Misc. OCI Application Questions

Welcome to the club.
BTW - Which CG are we talking about?
My application was received by CGINY on 12/23/09, I have not even received my "Return Receipt", let alone acknowledgement.
These personnel at CGINY are really taking their own sweet time, even to open our packets/send RR to us.
Hold on tight !!
Regards.

OCI application sent 12/18/2009
Delivered per USPS 12/23/2009

Welcome to the club.
BTW - Which CG are we talking about?
My application was received by CGINY on 12/23/09, I have not even received my "Return Receipt", let alone acknowledgement.
These personnel at CGINY are really taking their own sweet time, even to open our packets/send RR to us.
Hold on tight !!
Regards.

OCI application sent 12/18/2009
Delivered per USPS 12/23/2009
GC_Mangta
Could you please post the information what type of photographs you sent with OCI to NYC? Did you sent Photo 2X2 taken at Costco,CVS with white background or 3.5x3.5 with white background or color background. if taken photographs at home and then got printed please let me know the process. I want to send it to NYC Indian consulate
Thanks for the help.
Good Luck!!

35mm x 35mm with light blue background - digital picture taken, then modified with epassportphoto.com, printed at CVS for 25 cents.
Regards,

thanks for the tip ginnu.
I am going to India for 5 months. I can't postpone oath ceremony because then I'm out of the country for too long and because anyway I can't control when they will give me new date.
But thanks, I learned something from you. If I apply for visa they will not keep my Indian passport, but just cancel it and return it.
If I apply for PIO, will they keep my Indian passport? In that case I will have trouble when applying for OCI later.
How long do I need from the time I mail my application to SFO consulate to the time I receive the OCI in the mail. What do you guess?

thanks for the tip ginnu.
I am going to India for 5 months. I can't postpone oath ceremony because then I'm out of the country for too long and because anyway I can't control when they will give me new date.
--------- you are correct
But thanks, I learned something from you. If I apply for visa they will not keep my Indian passport, but just cancel it and return it.
------------correct . Before going for Indian visa stamp make 3-4 copies of the full passport (all the pages) and keep at home.
If I apply for PIO, will they keep my Indian passport?
-----------No, they will return Indian passport with “Cancelled Stamp”.
In that case I will have trouble when applying for OCI later.
-----------No, You only need the copy of First 2 pages and last 2 pages of Indian passport to apply for OCI.

How long do I need from the time I mail my application to SFO consulate to the time I receive the OCI in the mail. What do you guess?
----------you should read the SFO OCI thread and will find postes who got OCI through SFO. My guess is from the date you send OCI application to Indian consulate SFO then it takes about 45 to 65 days to get OCI.
---------

---------

"How long do I need from the time I mail my application to SFO consulate to the time I receive the OCI in the mail. What do you guess?
----------you should read the SFO OCI thread and will find postes who got OCI through SFO. My guess is from the date you send OCI application to Indian consulate SFO then it takes about 45 to 65 days to get OCI."

Just apply for OCI Card as soon as your Naturalization Certificate or US Passport is available. I got my OCI card in 20 days. If you are lucky you may get it sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again Ginnu.. I have some more questions tho ;)
Is it ok if I make a color scan of my passport? And then print whenever I need to?
Do I need to notarize these scanned copies?
What does self - attestation mean?

Is it ok if I make a color scan of my passport? And then print whenever I need to?
What does self - attestation mean?

You can just use photo copies of originals.
Self-attestation- You can write
" Certified to be true copy of original" -Your Name and sign and date it.
There is no need to notarize and spend money.
Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it ok if I make a color scan of my passport?
--------Yes(and also Print the copy)
And then print whenever I need to?
---------Yes
------ For OCI you need only self - attestation. If you notarize they dont have problem
What does self - attestation mean?'
-------- Write"True copy of the original" then write your name and your signature and date.
---------

I have several Indian passports...

When applying for OCI, they want proof that you held Indian citizenship. At SFO, they ask for your original most recent passport. I have 3 Indian passports. Why can't I send in an older passport as proof? This is a hypothetical question. I have my latest passport so I will follow the rules and send that. But I'm just asking, why can't an older passport serve as proof?

When applying for OCI, they want proof that you held Indian citizenship.
-----You or your parents were Indian Citizens
At SFO, they ask for your original most recent passport. I have 3 Indian passports. Why can't I send in an older passport as proof? This is a hypothetical question.
----------Do you know that Different Indian consulates ask different size/color photographs? They are like Indian municipality. When the Delhi accept 2X2 photo many ask 35X35 size. Many have not updated site and many consulate still have wrong info for PIO card holder if want OCI then they have pasted $25 fee and now it is $145 and they don’t update.
I have my latest passport so I will follow the rules and send that.
But I'm just asking, why can't an older passport serve as proof?
------------It should but they want to Cancel the passport that is the reason they may be asking to send latest Indian passport

-------

After taking US citizenship oath , I never surrendered my Indian passport. I have not been out of USA ever since I took oath and I understand that I cannot use my Indian passport .

When I apply for my OCI should I also send in my original Indian passport ?

Has anyone used 2x2 photo from CVS ?

OCI Validity Question

I am going to apply for OCI thru Houston as I am in FL.

When I apply for OCI and it is approved and stamped in my passport, if that for life. I know the passport will expire and I will renew to a new one, however, I have two options. Stamp a new OCI in the new passport or take Old and new passport, old having OCI and new for the entry exit.

So just wanted to confirm. OCI is for life and had to pay and take it only once. is that correct?

$25 fees+ envelope/postage to mail the documents +Fee to get the documents from Consulate through mail.

Submit OCI Application in DC and pickup in India

All - We are planning to file our OCI application in Washington, DC. As part of the application process, is there a way to indicate that we would like to pick it up in Chennai or Delhi?

Thanks,