• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Visa Bulletin For August 2015

Good luck with the studies and all the best as you move on with your life @FSW2015. Don't stop giving the lottery a shot, DV2017 registration period is right around the coner!

We wsill have to "wait and see" in a couple of months. In DV2013 Iran got a huge number of visas. DV2014 was a huge disaster for Iran - with many people left on AP (people that had paid their DV fees and medicals etc). So - maybe KCC think Iran can return to the DV2013 scenario??? We won't know for sure until we see the final numbers....

maybe......i don't want to come off as a whiner.........I am a Canadian Citizen and i know there are tons of other people who needed this much more than i did who has just had their dreams unfairly snatched from them.

but is it not true that Non-Nepal/Iran winners in Asia have the least chance of becoming current than anybody in the entire DV lottery in the current scenario and approach employed by KCC?
it's a minor miracle to get picked in the first place, and then you've got the KCC working to ensure Nepal and Iran Maxes out. (apparently), but i still think there's something happening that we don't know about

but if your opinion is right, that the KCC is "holding the door" for Iranian APs and it's guaranteed every year Nepal maxes out, there has to be changes, these countries must be separated because if not, there really is no point for anyone in Asia not from Nepal or Iran to enter......the odds are stacked up against ROA more than anybody in the entire DV Lottery.

if they are trying to "return Iran to 2013", you mean like pay them back for 2014?, that's actually silly on their part because different people won each year, they haven't paid anybody back. People that got screwed in 2014 are still screwed

There are so many devastated people and I m honestly more upset for them than i am for myself. Especially those with families living in dangerous countries, there must be changes
anyway i just needed to vent my 2 cents, i wish everybody the best in their future

Well, what a bumpy ride, and it's come to an end!
Looking back 14 months ago, I never thought my CN will never become current. Back then, it appeared it was only a matter of time, then the sad truth started loom in the horizon, and that allowed me to make peace with it over the last few months.
Nevertheless, I can never say "I wish I was never selected", sure it hurts a lot to miss out like that, but the hope that I've been living really motivated me to keep going on, and reminded me to focus on the positive aspects of my life in a war-torn country. After all, how many people get to win a lottery? I'll forever be grateful.

Enough with the poetry, there are some well-deserved thanks that need to be offered at the end of this journey:
- First and foremost, to the amazing mods of this forum: @Britsimon , I'm forever in your debt, and I'm not the only one, you've helped hundreds get their visas at the expense of your personal time, and @Sm1smom , our loving mom, and AoS expert, thank you from the bottom of my heart!
- Our wonderful, and one-of-a-kind, @SusieQQQ , ever ready to help.
- Our dear experts whose great knowledge helped a lot of people: @EURO2014 , @DV4ROGER , @Martin9 , and @vladek15425 , among others.
- My fellow friends with whom I shared the boat of high RoA CN: @Anxiety2015 , @Sensei-san , @NaraLB , @Idea Mani , and @Smurfette . I'm going to miss our group chat. Wish you the best guys, whatever you do!
- My friends who are still under the hated AP, @Nahar333 , and @AFT . I hope you get your visas real soon.
- All members of this great forum whom I had or had not contact with. You helped make this place as great it is.

To all who got their visas: Congrats, enjoy the US. To all who became current: Good luck in your interviews. And to those, like me (and our controversial friend @siliconeslinger ), who missed out: Life doesn't stop here, it was indeed a great opportunity, but more and hopefully better ones are bound to come our way.
I'm sorry if I have forgotten anyone, you're all in my mind. I'm going to be taking a break from all DV-related stuff for a while, and will be preparing for my next challenge: graduating from med school and getting a new NIV. I wish you all the best of luck!
I feel truly previledged to have lived this experience!

Oh yeah, and DV-2017, here I come!! ;) ;)
Sigh, this is so sad, for all of us.
FSW, you really are smart, kind, and respectful. I wish you the best in your life!

maybe......i don't want to come off as a whiner.........I am a Canadian Citizen and i know there are tons of other people who needed this much more than i did who has just had their dreams unfairly snatched from them.

but is it not true that Non-Nepal/Iran winners in Asia have the least chance of becoming current than anybody in the entire DV lottery in the current scenario and approach employed by KCC?
it's a minor miracle to get picked in the first place, and then you've got the KCC working to ensure Nepal and Iran Maxes out. (apparently), but i still think there's something happening that we don't know about

but if your opinion is right, that the KCC is "holding the door" for Iranian APs and it's guaranteed every year Nepal maxes out, there has to be changes, these countries must be separated because if not, there really is no point for anyone in Asia not from Nepal or Iran to enter......the odds are stacked up against ROA more than anybody in the entire DV Lottery.

if they are trying to "return Iran to 2013", you mean like pay them back for 2014?, that's actually silly on their part because different people won each year, they haven't paid anybody back. People that got screwed in 2014 are still screwed

There are so many devastated people and I m honestly more upset for them than i am for myself. Especially those with families living in dangerous countries, there must be changes
anyway i just needed to vent my 2 cents, i wish everybody the best in their future
I quite agree with you, and not only because I missed out.
I hope Sensei-san won't mind me borrowing this chart that speaks better than words:

upload_2015-4-2_16-22-59.png

So yeah, the law says that all applicants should have a chance of being selected (it IS a lottery, in the first place), but doesn't say anything about all selectees having an equal chance of actually getting the visa, which makes this whole more unfair than many people claim..

Looking back 14 months ago, I never thought my CN will never become current. Back then, it appeared it was only a matter of time, then the sad truth started loom in the horizon, and that allowed me to make peace with it over the last few months.
Nevertheless, I can never say "I wish I was never selected", sure it hurts a lot to miss out like that, but the hope that I've been living really motivated me to keep going on, and reminded me to focus on the positive aspects of my life in a war-torn country. After all, how many people get to win a lottery? I'll forever be grateful.

Enough with the poetry, there are some well-deserved thanks that need to be offered at the end of this journey:
- First and foremost, to the amazing mods of this forum: @Britsimon , I'm forever in your debt, and I'm not the only one, you've helped hundreds get their visas at the expense of your personal time, and @Sm1smom , our loving mom, and AoS expert, thank you from the bottom of my heart!
- Our dear experts whose great knowledge helped a lot of people: @EURO2014 , @DV4ROGER , @Martin9 , and @vladek15425 , among others.
- My fellow friends with whom I shared the boat of high RoA CN: @Anxiety2015 , @Sensei-san , @NaraLB , @Idea Mani , and @Smurfette . I'm going to miss our group chat. Wish you the best guys, whatever you do!
- My friends who are still under the hated AP, @Nahar333 , and @AFT . I hope you get your visas real soon.
- All members of this great forum whom I had or had not contact with. You helped make this place as great it is.

To all who got their visas: Congrats, enjoy the US. To all who became current: Good luck in your interviews. And to those, like me (and our controversial friend @siliconeslinger ), who missed out: Life doesn't stop here, it was indeed a great opportunity, but more and hopefully better ones are bound to come our way.
I'm sorry if I have forgotten anyone, you're all in my mind. I'm going to be taking a break from all DV-related stuff for a while, and will be preparing for my next challenge: graduating from med school and getting a new NIV. I wish you all the best of luck!

I don't know you but i wish you the best
you seem like a good person.
i, too, never thought i could miss out on becoming current, just judging from the past years, i never imagined this for even one second, and only started getting nervous around May, but nevertheless

Sometimes things fall apart so better things can fall into place

we have no way of knowing what would've happened if we had actually moved to the USA, there's no guarantee of a great life.......i've read stories of DV Winners in the USA and not all of it was pretty.
Things happen for the best, there are unlimited opportunities in this world of ours, no one thing can stop us

good luck :)

Last edited:
I hope Sensei-san won't mind me borrowing this chart that speaks better than words:

View attachment 557

So yeah, the law says that all applicants should have a chance of being selected (it IS a lottery, in the first place), but doesn't say anything about all selectees having an equal chance of actually getting the visa, which makes this whole more unfair than many people claim..

i know....i know..........it's almost like Asia is not eligible for the DV program, they can get picked sure, but what's the point of being picked if your chances of getting an interview are almost zero ......in the current approach by KCC, all the lower ranges are taken up by Iran and Nepal (Britsimon explained to me that can't be helped), most of the high ranges are therefore taken up by the Rest of Asia, Nepal always maxes out, Iran, from now on, will max out because KCC is helping them now it seems.......you get nothing left for everyone else, it's almost like Asia is ineligible

there must be changes, either separate Nepal/Iran, or make certain Asian countries ineligible, it's better than allowing a bunch people to get picked who in reality, have almost no chance of actually getting to the embassy

I just feel bad for people because not everybody goes on forums on the internet, a lot of people have no knowledge of any of this stuff, and they just get this letter telling them they have a chance for a green card, they think they have a good chance at a better life and start to save money, but they never really had much of a chance in reality and they're just sitting there waiting in vain, it's really a cruel thing to do to people who are looking for a new life for their families and they think they got lucky

im just blowing smoke at this point .

No I don't mean to pay Iran back. What I mean is that whatever caused the AP nightmare backlog in DV2014 might have been better organized for this year. That means that more Iranians would get approved through AP in time before the year ends.

The point you correctly made earlier is that the Iranian and Nepalese numbers are concentrated in the first 9000 case numbers. I have explained why that happens on my blog and here. But while that is the case, they will get more visas - and, if AP clearing times were not an issue. would probably max out (hit the 7% limit). It isn't that an Iranian case at 2321 is given an interview before an ROA case at a lower number, it is that the proportion of Iranians and Nepalese is so much higher per 1000 cases in the early numbers.

In terms of the odds of selection, an ROA case has the same chance of getting selected with case number AS1 as a Nepal or Iranian case.

I can't believe this is happening. My number is current EU42xxx. Thanks to all you awesome guys. What do i need to expect now ? DS260 was submitted back in June 2014. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks again for all your efforts, and predictions. I learned a lot.

View attachment 557

The numbers for DV2015 actually changed between Nepal and Iran - but the chart makes the point. The Iranians had around a one third of the chance of being a selectee compared to an ROA applicant. They should have had the same chance of selection, so actually what happened is that the top two thirds Iranian selectees got "disqualified" before they even knew they were selected.

To make it less upsetting for the ROA selectees, they can only do the same to them - i.e. disqualify most of them even before informing them they were selectees.

I can't believe this is happening. My number is current EU42xxx. Thanks to all you awesome guys. What do i need to expect now ? DS260 was submitted back in June 2014. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks again for all your efforts, and predictions. I learned a lot.

You will get your 2NL in about 2 weeks time.

What good grace! All the best for your future plans, though I do hope you'll pop up here again with a low case number in a future DV year!

I've miraculously gone current! Congratulations to all winners!

Condolences to those who missed out. Especially to the people in Asia, Africa and South America who were hit particularly hard.

I am so happy for you! I expected your avatar to get updated to a happier looking monkey, possibly banging cymbals and dancing :D

OC had a long tail so there will be disappointed OCers out there. They would have known they weren't going current but it's still a hard pill.

I hope the lower number of selectees in 2016 will mean less of a tail and less disappointment.

Me too! Actually, I'm gunning for 'no tail'.

Good luck with the studies, and let me know if you come to SF (UCSF is nearby)!

And of course - good luck ikn DV2017. Hopefully that year will be better as they find the new normal....
Thank you Simon!
I'm more of an Ohio guy (yeah Ohio) I've done a lot of training courses in hospitals over there, but my cousin is a Stanford student, so I definitely won't miss the chance to visit sunny California!

My dear brother, I feel too bad for you and others who missed this year. This was totally unexpected. Anyway, soon you'll be a great MD as you are a great soul. It was very nice to meet you. Good luck to everyone over 7650 in their lives.
Thanks man! Wish you the best as well, I'm sure you'll get your visa soon!