I'm planning to take all of my application papers and the judge order etc. with me to get my new i-94.
Am I doing it in a right way?

Thanks for your advise.

Applied for EAD a(5)

11/07/2018 We received your Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.
12/14/2018 We ordered your new card.

Waiting for card in mail

Btw, I got NJ driver's license as Asylee now
They gave me just 1 year...with "limited" sign :-(
Supervisor said I am NOT resident, so I am not able to get normal 4 year license... anyone experienced this?
Also, she (Supervisor in DMV NJ) said that my Asylee status is valid only 1 year ... However, my i-94 says "asylum granted indefinitely"

Applied for EAD a(5)

11/07/2018 We received your Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.
12/14/2018 We ordered your new card.

Waiting for card in mail[/QUOTE
Hello, I have question . Do you receive EAD A5 directly after granting asylum or you apply for it , I’m wondering because using my z number, it says “fees were waived for form i765 ” for more than 18 Days now . I received my approval and i94 but not EAD.

So, today I got my EAD A05 card.
It's valid for 2 years.
Card is not valid to re-entry (I'll need travel doc for this I believe)
Card looks very similar to green card, I am not sure if this is kind of new EADs in general, or A05 just has different design

@flower201 I got my asylum case approved a month ago but I didn’t receive my EAD yet....how long it took for you to get your EAD.?? Mine was affirmative asylum...on the notice it was told that I will get my EAD in 7-14 days.....what should I do now to get my A5 EAD

Did you receive your A5 EAD??? I am on the same boat....how long it took for you....
Hello , I got my approval 1.5 month ago , I still didn’t receive my EAD , online it shows fees were waived and when I called Chicago asylum office they said it could take up to 2 months and they asked me to send them mail after the 2 months pass . My previous EAd still valid.