Denied TN-visa, employer decide to let me go

Wingo,

Thanks for the reply.
If you dont mind telling me, Do you get the boarding pass first but do not check in luggage
and then go to the TN Office? How does this work?

Whats that about the 30 day eligibility period for employment letter?
My original offer letter is dated Nov 21, 2008 with an anticipated start of 12 Jan, 2009,
which is now extended (not explicitly) due to holidays and some other delays to Jan 20, 2009.
After I got the offer and I accepted it, I sent in my documents to the company lawyer.

The company lawyer has now sent a package dated Jan 7, 2009 with all the supporting docs (including G28) from both sides. So there is no exact start date but it has a few pages of details of where and under whom I will be working and my duties. Its quite extensive.

Is this an issue?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
When you go thru US Immigration and customs, you check your luggage, it's tagged etc, BUT you carry it thru with you until you pass both Immigartion and Customs.

If you don't make it thru, you still have your luggage.

As to the 30-day requirement, I've never heard of it, but it certainly makes sense. Due to the rapid nature of getting a TN, it would make sense that the decision to hire and the hiring would take place in short order. The letter needs a date, but not a statrt date.

Why on earth would you need a G28? Nothing is being sent to CIS, and the lawyer is not representing you in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you go thru US Immigration and customs, you check your luggage, it's tagged etc, BUT you carry it thru with you until you pass both Immigartion and Customs.

If you don't make it thru, you still have your luggage.

As to the 30-day requirement, I've never heard of it, but it certainly makes sense. Due to the rapid nature of getting a TN, it would make sense that the decision to hire and the hiring would take place in short order. The letter needs a date, but not a statrt date.

Why on earth would you need a G28? Nothing is being sent to CIS, and the lawyer is not representing you in any way.

Thanks.

Well, the lawyer has sent it and it one of the documents mentioned in the letter to the TN Officer, So I might as well carry it.

If the officer doesnt need it, so be it.

Well, the lawyer has sent it and it one of the documents mentioned in the letter to the TN Officer, So I might as well carry it.

Considering that you won't be dealing with USCIS and you attorney will not be representing you, the G-28 is pointless. Makes me wonder what this so-called attorney was thinking.

Considering that you won't be dealing with USCIS and you attorney will not be representing you, the G-28 is pointless. Makes me wonder what this so-called attorney was thinking.

I work for a big corporation and their lawyer used to the same thing. One time the CBP officer laughed at it and told me that I didn't need a lawyer and I told him it was not up to me and my employer used the lawyer.

I guess this is a way for the lawyers to tell the employer the application is kosher and the $2000 that the employer paid the lawyer for a TN application was worth it!! :rolleyes:

Since this was your first TN, you were still resident of canada[/B]Since you now have your 3-year TN, please tell me you formally cancelled your mail-in! Otherwise, when it is approved, for one year, it will be come your new TN, and you will lose 2 years of validity.

Thank You Nelsona & I'm sorry for the late reply

The Point was they only allowed me to pass the border with denial one out of three times

Since I was getting the input from you guys thru this forum, asked my HR Manager to send a letter to officially withdraw the I-129 (I have drafted and she printed & signed). In the website it still shows the original e-file date only, as updated info. It is close to 3-1/2 months now

Your OHIP card will take 3 months, so I wouldn't necessarily wait for that...

I am curious though....Did you (Wingo) declare your departure to OHIP? if so, then you dont have to wait for the 90 day residency requirement...Your OHIP card will become activated right away (assuming you've been in US for less than 5 yrs)