Misc. OCI Application Questions

All - We are planning to file our OCI application in Washington, DC. As part of the application process, is there a way to indicate that we would like to pick it up in Chennai or Delhi?

Thanks,

No. As far as I know, final OCI processing (get U-Visa sticker on US passport and OCI booklet) must be done at the consulate/embassy where the application is made. This has been discussed multiple times on this forum.

Don't you need OCI before travelling to India? What will you do when you return to US and you don't have OCI on hand?

Don't you need OCI before travelling to India? What will you do when you return to US and you don't have OCI on hand?

You can travel to India on a visa. It is duplicate effort (time and money) but sometimes it is better to do this while OCI is being processed.

In response to OP, you pick up the OCI only where you submit application.

Since we are moving to India for good, wanted to find out if we can pick it up in India without having to come back to the DC Embassy just for pick-up. We would go on a visa.

I have a question on this one. Is it mandatory to apply for new OCI and U-Sticker when I get new US Passport?(since his current is expiring in 3 months) Also what are all the documents I need send? (Current OCI Original/Copy of old U-Sticker & New US Passport)?

Since we are moving to India for good, wanted to find out if we can pick it up in India without having to come back to the DC Embassy just for pick-up. We would go on a visa.

When will you be leaving? If you have at least one and a half month in between, apply for OCI. Mine took 39 days to process.
Since you will be moving for good, it will be better you get OCI to avoid FRRO registrations, police station reporting, etc etc hassles.. Also it has the life long validity.

If you are moving for good, you can file either from US or from India. You can pick only at the location you submitted.

#1. If there is no urgency to start work in India, apply from India. It will take 2-4 months, but it will get done. No FRRO registration required before 6 months. This is true for entry visa, but not sure if it will work for employment visa.

#2. If you need to start work quick, you can either take OCI from US, or work visa. However, work visa has a lot of constraints - you can not change company, most likely will require FRRO, it is only for 1 year (and may not let you avail of transfer of residence ... but that can be done in spouse name)

My advice will be to apply from US if you have a month or 2 before you move, and apply from India if you do not. Do not do the middle way.

Help Please - OCI application for children

Am about to send in OCI applications for my kids and would like your inputs on putting the application at Washington DC office and to see if there are any red flags on my check list(s) below:

Self: US Citizen, an OCI
Spouse: GC Holder
Kid-1 : US Citizen, PIO Card holder
Kid-2 : US Citizen

Step 0. Fill the applications as individual for both of them and not use family option

Checklist for Kid-1(5 years old):

1. Part-A with Left thumb impression
2. Paste Photo on Part-A - 2 copies
3. Application Signed by Parent
4. Part-B with Left thumb impression in the box
5. Notarized copy of first two and last two pages of US Passport
6. Notarized Copy of birth certificate
7. Copy of Cancelled Indian passport of Parent(one with particulars)
8. Copy of OCI Card of Parent - Is this required ?
9. Original PIO Card and a copy of the card - Is the original required at the submission ?
10. 1 Additional Photo with name written at the back
11. $145 Fee

Checklist for Kid-2(8 months old):

1. Part-A with Left thumb impression
2. Paste Photo on Part-A - 2 copies
3. Application Signed by Parent
4. Part-B with Left thumb impression in the box
5. Notarized copies of first two and last two pages of US Passport
6. Notarized copy of birth certificate
7. Copy of Cancelled passport of Parent(one with particulars)
8. Copy of OCI Card of Parent - Is this required ?
9. 1 Additional Photo with name written at the back
10. $275 Fee

Two sets of paperwork for each application.

Am I missing anything ?

Thanks for all your time.
garu1gsr

Last edited by a moderator:
I did apply for my child's OCI after I got my OCI....

5. & 6. I did not notarize passport copy and birth certificate copy. I did self attest saying "it is a true copy....."
8. Yes. I did send copy of my OCI with my child's OCI application
10. I think you need to send two additional photo's

Thanks for the response. Have you already got approval for your child ? Also, where did you file for OCI ? Washington DC ?
I did apply for my child's OCI after I got my OCI....

5. & 6. I did not notarize passport copy and birth certificate copy. I did self attest saying "it is a true copy....."
8. Yes. I did send copy of my OCI with my child's OCI application
10. I think you need to send two additional photo's

Thanks for the response. Have you already got approval for your child ? Also, where did you file for OCI ? Washington DC ?

What is the need to attaching cancelled passport of parent when you are sending copy of OCI of the parent ?

Their website does not specifically ask for a document to prove parent was of Indian origin. Guessing that adding an additional document will do no harm.
What is the need to attaching cancelled passport of parent when you are sending copy of OCI of the parent ?

OCI for My kids (US born)

Hi

1. I would like to know if I could apply OCI cards for my kids [1 yr and 7 yrs] (both are US born Citizens).
I and my wife have Indian passports and we have returned back to India for good. My kids have PIO cards for their stay in India.
2. Can I avail educational reservations for them?
3. Will I end up paying more for their education, as they are US citizens? Looking for a work around on this?

Kindly reply !

Regards
Shaji

Basic rule for applying OCI for kids born abraod is that any one parent should be US citizen.
In your case you both are still holding Indian citizenship so I would say you cant apply for their OCI

Foreign born minor children of Indian parents (both parents are Indian citizens) are not eligible for OCI. They need to go with PIO option till one of their parents gets a foreign citizenship or till they reach age 18.