Reentry Permit Processing Time

May I ask some questions:

1) Can I know my status, such as when will I need to provide fingerprint in web or e-mail?
2) How much days before fingerprint appointment to be inform? Because I need to buy air ticket
3) Can I change the fingerprint appointment date?
4) What is expiry date of the I-131? File application date? Fingerprint date or else?
5) Anyone can share currently how long the waiting fingerprint date by major cities?

Thank you for any brothers / sisters help!

May I ask some questions:

1) Can I know my status, such as when will I need to provide fingerprint in web or e-mail?
2) How much days before fingerprint appointment to be inform? Because I need to buy air ticket
3) Can I change the fingerprint appointment date?
4) What is expiry date of the I-131? File application date? Fingerprint date or else?
5) Anyone can share currently how long the waiting fingerprint date by major cities?

Thank you for any brothers / sisters help!

1) About 2-4 weeks after you apply, you should receive an appointment notice in the mail for fingerprinting.
2) The appointment date is generally 1-3 weeks after the appointment notice arrives.
3) Once you have the appointment notice, you can go before the appointment date and they will usually accept you if they're not very busy. If you go for an earlier date than the official date, just hand them the notice and act as if nothing is wrong; don't say anything about the date difference unless they bring it up.

Otherwise if going earlier than or on the specified date is not possible, you can ask them to postpone the date, but that can be very unpredictable -- you might get a new date 2 weeks later or more than 3 months later.

4) The reentry permit expires 2 years after its approval date, unless you've been outside the US for over 4 years total of the past 5 years, in which case the permit would expire in 1 year.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) About 2-4 weeks after you apply, you should receive an appointment notice in the mail for fingerprinting.
2) The appointment date is generally 1-3 weeks after the appointment notice arrives.
3) Once you have the appointment notice, you can go before the appointment date and they will usually accept you if they're not very busy. If you go for an earlier date than the official date, just hand them the notice and act as if nothing is wrong; don't say anything about the date difference unless they bring it up.

Otherwise if going earlier than or on the specified date is not possible, you can ask them to postpone the date, but that can be very unpredictable -- you might get a new date 2 weeks later or more than 3 months later.

4) The reentry permit expires 2 years after its approval date, unless you've been outside the US for over 4 years total of the past 5 years, in which case the permit would expire in 1 year.

Thank you for your reply, may I ask more questions:
1) Do you mean that I can receive e-mail notification?
2) In fact that I want the fingerprint notice not come so fast, better around 5 months, any approach can slow down the process?
4) Does it mean that, the approval date should be later than the fingerprint date?

New questions:
6) Can my address is P.O. Box?
7) If my I-131 reason is I want my children finish the primary school course two years later, is it a good reason? Any evidences I should provide?

Thank you for your reply, may I ask more questions:
1) Do you mean that I can receive e-mail notification?
You can get email notification of when they receive your application, but not for the fingerprint notice.

2) In fact that I want the fingerprint notice not come so fast, better around 5 months, any approach can slow down the process?
No.

4) Does it mean that, the approval date should be later than the fingerprint date?
Yes, it will be on or after the fingerprinting date.

6) Can my address is P.O. Box?
No.

7) If my I-131 reason is I want my children finish the primary school course two years later, is it a good reason? Any evidences I should provide?
Approval of the first reentry permit is nearly automatic, so simply writing "personal reasons" is good enough. But you might be asked in more detail at the port of entry when you return to the US, and keeping children in primary school for 2 years isn't likely to be an acceptable reason. Staying abroad to finish the current school year is a good reason, or if they were in high school and needed 2 years to graduate that might also be OK, but not staying 2 years for primary school. With high school or university, transferring to the US often means having redo courses and possibly delay graduation by a year or two, but with primary school there is no such problem.

1) That mean I need my friend inform me if he/she receive my fingerprint notice?
2) How about some region such as Guam, people always get their mail thru P.O. Box, is it still not OK?
3) You mean re-entry permit only write "personal reasons"? It sounds too simple? By the way, if my children will graduate around 1.5 years, does it be the reason?
4) Another question, if I have re-entry permit, the port of entry will ask me further questions? My origrinal mind is they will not ask me if I have re-entry permit

You can get email notification of when they receive your application, but not for the fingerprint notice.

No.

Yes, it will be on or after the fingerprinting date.

No.

Approval of the first reentry permit is nearly automatic, so simply writing "personal reasons" is good enough. But you might be asked in more detail at the port of entry when you return to the US, and keeping children in primary school for 2 years isn't likely to be an acceptable reason. Staying abroad to finish the current school year is a good reason, or if they were in high school and needed 2 years to graduate that might also be OK, but not staying 2 years for primary school. With high school or university, transferring to the US often means having redo courses and possibly delay graduation by a year or two, but with primary school there is no such problem.

1) That mean I need my friend inform me if he/she receive my fingerprint notice?
Yes, if you're not there to check the mail yourself. But remember you need to be in the US when you apply for the permit, including when USCIS receives it.

2) How about some region such as Guam, people always get their mail thru P.O. Box, is it still not OK?
Do you actually reside in Guam?

3) You mean re-entry permit only write "personal reasons"? It sounds too simple? By the way, if my children will graduate around 1.5 years, does it be the reason?
Not for primary school. Once you move them to the US, they will go straight into an appropriate grade in elementary school here, whether they "graduate" from a non-US primary school or not. It's not like high school or university where leaving before graduation could result in having to redo a year or two of classes.

4) Another question, if I have re-entry permit, the port of entry will ask me further questions? My origrinal mind is they will not ask me if I have re-entry permit
The reentry permit reduces the chances of extra questioning, but it still happens sometimes even with the permit; it's not a guarantee.

Yes, if you're not there to check the mail yourself. But remember you need to be in the US when you apply for the permit, including when USCIS receives it.

Do you actually reside in Guam?

Not for primary school. Once you move them to the US, they will go straight into an appropriate grade in elementary school here, whether they "graduate" from a non-US primary school or not. It's not like high school or university where leaving before graduation could result in having to redo a year or two of classes.

The reentry permit reduces the chances of extra questioning, but it still happens sometimes even with the permit; it's not a guarantee.

I can in US when I apply the Re-entry permit, but I can't wait several weeks until USCIS receives it, is it OK?

No, I'm not live in Guam, but one of my friend live in Guam and he said Guam people like to use P.O. Box instead of home address, so I ask this question

As my children only remain 1.5 years study in primary school, I don't want him study 5 years in my home country and then 1 year in US, but you mean USCIS or port of entry does not accept this reason? Do you have any suggestions, what reasons I should provide? Thank you

I can in US when I apply the Re-entry permit, but I can't wait several weeks until USCIS receives it, is it OK?
They will receive the application in a few days after you mail it. Next day if you send it by overnight mail. Approval will take weeks or months, but you don't need to wait in the US for approval.

As my children only remain 1.5 years study in primary school, I don't want him study 5 years in my home country and then 1 year in US,
The US school year starts in August or September. If you bring them to the US at that time, they'll be put directly into an elementary school or middle school at a grade level that's appropriate for their age and academic ability. Graduation from a non-US primary school has no significance here. They won't lose anything by moving to the US in August or September this year instead of next year, so it makes no sense to give that a reason for keeping them abroad for another 1.5 years if the plan is for you and them to live in the US as permanent residents. It seems like the real reason is that YOU aren't ready to live in the US.

They will receive the application in a few days after you mail it. Next day if you send it by overnight mail. Approval will take weeks or months, but you don't need to wait in the US for approval.

The US school year starts in August or September. If you bring them to the US at that time, they'll be put directly into an elementary school or middle school at a grade level that's appropriate for their age and academic ability. Graduation from a non-US primary school has no significance here. They won't lose anything by moving to the US in August or September this year instead of next year, so it makes no sense to give that a reason for keeping them abroad for another 1.5 years if the plan is for you and them to live in the US as permanent residents. It seems like the real reason is that YOU aren't ready to live in the US.

If I sent my re-entry permit application mail in US and then leave US 3 days later, and USCIS may receive my mail after 4 days, is it OK?

I really aren't ready to live in US now, do you have any good reasons provide me to write into re-entry permit? Thank you!

With the same time, my job still not yet finish and will finish around 2-3 years later, however I'm no evidence about it, because I promise my boss verbally, can I also write in re-entry permit for a reason?

Finally, can I write same reason for whole family, for example, my spouse and my child also write the reason is my job issue?

With the same time, my job still not yet finish and will finish around 2-3 years later, however I'm no evidence about it, because I promise my boss verbally, can I also write in re-entry permit for a reason?

Finally, can I write same reason for whole family, for example, my spouse and my child also write the reason is my job issue?

On the permit application you can just write "personal reasons".

It's at the port of entry where you may be questioned in more detail. Start looking for US jobs ASAP, and move to the US when you get a good job ... if you reenter the US without a job you can tell the officer that you've been looking for a job but haven't found one yet.

"Personal reasons", it sounds very simple, a little scared :)

That mean I have job in home country, and I'm finding jobs is the reasons at POE?

In fact I really find job now, but I suspect do the employees wait me come back to home country and resign and then come back to US? It may be around 3 months!

"Personal reasons", it sounds very simple, a little scared :)
For the first reentry permit, approval is almost automatic. So you can just write "personal reasons" and it will get approved.

That mean I have job in home country, and I'm finding jobs is the reasons at POE?
If you can't find a US job, you'd say that is the reason you haven't already moved to the US.

In fact I really find job now, but I suspect do the employees wait me come back to home country and resign and then come back to US? It may be around 3 months!
So you are able to find a US job now? So take the job, send in your resignation to your old job, and bring your family over! Do you want the green card or not?

For the first reentry permit, approval is almost automatic. So you can just write "personal reasons" and it will get approved.

If you can't find a US job, you'd say that is the reason you haven't already moved to the US.

So you are able to find a US job now? So take the job, send in your resignation to your old job, and bring your family over! Do you want the green card or not?

I'm no US job now, I mean I may go earlier if I have US job offer, but I afraid it is very difficult to do it if I still live in my home country

I'm also want to know, what is e-filing? And what is time difference?

Hello Jackolantern,

Sorry to bother you, but you seem very knowledgeable in this topic and I would like to ask you a couple of questions if that is OK with you.

I'm planning to apply for a re-entry permit in December, my main doubt is, when you say something like "you can't depart from the US before USCIS receives the application" by USCIS receives it you mean:

1. The courier has successfully delivered the envelope, or

2. I have received the acknowledgment e-mail from USCIS?

I'm just trying to calculate how many days should I stay in US before departing (I'll return in January for the appointment). I estimate that USCIS will get the envelope delivered by December 13th (Friday), therefore there will be a weekend in the middle. Departing Wednesday (18th) morning will be OK? or better to move it up one more day?

Then I'll arrive to US again on January 7th and stay there until the 17th, that means I'll have exactly 5 weeks from the moment they received the application (the envelope is delivered) to get my FP done. Is this feasible? I was planning on writing a cover letter kindly requesting if possible to have the appointment somewhere between January 13th and 16th (without writing expedite) saying that I need to depart on the 17th to start on time my next term. I'll also include a pre-paid envelope for the Biometrics notice.

Sorry for the length of this enquiry.

Any comments will be welcome.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Best Regards,

Clorofilo

Hello Jackolantern,

Sorry to bother you, but you seem very knowledgeable in this topic and I would like to ask you a couple of questions if that is OK with you.

I'm planning to apply for a re-entry permit in December, my main doubt is, when you say something like "you can't depart from the US before USCIS receives the application" by USCIS receives it you mean:

1. The courier has successfully delivered the envelope, or

2. I have received the acknowledgment e-mail from USCIS?

#2 is safer. They recognize the filing date as when it's first available to them during normal business hours, which could be days after it physically arrives at their office if it arrives in the evening and/or there is a weekend or holiday right after. So for example, if Fedex delivers it at 6:30 pm on Friday, and the next Monday is a holiday, they'll treat it as being received on Tuesday.

#2 is safer. They recognize the filing date as when it's first available to them during normal business hours, which could be days after it physically arrives at their office if it arrives in the evening and/or there is a weekend or holiday right after. So for example, if Fedex delivers it at 6:30 pm on Friday, and the next Monday is a holiday, they'll treat it as being received on Tuesday.

Thank you very much for your reply, I'll check if there is any holidays those days, otherwise it seems it's OK to leave on a Wednesday if the application is delivered on a Friday (not later than noon maybe).

If possible could you comment on the rest of my post? For example, do you think the timeline for the appointment is feasible? Do you think it is convenient to send the cover letter? Or it might do more harm than good?

Thank you again.

Regards,

Clorofilo

Hi

Dear Jackolantern,

I have a green card for 2 years. I'm in Europe now. I will be in US from Oct 4th to Nov 2nd, so I have only 1 month to apply for re-entry permit. My questions are:

1- If I send my application form to USCIS on Oct 4th, would it be enough to have my biometrics done until Nov 2nd? Or is it too risky?

2- My wife is in US at the moment. Can she send the application to USCIS on behalf of both of us, even though I'm outside of US? After all, she's in US?

3- What would really happen if my wife files the application from US when I'm in Europe? Would they really understand that I'm outside of US??

many thanks in advance

Dear Jackolantern,

I have a green card for 2 years. I'm in Europe now. I will be in US from Oct 4th to Nov 2nd, so I have only 1 month to apply for re-entry permit. My questions are:

1- If I send my application form to USCIS on Oct 4th, would it be enough to have my biometrics done until Nov 2nd? Or is it too risky?
Biometrics probably would be done by Nov. 2, but it's not guaranteed.

2- My wife is in US at the moment. Can she send the application to USCIS on behalf of both of us, even though I'm outside of US? After all, she's in US?
You must be in the US when she sends in your application, including when USCIS receives it. Her application is independent of yours, and both of you must be in the US if both of you are applying for reentry permits.

3- What would really happen if my wife files the application from US when I'm in Europe? Would they really understand that I'm outside of US??
If they figure out that you were outside the US when it was filed, they'll deny it or revoke it later.

hello
i'm green card holder. for now, i live 7 month out of US. i want to apply for reentry permit. the question is :
Can i send I-131 form when i'm not in US, and only when i'll get a date for fingerprint fly to US to make fingerprint? because i can't leave my work for 3 weeks to wait for date in US. the reason why i want to get reentry permit is i need to spend about 1.5 year at my workplace to get relocation option to work at same company in US.

does fingerprint is the only procedure i need to do for reentry permit?

thank you!