July n-400

GC holder for 2 years and 9 months - married with kids to USC

LPR Since 09/27/2007 (does this mean that my file will be transfered to local office on or about 09/27/2010, at exactly 3 years for an interview date to be scheduled for me even though I've already completed everything that leads to an interview date within about two weeks?)
N-400 Mailed: 07/13/2010 (to Lewisville, TX)
N-400 Received: 07/14/2010 (Priority Date)
Check Cashed: 07/21/2010
Receipt NOA Dispatched: 07/20/2010
Receipt NOA Received: 07/23/2010
FP NOA/RFE Dispatched: 07/26/2010
FP Notice/NOA/RFE received: 07/29/2010 (scheduled for 08/16/2010)
FP Done: 07/30/2010 (walk-in, completed in 10 minutes from arrival, the place was empty, the employees mentioned that people cannot afford the filing fees in current economy. I wonder why FP appointment is scheduled on the NOA/RFE two and half weeks away, the way I see it the interview and oath will most likely be available on same day)
Yellow Letter Received: XX/XX/2010
Transferred to DO: XX/XX/2010
Interview Letter Received: XX/XX/2010 (Scheduled for XX/XX/2010 - Approved - Experience)
Oath Letter Received: XX/XX/2010 (Scheduled for XX/XX/2010 - Experience)
Now A Proud USC
Passport Application: XX/XX/2010
Passport Receipt: XX/XX/2010

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone with a fingerprint/biometrics letter should go for the walk-in process as soon as you receive it, you don't have to wait for the scheduled date and there are far less people at the processing centers now such that you will get it done quickly and get your case progressing ASAP. I did mine the day after I received the letter even though it was scheduled for 08/16/2010, the entire place only had a couple and another man plus me. I filled out the initial form and waited all alone at the next lobby for about 2 seconds and got my biometrics done. While chatting with the employees they jokingly said it seems nobody wants to be a citizen anymore perhaps because it is too expensive for them to afford now. Then I said I could have come the day before (when i actually received the letter), they said it was empty as well and it would have been a breeze for me either way and has been so for quite a while compared to five years ago when it was packed with lines outside. And this is despite the fact that this office handles both DC and northern VA applications and should have more workload compared to some other places.

So go get your FP done ASAP, don't wait for the printed scheduled date (which I am unsure why they schedule it weeks out when they should know the application service centers are not having much to do). And don't forget to get your copy of the Learn About the US Quick Civics Lessons for the Naturalization Test handbook to ready yourself for the test just in case they forget to hand it to you.

Jayoa is right, when i went to do my FP the ASC was empty. The employees told me that the whole week was like that. I did my FP in 10 min. One reason that the FP is scheduled a week or two is because the appointments have to reach the ASC in their internal system. When FP is done they have to again upload all that info in their systems and also send it the old fashioned way back to USCIS.

Applying after 5 years
I'm in Miami

07/08/10 (Day 0) N-400 Mailed application USPS express mail Lewisville, Texas
07/09/10 (Day 1)N-400 forward to another zip-code
07/11/10 (Day 3) Package delivered ( on sunday first time I see this)
07/12/10 (Day 4) Priority Date
07/16/10 (Day 8)Notice Date
07/19/10 (Day 11)check cashed
07/22/10 (Day 14)notice of Action rvcd
07/26/10 (Day 18) Request for Additional Evidence Sent
07/27/10 (Day 19) rvcd email/sms
07/30/10 (Day 22) rcvd FP letter
08/30/10 (Day 53) FP Scheduled Date

Jayoa is right, when i went to do my FP the ASC was empty. The employees told me that the whole week was like that. I did my FP in 10 min. One reason that the FP is scheduled a week or two is because the appointments have to reach the ASC in their internal system. When FP is done they have to again upload all that info in their systems and also send it the old fashioned way back to USCIS.

I don't think that is the reason why they schedule appointments way out like that because I am conversant with the systems they use. It is a central database that can pull up your details on any of their systems anywhere, even in US consulates anywhere in the world (although various posts are provided only the information about you that they need to get their job done). This is why even though you are formally scheduled weeks out on the letter if you go there on same day you receive your letter they simply enter your receipt number or scan your letter barcode and pull up your info from the database, the same database where your status info comes form when you check your status online (but you are shown far less information on status only than they see or have); real-time information deposit, search, and retrieval including biometrics and demographic data. And if you enable email and SMS notifications, the system automatically sends you a message when they, in the process of doing their job, update your application status. Other government services such as DMV also use this database to ensure they are giving ID and licenses to the eligible residents. I am an IT consultant and currently gathering info and discussing implementing the same system in my country of origin, so I know how it works, its all electronic and real-time and relies little or none on actual "paper".

I know this cannot be the reason. I realize the reason they schedule these things weeks away is to provide applicants enough time to prepare for their appointment. It will be unreasonable to schedule anyone for the day after you receive your letter or just a few days away even though the ASCs may be empty. They mention that all appointments are scheduled at least two weeks away on their information details I read on their publication. So its up to you to be ready to go in as soon as you get your letter.

reason they schedule these things weeks away is to provide applicants enough time to prepare for their appointment. It will be unreasonable to schedule anyone for the day after you receive your letter or just a few days away even though the ASCs may be empty. They mention that all appointments are scheduled at least two weeks away on their information details I read on their publication. So its up to you to be ready to go in as soon as you get your letter.

I agree:D

New York City Timeline
N400
07/23/2010 Application sent to Lewisville TX ( Day 1 )
07/26/2010 Fedex Delivered ( Day 4 )
07/30/2010 G1145 Confirmation Notice via email and SMS ( Day 8 )
08/24/2010 FP Done. ( Day 33 )
02/09/2011 : Interview Date ( Day 202 )
04/04/2011 : Re-Interview ( Day 256 )
05/09/2011 : USCIS Appointment (Told to come back at 120 days timeline) ( Day 291 )
05/23/2011 : Called USCIS (Spoke to Tier II Level and was told to wait for another 90 days ( Day 305 )
06/11/2011 : Received email( Supervisory checked completed: Moved to Post Decision Activity ( Day 324 )
06/23/2011 : USCIS Appointment ( inquire about OL) ( Day 336 )
08/05/2011 : Oath Date ( Day 379 )
xx/xx/2011 : Passport Received ( Day xxx )

Anyone with a fingerprint/biometrics letter should go for the walk-in process as soon as you receive it, you don't have to wait for the scheduled date.
There's a reason why USCIS schedules applicants at a specific time: it allows for order of the FP process. Also, not all ASCs allow early walk ins. Simply attempting an early FP walk in for no other reason amounts to skipping the line ahead of others.

There's a reason why USCIS schedules applicants at a specific time: it allows for order of the FP process. Also, not all ASCs allow early walk ins. Simply attempting an early FP walk in for no other reason amounts to skipping the line ahead of others.

You mean skipping a line where there is none? The only reason some ASCs don't accept walk-ins is if they are busy as the USCIS rep told me over the phone when I asked about doing a walk-in or if the person attending to you is simply a jerk using his/her discretion unreasonably. I already mentioned that they stated in their publications that they schedule appointments a couple of weeks out to enable applicants prepare for it (even if the ASCs are empty), which makes sense. Its up to you to go on same day you get the letter provided they are not busy and you don't encounter a jerk that wants to feel like God or is simply having a bad day and takes it out on you.

You mean skipping a line where there is none?
There's an order (line) to the way they schedule FPs; that's why they have a date/time on the FP letter. With your logic, it's perfectly ok for someone to do an early walk in for no other reason than thinking their case will be processed faster. If everyone used your logic, the ASCs would be chaotic as applicants would go for their FP outside of their normal schedule, which typically means m-f/8-5. Walk ins are at the discretion of the ASC staff based on availability and/or individual ASC rules.

There's an order (line) to the way they schedule FPs; that's why they have a date/time on the FP letter. With your logic, it's perfectly ok for someone to do an early walk in for no other reason than thinking their case will be processed faster. If everyone used your logic, the ASCs would be chaotic as applicants would go for their FP outside of their normal schedule, which typically means m-f/8-5. Walk ins are at the discretion of the ASC staff based on availability and/or individual ASC rules.

There would be no difference if everyone did a walk-in simply because if the ASC is busy they will turn you away otherwise they will do it for you. It is pretty simple and straight forward and some people have been turned away for such reasons. 5 years ago one could not do a walk in in the DC DO because it was packed with lines outside but recently it is as quiet as the heavens. Back then and even now they ask if you have an appointment, back then if you did not have an appointment they will surely turn you away because they were struggling with tons of applicants lined up but today you tell them no you don't have an appointment and they still take your NOA/RFE to see what you are there for and they give you the form to complete to proceed with the process. And they were sure glad to have me because they were clearly bored. LOL.

Applying after 5 years
I'm in Miami

07/08/10 (Day 0) N-400 Mailed application USPS express mail Lewisville, Texas
07/09/10 (Day 1)N-400 forward to another zip-code
07/11/10 (Day 3) Package delivered ( on sunday first time I see this)
07/12/10 (Day 4) Priority Date
07/16/10 (Day 8)Notice Date
07/19/10 (Day 11)check cashed
07/22/10 (Day 14)notice of Action rvcd
07/26/10 (Day 18) Request for Additional Evidence Sent
07/27/10 (Day 19) rvcd email/sms
07/30/10 (Day 22) rcvd FP letter
08/02/10 (Day 25) FP Done early (Walk in- Oakland Park, Florida)
08/30/10 (Day 53) FP (original date)

No point of trying to discuss this any further with such a statement.

Of course, we are all here sharing our experiences, opinions, speculations, and understanding of the whole process to comfort ourselves and calm our fears through the process. Unless you are an attorney, you know no more than anyone else here and I will not advise anyone to take any advise here or on any immigration forum as final but to do their research in actual law books.
I posted two questions I know nothing about but have read others' speculate about and you can't help to answer it since you know so much, here it is again, maybe you missed it before and perhaps you also know the internal workings of the USCIS;
I am currently 2 years and 10 months into my green card and married with kids to a USC. I have done everything up to biometrics within two weeks of the N400 application. The question is; will my application be held until it is fully three years before it is transfered to the DO for me to even get an interview? Or will they insure that my Oath happens after the full three years?
Many here have speculated that they hold applications until the full term (3yrs or 5yrs) before they transfer it to the DO.

Of course, we are all here sharing our experiences, opinions, speculations, and understanding of the whole process to comfort ourselves and calm our fears through the process. Unless you are an attorney, you know no more than anyone else here and I will not advise anyone to take any advise here or on any immigration forum as final but to do their research in actual law books.
I posted two questions I know nothing about but have read others' speculate about and you can't help to answer it since you know so much, here it is again, maybe you missed it before and perhaps you also know the internal workings of the USCIS;
I am currently 2 years and 10 months into my green card and married with kids to a USC. I have done everything up to biometrics within two weeks of the N400 application. The question is; will my application be held until it is fully three years before it is transfered to the DO for me to even get an interview? Or will they insure that my Oath happens after the full three years?
Many here have speculated that they hold applications until the full term (3yrs or 5yrs) before they transfer it to the DO.

There had been number of posts of applicants who were interviewed before completion of mandatory 3/ 5 years. They had to wait for oath ceremony after approval. Walk in and early FP may not be in ones interest in all cases. Please check time line for your DO. Please read old posts it will be in your interest.

Another fact, you will be disappointed with USCIS information system once your case is transferred to local office. There is no update on their system after that. Even after getting your citizenship the system will show your case transferred to local office for scheduling interview. Please do not have high expectations.

Like mahd4 said, there have been numerous applicants who have reported being interviewed before the full term, either after their case was transferred to DO, or without their case having been transferred to DO . It's not set in stone in USCIS whether you will or will not be interviewed before your full term is met. There even have been a few applicants who reported that the IO canceled their interview for a later date since they didn't reach the term date. However, one thing is certain: you will have to wait until after your term is reached in order to perform the oath.

Like mahd4 said, there have been numerous applicants who have reported being interviewed before the full term, either after their case was transferred to DO, or without their case having been transferred to DO . It's not set in stone in USCIS whether you will or will not be interviewed before your full term is met. There even have been a few applicants who reported that the IO canceled their interview for a later date since they didn't reach the term date. However, one thing is certain: you will have to wait until after your term is reached in order to perform the oath.

While I appreciate your response, I would like to know if there is somewhere I can confirm this statement?; "However, one thing is certain: you will have to wait until after your term is reached in order to perform the oath."

While I appreciate your response, I would like to know if there is somewhere I can confirm this statement?; "However, one thing is certain: you will have to wait until after your term is reached in order to perform the oath."
Before an applicant can be naturalized via oath, certain basic requirements (outlined in 8 CFR 316, INA 316, 8 USC 1427) must be met, including continuous residency. If you don't meet one of the requirements, you can't be naturalized..simple as that.