Re-entry permit timeline inquiry

Ok. I just hope that the address is correct, because reentry permits had been sent to Nebraska. Instructions today mention Dallas and Arizona instead of Nebraska's center. It seems to be a new thing.

I am writing to share with you the on going experience for filing the form I-131 RE ENTRY PERMIT on behalf of a friend. After sending in the application, My friend got a letter two weeks later that contained I-797C, Notice of Action with a receipt number. After that he received another letter 19 days later with I-797C, Notice of Action for capturing finger prints and taking photograph at an Application Support Center near his city. His case is still in process now.
I posted a question on this forum regarding checking the status of a case on the USCIS web site, as a way to follow the progress of my friend’s case. However no one has replied to it yet.
Here is my question again; perhaps someone will provide some input.

When a receipt number is entered for checking the status of a case, a sort of a time line will be shown concerning the status of the case. The following stages are displayed with one being marked with a darker color as an indication of the current case status:
Acceptance, Initial Review, Request for Evidence, Testing and Interview, Decision, Post Decision Activity, Document Production.
My question is how to go about understanding the shown case status in terms of the time line of the case progress. The case status was shown as “Acceptance”. Does the case move through all the above stages before it is finalized? If so, how long will it take for the re-entry permit to be finalized, bearing in my that the finger prints have already been done.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if you choose to deliver Reentry permit to consulate abroad, how many letters from USCIS you get?

Just two ?

Was I supposed to send I-131 to Nebraska or Phoenix, AZ ????

I really don't know if I used correct address and there is not way to find out. I've been waiting for 2 weeks and still no response.

I hope so :)

damn, bureaucracy , there are actually 2 valid instructions for re-entry permits. The last one says Phoenix and the other one, which is also valid a officially available on the internet says Lincoln, Nebraska.

Do I need confirmation number to walk-in to ASC or also the appointment letter?

Somebody said it's possible to do early walk-in to ASC prior to scheduled date ? If so, do you guys know, whether you can visit different ASC office for that purpose (in another city) ?

Yes you can do an early walk-in at a different location. But as usual, with a walk-in, there is no guarantee they will accept you; they make the decision to accept or reject walk-ins when you show up and they see how busy or empty they are at the time.

I'm getting nervous as my departure date is getting closer (1 month). I has been 18 days and still no word from USCIS. According my bank account ,they even haven't cashed my check yet.

Is there a way how to speed them up?

I'm getting nervous as my departure date is getting closer (1 month). I has been 18 days and still no word from USCIS. According my bank account ,they even haven't cashed my check yet.

Is there a way how to speed them up?

The time is variable and differ from case to case. Some people rec'd the appointment letter after few months and there is nothing you can do

Small update to my case. My check was cashed on the weekend, but still no receipt letter.

What is an infopass exactly ? What about this strategy:

When I get my receipt number - can I go online and make and infopass and get my biometrics taken without waiting for actual bio appointment letter ?

When I get my receipt number - can I go online and make and infopass and get my biometrics taken without waiting for actual bio appointment letter ?
Some people have tried that, and they were allowed to give fingerprints without the appt. notice ... but with one guy, a couple weeks after giving fingerprints the actual fingerprint notice arrived. He didn't go, and got denied for missing the appointment.

Once you do something that strays from their usual bureaucratic procedures, you risk having things go wrong.

Thank you Jackolantern, I also feel, that if something doesn't go according usual bureaucratic procedures = then there is a risk.

1) What that guy, who got denied, did then? Did he appeal ?

2) I have heard that there is approximately 90 days after the scheduled biometrics appointment, when you can still have your fingerprints taken if you miss the appointment. Is that true? Because I may be out of town and miss that appointment coming in next month probably.

Same question. What happens if you miss your bio-appointment? Is your case automatically denied or you can just walk-in later?

Great, so I finally received my FP notice to appear at local ASC center for my fingerprints to be taken. It's in a few days and right now I know, I'll be unable to make it there, because I will be far away in another state.

I get heart attack from words clearly printed on the notice:

"if you fail to appear as scheduled, your application will be considered abandoned"

Nothing says that I can come earlier or later. Now, should I just let it be and try to walk-in to different ASC later or do some official rescheduling?

Try to go early. I've done it in NYC, my brother has done it in LA, and we both were allowed in with no problem. Go when they first open, if you can.

Thank you. But as Jackolathern mentioned, there could be risk if sth doesn't go in order. However I don't have any other option.

So you say it worked for you perfectly? Did you go to the ASC where you were scheduled? In my case, I wanna go different time (earlier) to different ASC in another state.

Anybody has positive/negative experience with that?

Oh, I don't know about that, but if you have a valid reason, I'm sure you can reason with them. Just say you're traveling soon and you need to get this done now, and you called CIS and they said it wouldn't be a problem to go to a different ASC early.