Green card for the baby born outside USA

Thanks Jackolantern !

how does the same scenario play out for a child born outside US to a USC father and non LPR non Citizen mother ? Is the child eligible for citizenship or LPR status and is it the same process?

Does this also apply if only one of the parents is an LPR. (i.e child born to an LPR father and non-LPR mother outside of US ). In such a case, Is the child eligible for GC during first entry in to US with the LPR parent ?

how does the same scenario play out for a child born outside US to a USC father and non LPR non Citizen mother ? Is the child eligible for citizenship or LPR status and is it the same process?

The child may acquire citizenship, if certain conditions are met. See http://travel.state.gov/law/info/info_609.html

If those conditions are not met, the USC father would have to file for the child using the full-blown green card process. But after completing that process and having the child enter the US as a permanent resident, the child could immediately obtain US citizenship by living with the USC father, based on the Child Citizenship Act.

Ravinka,

I would like to ask you a few questions regarding the process for bringing a child born in India to the US. Please let me know if you have a few minutes to talk.

Does anybody know what the process? Do you know what documents I need to provide at the port of entry with the child?

I will really really approciate if someone could help me with understanding the process.

Thank you

Also, if the parent, especially the mother is on green card, then there are some 'special circumstances' and you need to act fast. As Jackolantern asked, what is the immigration/USC status of parent and specifically the mother.

HTH

If the child is born to parents who are green card holders and they come to the united states within 2 years of its birth with the proper documentation the child becomes a permanent resident as well.

Hi,
I have a question. Once the mother (who is a green card holder) returns to the U.S. with the baby and the baby's green card process is initiated at the POE, can the mother and baby leave the U.S. before the baby's physical green card is mailed by USCIS to the mother's U.S. address? Is the stamp in the baby's passport enough to allow the baby to travel while the green card arrives?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

A quick question to all of you that went through the process.. Did USCIS officials take the infants' pictures during the processing (at the Secondary Inspection)? Did you sign a form I-89 for the processing of the Alien Registration Card or Greencard for your children?

This is the only way you can know for certain if a card is on its way. If you did complete the form I-89, then a card will be issued and is on its way. If not, you may have to go to a local USCIS office to complete the process. Basically, if the child's picture and information was not captured during entry, then it is unlikely a card was ordered. All they may have done at the POE was create an A-file for the child and recorded lawful entry into the US.

Hope this helps you out in some way. I would urge you to take time off and schedule an InfoPass because they will be able to look up your child's record and see a card was ordered or not. They may also be familiar with the process and inform you on what steps to take.

Good luck.

I have a quick question though i know it's many years down the line. Our baby was admitted at the poe with a letter and a stamp at the passport and on the letter also. They took his photos and all the necessary docs. We left US after 2weeks of stay but my host address is still intact and the same ones we used at the airport. My question is,
1. its now 4mnths down the line and no greencard for him as yet.
2.Can we travel back to US with that letter and stamp at the passpport.(XN-3)

Yes, you'll be able to bring the baby back to the US with that letter and passport stamp. But you should also bring his birth certificate to prove the parental relationship.

Yes, you'll be able to bring the baby back to the US with that letter and passport stamp. But you should also bring his birth certificate to prove the parental relationship.
I want to clarify something. His original birth certificate was taken at the POE together with Photos and vaccination card. I inquired from them why they are taking the original BC and they said i can always get it back. I have a copy of it though. In the letter it says " To avoid delay in processing of your application, please do not call or write to inquire about the current status of your case".
Has anybody been in such a situation as an LPR?

The birth certificate is mainly for the airline agent who might give you trouble without it, unless your passport or the baby's passport says who the parents are. Once you arrive at the POE they already have enough info in the system to know the baby is yours and that the baby is a permanent resident, so it's not important to have the birth certificate at the POE.

Order another birth certificate (or two or three) from the issuing authorities in the country of birth. It's not easy to get back original documents from USCIS/CBP.

The birth certificate is mainly for the airline agent who might give you trouble without it, unless your passport or the baby's passport says who the parents are. Once you arrive at the POE they already have enough info in the system to know the baby is yours and that the baby is a permanent resident, so it's not important to have the birth certificate at the POE.

Order another birth certificate (or two or three) from the issuing authorities in the country of birth. It's not easy to get back original documents from USCIS/CBP.

Thank you for your input and the advice. I just hope that is all that is needed when traveling back to US.
1.Should we check with USCIS when we get back or just stick to what the letter says and wait for his greencard?

When you get back in the US make an Infopass appointment to inquire about the baby's green card. You have already waited too long for it.

Just to clarify -- the key factor is not the child's first trip; it must be the LPR parent's first trip to the US since the birth, when the child is being brought to the US.

In other words, if the LPR parent already entered the US after the birth but without the baby, the baby will not get LPR status as a result of being brought with the parent on another trip, even if the subsequent trip is the first trip together with the parent and also the child's first trip.

I'm wondering should that be BOTH father and mother first trip to the US?
We have the same situation, we are green card holders and our child is born in Germany (4 months ago). I have once entered the US (alone) and come back to Germany (that trip was for job interview). Now what if my wife only take our child to the US? This would be their first trip after the birth.
Will our baby be eligible to obtain green card?

Appreciate your response.

I'm wondering should that be BOTH father and mother first trip to the US?
We have the same situation, we are green card holders and our child is born in Germany (4 months ago). I have once entered the US (alone) and come back to Germany (that trip was for job interview). Now what if my wife only take our child to the US? This would be their first trip after the birth.
Will our baby be eligible to obtain green card?

Appreciate your response.

Only the mother. See http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87519.pdf

looks like you are in good shape where the mother can bring the child with her to the US. How long has the mother been outside the US on LPR?

exactly what cafeconleche said, make sure you don't fall into the AP trap. get back to the US before 1 year expiry, get the physical green card of the child in hand and then roam about as you need to. all the best!

anybody help please!!!!
Our child has born after the visa issuance of parents and we both me, my wife and my 3 month old baby have came to the US 2 weeks before with TRANSPORTATION LETTER of my baby. In port of entry the Homeland security officials stamp temporary i-551 on my baby's passport and they request a photographs of my baby and they attached the photograph on the specific form (I don't know the form name). last week i have gone to the social security office to apply our social security card and everything went smoothly but finally officer said both me and my wife's social security card process is ok but our baby's card can not process at the moment because of unavailability of "A number" which printed on the visa (My baby don't have a visa). so my question is.....will they send my baby's green card? and is the green card contain the A number???

thanks in advance for your replies

Last edited by a moderator: