• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

@andrewDV17 I would say the UK police certificate is going to be too old by the time your interview comes around - you'll need a new one, even if you haven't been back to the country. I thought I remembered reading somewhere if they were issues 12 months ago or more it's best to get a replacement.

I will be taking police clearances for Singapore and Australia that are just under a year old, will let you know if I run into issues with that. My UK one (as it's where I live) will be less than a month old for my interview.

Hi OCers! OC10XX here. I have been following this thread for a while and wanted to thank everyone for all the excellent advice and information, its been very helpful.
Extremely happy to say that I received my 2NL today and we are scheduled for an interview in May!! Just a question for those who have been through the interview process already, how long does it usually take after the interview to receive your passport back? We are meant to be travelling out of the country 3 days later, so it may be cutting it a little close. I can probably change the flights, but I wanted to ask here first what the usual period of time is between the interview and receiving the visa (obviously if no extra docs are requested)? Should I just call the Embassy (interview scheduled here in Bangkok) to ask the approximate number of days it usually takes? Thanks so much to all!

Hi all,

OC13xx here (from the second draw, DS260 submitted September 2016), I just wanted to let everyone know that to my surprise (shock really), I have just received an interview date of May 4th! I'm currently living in Vancouver, Canada and my interview will be held in Montreal. I suspect this is why I have been given a date so early? I honestly wasn't expecting this so soon, I'm not sure I will be prepared in time. Well, I mean I think my biggest concern is receiving my Australian police check within the next few weeks. I have gotten one previously while living here (for a Canadian visa application) and it only took one week to arrive, but I'm wondering if it's a bit risky (I'd hate to book flights and go through with the medical and then not receive it in time). In saying this though, I have not lived (only visited) in Australia since receiving that certificate, so even though that police check is 18 months old that should be fine?

"Police certificates expire after one year, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued."

It's just the word "returned" that I'm not 100% on.. I mean I assume they mean returned to live, and that short trips to visit do not count.

I know there is also risk if I try to reschedule the interview. I'm not in any rush though, and wouldn't mind having an extra few months of validity to move over when the time comes. Anyway, any thoughts on this are appreciated, thank you!

Oh, and I have also lived in the US for a period of 7 months before, but my understanding is that I do not need a police clearance for that time because it was in the US?

Just a question for those who have been through the interview process already, how long does it usually take after the interview to receive your passport back?

@ziggy2000, it might be worth doing a search of Bangkok on the forum to find out the turnaround time. Sydney Consulate is quick (we interviewed on Tuesday, had our passports back with us on Thursday in Melbourne).

@KW29, I would apply for a new police check now. Take the old one with you to the interview. If they accept the old one, you're golden. If they don't, at least you have one on the way and it will shorten your AP time. You'll be out by $40 at worst. And no, you don't need a police clearance for the US. KCC will have done those checks when they processed the DS260.

Hi guys,

I have my interview coming up. What is the process after your successful interview. Is there a time limit you have to be within the United States? As in permanently settled? I have a contract in Asia that ends in July 2018 and i'd really like to complete it and then settle in the states if that's possible.

Any help you guys could give me would be amazing.

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I have my interview coming up. What is the process after your successful interview. Is there a time limit you have to be within the United States? As in permanently settled? I have a contract in Asia that ends in July 2018 and i'd really like to complete it and then settle in the states if that's possible.

Any help you guys could give me would be amazing.

Thanks!

Your visa is valid max 6 months from issue (sometimes shorter). Read up on what risks you losing a green card; if you're absent from the US longer than 12 months you are deemed to have abandoned residency (but it's more subtle than that re keeping it). Generally as a DV immigrant many people make an activation trip, then you have up to a year after that to return for good. If you try flit in and out to "keep" your green card, that's when you hit problems.
We maxed our time and it was all ok - entered 5 days before our visas expired (in retrospect not sure I'd cut it that fine again) and then back for good 11 months later.

Make sure you file tax returns with the IRS for all years you need to as well, as a resident, while you are out of the country. Not doing so is immediately a red flag about whether you have maintained residency.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what components of the vetting process are made before the interview and after it? Essentially, how is the process split up, or what the sequence of it is? Are all the background checks in all countries etc made in advance, so then the interview is just receiving the right paperwork in hand? Wouldn't it be more likely they keep some investigations until after the interview to save time and money (why look into a person if they haven't formally made the immigrant application at interview yet?).

I'm not worried about what can be found, but rather the length of time it takes for someone with a colourful travel background, for example.

Between us, my husband and I have lived in 8 countries. We were approved on the day.

The KCC will have done its checks. The police checks you provide confirm what they know.

@EmilyW That's great - very reassuring to hear! :D I've been reading up on the most recent interview experiences on Britsimon's website, and looking forward to hopefully posting my own positive experience next week.

In the meantime I'm trying not to drive myself crazy.. I know logically it's all straightforward, but I have too much time on my hands now to obsess over it :rolleyes:

KCC runs the initial background checks which is quite intensive, but often incomplete because they do not have the fingerprints as at when the checks are done prior to the interview.

For CP, a final check is done on the day of or after the interview, following the biometrics capture. This check is what sometimes lead people to finding out they're on AP right after the CO possibly congratulated them - giving the impression they will be approved assuming the last check doesn't end up being a 'hit'.

Hi OCers.

Long time reader - thanks so much for all the information so far. So helpful!

I'm in the 900s. Submitted my form in September, then reopened in October because I'd gone to the US for holiday in Sept/Oct and needed to update it. So just waiting for my 2NL for Auckland. I have a few questions... totally freaking out about them.

1. My high school diploma (University Entrance) is under my Mum's married name (my step Dad's last name). My Mum never changed my last name legally but it was used between the ages 6-18. I've used my birth last name since then. So my form, passport, University degrees etc are all in my birth last name. I know this caused drama when I applied for University. Should I take my Mum's marriage certificate to the interview? Or is there something else I can do?

2. I lived in the UK for 11 months. Obviously this is under the one year Police check requirement. But do you guys think I should get one anyway. Just in case?

Thanks

1. When you filled in your DS260, did you put down that you have been known by that surname from the ages of 6 to 18? If not, you should have. I would take the marriage certificate just in case.

2. I'd do the ACRO check. Always err on the side of caution. :)

I have got my interview scheduled for late May. I have however moved to another country under Provisional visa and have been here for over a year. If I do get the Visa for US then would it mean that I will not be able to qualify for a PR to my current country of residence? Since I am here under Provisional visa there is no guarantee that I will get PR and I do not want to lose on this US Visa opportunity if the prior one doesn't work out.

I have got my interview scheduled for late May. I have however moved to another country under Provisional visa and have been here for over a year. If I do get the Visa for US then would it mean that I will not be able to qualify for a PR to my current country of residence? Since I am here under Provisional visa there is no guarantee that I will get PR and I do not want to lose on this US Visa opportunity if the prior one doesn't work out.

Your current country will have its own rules, you'll have to find those out. But if the residency requirements are anything like the US (where, pretty much you have to actually live there) you'll probably have to choose between them.

1. When you filled in your DS260, did you put down that you have been known by that surname from the ages of 6 to 18? If not, you should have. I would take the marriage certificate just in case.

2. I'd do the ACRO check. Always err on the side of caution. :)

I did put it down but I don't remember it asking for dates. Great - thanks on both counts EmilyW. I think I'll see if NZQA will reissue my diploma with my birth name as well just in case. Both my Bachelors and Masters are correct name wise.

Ok, that's good you put it down! They don't ask for dates for previous names, so you're good there.

Honestly, I don't think it will be a problem, so long as you can explain the discrepancy.

Your visa is valid max 6 months from issue (sometimes shorter). Read up on what risks you losing a green card; if you're absent from the US longer than 12 months you are deemed to have abandoned residency (but it's more subtle than that re keeping it). Generally as a DV immigrant many people make an activation trip, then you have up to a year after that to return for good. If you try flit in and out to "keep" your green card, that's when you hit problems.
We maxed our time and it was all ok - entered 5 days before our visas expired (in retrospect not sure I'd cut it that fine again) and then back for good 11 months later.

Make sure you file tax returns with the IRS for all years you need to as well, as a resident, while you are out of the country. Not doing so is immediately a red flag about whether you have maintained residency.

Thanks so much!

Quick follow up question - for an activation trip - how long do you need to be in the states for to get your green card?

Ok thanks, and i'm guessing you have to be in the US for that entire duration....

A long time for an activation trip! ~_~

Not if you have someone you trust to receive the GC on you're behalf - you're not required to be in the US for the duration.