Green card for the baby born outside USA

kcr

Registered Users (C)
Hi

We the parents are green card holders and the baby is born in India. We came back to US with the baby(4months old) and at the POE, the baby got the stay permit till May 2009. The stamp on her passport says 'temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence valid until May 29, 2009).

My question now is that do we have to apply GC for her and is anyone have experience in this case, please reply.

Thanks

Hi kcr, I have a question. So after the baby is born in India, you got the Indian passport for the baby and did you get any visa before you board the flight? It looks like if parents are green card holders, kid gets a green card by default. Wonder what is the legal procedure to get one. Thanks in advance.

It looks like if parents are green card holders, kid gets a green card by default.
It's not by default. The kid doesn't get permanent resident status until being brought to the US by the green card parents, within the first two years of birth. I suppose the parents got a Transportation Letter or some other document from the consulate abroad in order to take the baby to the US.

return home

Hi

My baby born in january 08. We got the birth certificate from municipal office and applied for passport. While coming back from India, I got a document (not transportation letter) saying that the kids born for GC holders outside USA does not require visa. Before we fly, we also spoke to the airline people(delta) and confimed about this situation. so in bombay we did not have any problems with the airline before boarding. And at the port of entry we have to go through secondary inspection. Overall everything went smoonthly.

kcr.

While coming back from India, I got a document (not transportation letter) saying that the kids born for GC holders outside USA does not require visa.

Thanks kcr.. Where did you get the document from? Was it from US Consulate in India? Thanks in advance.

Hi

I got the document from US consulate, delhi. When you go there make sure you take the baby's passport and birth certificate. I can send you the document if you give me your personal email address.

http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/legal_permanent_residents.html

I am a legal permanent resident of the U.S. While I was outside the U.S., I gave birth to a child. Now I wish to return to the U.S. May I take my child with me?

As outlined in 9 FAM 42.1 N1.1, a child under two years of age who was born of a Permanent Resident Alien mother during a temporary visit abroad does not require an immigrant visa in order to travel to the United States if the alien parent is in possession of a valid Form I-551 (i.e. green card), a valid reentry permit, or an SB-1 visa. The child must be admitted to the U.S. within two years of birth and the accompanying parent must be applying for readmission upon first return after the birth of the child. We suggest that the accompanying parent carry documentary evidence of his or her relationship to the child, including the child's passport and birth certificate.

Hi

I got the document from US consulate, delhi. When you go there make sure you take the baby's passport and birth certificate. I can send you the document if you give me your personal email address.

same here, I got the document from the US Consulate in Delhi in March.. the child's passport is stamped with the stamp as well... will the greencard arrive automatically or will one have to notify the USCIS in the US?:confused:

I'm also in the same situation. I'm waiting for the response from dept. of immigration.

A quick question to all of you that went through the process.. Did USCIS officials take the infants' pictures during the processing (at the Secondary Inspection)? Did you sign a form I-89 for the processing of the Alien Registration Card or Greencard for your children?

This is the only way you can know for certain if a card is on its way. If you did complete the form I-89, then a card will be issued and is on its way. If not, you may have to go to a local USCIS office to complete the process. Basically, if the child's picture and information was not captured during entry, then it is unlikely a card was ordered. All they may have done at the POE was create an A-file for the child and recorded lawful entry into the US.

Hope this helps you out in some way. I would urge you to take time off and schedule an InfoPass because they will be able to look up your child's record and see a card was ordered or not. They may also be familiar with the process and inform you on what steps to take.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
LoLali

Hi Lolali

At the port of entry, the immigration officials took my baby's photograph, but we did not fill any form like the you mentioned. This is almost end of second week since we arrived. Do you think we have to take infopass appointment now or wait for one more week?

Thanks for your reply.

Hi Lolali

At the port of entry, the immigration officials took my baby's photograph, but we did not fill any form like the you mentioned. This is almost end of second week since we arrived. Do you think we have to take infopass appointment now or wait for one more week?

Thanks for your reply.

The word "form" is misleading, because the I-89 is a simple form designed to capture the applicant's name, date of birth, address, picture, and one-digit fingerprint to be produced on the greencard. So, based on your response, I think you child was processed for a greencard and you will most likely get it in the mail. (They used to use the I-89 form for all adjustment of status applicants before they introduced the biometrics automated production system.)

However, for your peace of mind, if you don't get anything within 30 days - I think that is the time they ask for newly arriving immigrants to wait - get an InfoPass and find out what is going on.

Document from consulate

Hi kcr,

This is ravika. I have a plan to go to India for my delivery in may'10. We r greencard holders. I dont know anything abt how to bring the baby here to US. What kind of a document is that? Canu pls send it to my e-mail id? Your help is really appreciated..
Thanks in Advance..

Once the child is born in India, get a passport for the child. Then contact the nearest US consulate and ask for a "transportation letter".
Just out of sheer curiosity, why not deliver the child in the US and avoid all this hassle?

I have a plan to go to India for my delivery in may'10. We r greencard holders. I dont know anything abt how to bring the baby here to US. What kind of a document is that?

Thanks a lot for ur reply. Due to my family situation I'm forced to go to India for delivery..Is is easy to get a Transportation letter? or do we need to fill any kind of forms?