• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

Welcome and congratulations @AppleBound! Tuesday is such an awesome day in OC land. If you need any help ahead of your move, just message me and I'll do what I can.

Hi All, 1st time posters but long time readers. Thanks for everyone's commentary & assistance over the journey, Mrs AppleBound & myself interviewed today in Sydney & thankfully no issues for us & we were approved. Its been a long journey to get here - at least 5 DV Lottery's followed by the waiting game since being selected & now its finally done. Really appreciate everyone's feedback in this forum as it helped out immensely in the preparation for today & planning for our activation trip.

So How'd today go? Despite everyone's feedback of Sydney being 1 of the better embassies to attend it wasn't all roses: unfortunately a guy ahead of us was declined due to country of origin (European but with Australian citizenship) & then a family was placed on AP as they'd hadn't completed a lot of the requirements before attending.

Anyway our process went seamlessly, all the documentation was correct & in the right order so we were in & out in under 40 mins. A young family interviewed & were approved right ahead of us which was a good sign given what else we'd seen. The questions as follows:

IO: Is this your first time applying for DV Lotterry?
Us: Jokingly no its been atleast 5 times (he also laughed)
IO: Whats your highest level of education?
Us: Bachelor of Business, have VCE certificates
IO: You've had a previous marriage, any kids
Us: No
IO: You guys are married now, any kids
Us: No
IO: OK so your visa has been approved & you should get your passports back in a week or so
Us: Ummmm great thanks (secretly thinking where's the balloons, streamers, Gaga performance etc)

We left kind of stunned but also had ride the lift down with the AP family which was really awkward. The whole process was kind of surreal but not half as intimidating since reading this site & Britsimon's

Will probably post more in the next few days once we come back down to earth

Being properly prepared makes all the difference. So when we say it's easy, we mean for those people that have read here (and my own humble site) and are prepared. No doubt the AP could have been avoided, and the European with Australian citizenship would have been an obvious catch for us.

...Mrs AppleBound & myself interviewed today in Sydney & thankfully no issues for us & we were approved. .... unfortunately a guy ahead of us was declined due to country of origin (European but with Australian citizenship) ...

the European with Australian citizenship would have been an obvious catch for us.

Congratulations, NewYorkBound :)
Just a question....I assume the European with AU citizenship was declined because he put down Australia as country of eligibility, while he was actually born in Europe, is that correct? That was a terrible mistake. of course the chances are higher to be selected in the OC region but that's not the point.
We are dual EU/AU citizens living in Australia, but we put down EU as region of eligibility (DV 2018) because we were both born there.

Congratulations, NewYorkBound :)
Just a question....I assume the European with AU citizenship was declined because he put down Australia as country of eligibility, while he was actually born in Europe, is that correct? That was a terrible mistake. of course the chances are higher to be selected in the OC region but that's not the point.
We are dual EU/AU citizens living in Australia, but we put down EU as region of eligibility (DV 2018) because we were both born there.

You did it right. The others mentioned did it wrong.

Hi all, thought I'd pop in to share my heart attack of the day, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced this...

So, being the eager beaver I am, I decided to check the status of my visa issuance on CEAC. I want that piece of paper in my hands! Anyway, I headed to the CEAC website, entered my CN, finally got past the captcha (my eyesight is shocking) annnnd then I see it.
Administrative Processing.
AP.
The death knoll of my hopes and dreams.

A million things start going through my mind and I feel sick. My shaking fingers quickly type "CEAC showing AP even though they said I was approved" into Google... and it was then that I realised that every case states it's on AP for the first day or two after verbal approval. Phew! I got my happy ending tonight though - my status changed to "issued" a few hours ago. :)

~ The End ~

Hi all, thought I'd pop in to share my heart attack of the day, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced this...

So, being the eager beaver I am, I decided to check the status of my visa issuance on CEAC. I want that piece of paper in my hands! Anyway, I headed to the CEAC website, entered my CN, finally got past the captcha (my eyesight is shocking) annnnd then I see it.
Administrative Processing.
AP.
The death knoll of my hopes and dreams.

A million things start going through my mind and I feel sick. My shaking fingers quickly type "CEAC showing AP even though they said I was approved" into Google... and it was then that I realised that every case states it's on AP for the first day or two after verbal approval. Phew! I got my happy ending tonight though - my status changed to "issued" a few hours ago. :)

~ The End ~

There is also a FAQ entry on that very thing in my site. :rolleyes:

I did refer to your site first Simon (the CEAC page with explanations of the different statuses) but I obviously missed that! :oops:

Easy way to find stuff on my site is to add "Britsimon" to the search term. So - search for "Britsimon CEAC showing AP even though they said I was approved" and you would get the FAQ entry.

Hi guys,

I've got my activation trip at the start of March, I'm planning to return back to the US in 6 months. However it seems like I might be pushed into coming back in 11 months. Do you think this might cause trouble returning back to the US? I know the political situation has changed and need a recommendation.

Hi guys,

I got into a discussion with an Australian expat on Facebook that kind of freaked me out. I currently have an activation trip planned for next month. Basically our visa medical expires sooner than we were able to make the permanent move. There's a lot to tie up at home first. We need to arrive in the States before April 1, so I booked a cheap return Jetstar flight for two weeks to Hawaii before we come back permanently later in the year. I'm sure the Facebook commenter is not a visa law expert, but she's saying that if you come into the states on a DV with a return flight booked, you'll run into trouble at the airport and they'll refuse to issue your Green Card - and then you cannot return to the States without that green card. I thought it was common for people to make a brief activation trip. For instance, the DV winner in an article on the Age Traveller site went to Hawaii for "a couple of days" as she wasn't ready to move (sorry this forum won't let me post a link for some bizarre reason. The article is titled "How I won the US Green Card Lottery"). Please tell me I won't run into trouble at the airport in Hawaii for having a return trip booked! We're hoping to eventually settle in LA, however our closest friend is in Boston and we put his address as our contact address for delivery of the Green Card, which he can hopefully send on to us - or can we re-enter during the first 12 months after first activation without the Green Card if it hasn't arrived yet? Sorry for the ramble, the conflicting advice is making me panic a little.

Hi guys,

I got into a discussion with an Australian expat on Facebook that kind of freaked me out. I currently have an activation trip planned for next month. Basically our visa medical expires sooner than we were able to make the permanent move. There's a lot to tie up at home first. We need to arrive in the States before April 1, so I booked a cheap return Jetstar flight for two weeks to Hawaii before we come back permanently later in the year. I'm sure the Facebook commenter is not a visa law expert, but she's saying that if you come into the states on a DV with a return flight booked, you'll run into trouble at the airport and they'll refuse to issue your Green Card - and then you cannot return to the States without that green card. I thought it was common for people to make a brief activation trip. For instance, the DV winner in an article on the Age Traveller site went to Hawaii for "a couple of days" as she wasn't ready to move (sorry this forum won't let me post a link for some bizarre reason. The article is titled "How I won the US Green Card Lottery"). Please tell me I won't run into trouble at the airport in Hawaii for having a return trip booked! We're hoping to eventually settle in LA, however our closest friend is in Boston and we put his address as our contact address for delivery of the Green Card, which he can hopefully send on to us - or can we re-enter during the first 12 months after first activation without the Green Card if it hasn't arrived yet? Sorry for the ramble, the conflicting advice is making me panic a little.

Hi Gharrison,

There is no problem to return back home and finish up any pending items. Just make sure you are not outside of the U.S. for more than 1 year or you will need a reentry permit. Here is the link of USCIS with more info on this topic https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/international-travel-permanent-resident

Hope it helps and best of luck in your new life in the U.S.

Hi guys,

Don't listen to clueless people. It will be fine.

Hi guys,

That's complete nonsense. I entered on a return ticket for my activation trip and i know many others did too - for the same reasons as you need to. To refuse you a green card they would actually have to refuse you entry on your immigrant visa, as you become an LPR the second they stamp your passport on entry. Remember a physical greeen card is just proof of LPR status, not the be-all and end-all by itself.

If you try to live elsewhere and keep entering every 6 months or something on a return ticket each time then yes, you'll run into problems. Just the first time - you'll be fine.

That's complete nonsense. I entered on a return ticket for my activation trip and i know many others did too - for the same reasons as you need to. To refuse you a green card they would actually have to refuse you entry on your immigrant visa, as you become an LPR the second they stamp your passport on entry. Remember a physical greeen card is just proof of LPR status, not the be-all and end-all by itself.

If you try to live elsewhere and keep entering every 6 months or something on a return ticket each time then yes, you'll run into problems. Just the first time - you'll be fine.
Thanks!
After a bit of back and forth it turns out the person who gave me this "advice" hasn't even entered the US themselves yet! Honestly...
Yes we're hoping to settle toward the end of the year, or at the latest first thing next year. Before our 12 months is up in any case. I would've thought there's some understanding that to pack up houses and wind up jobs etc that people may need to go back for a period before finally settling.

We did an activation trip with return flights booked. Was in the US for three weeks before returning to Australia for 7 months. That person is clueless and shouldn't be posting like they know anything about the process.

Thanks for the reassurance, everyone. I guess I blindly expected that someone answering questions on an "Australians in LA" FB group had, you know, actually arrived in the US! Should've brought my questions here first.

Hello everyone. I, too, am a long time reader and first time poster.

I also wanted to thank this page for all its guidance and support throughout this process. I had my interview on Valentine's Day and it was very smooth.

I work in the same building as the embassy, so it was a relatively easy morning. I dumped most of my non-essential belongings at my desk and took the elevator to level 10, about 20 minutes before my scheduled interview at 915am. It was surprisingly an efficient and relatively quick process. I was back at my desk by 10am.

The interview was straight forward. The consular official asked me basic questions about my marital status, whether I had any children, the longest time I spent out of Australia and my highest level of education. Before the interview commenced, I was asked to swear an oath that the information in my DS-260 application was true to the best of my information, knowledge and belief. I said that I wanted to take the opportunity to correct an answer, as I recently discovered that I have ancestral citizenship through my father's side of the family. The consular official just waved his hand and said "well, apart from that, is everything else true and correct?". I laughed and said yes.

I was approved on the spot and had my passport back by Friday with my visa and sealed packet.

This has been an incredibly long journey, but at the same time it feels like it is only just beginning. I have leave booked for the middle of the year and that is going to be my activation trip. The plan is to move to NYC but when that actually happens is difficult to say.

I will definitely be reading up on the other threads for all the info regarding entry, finding a job, obtaining health insurance, tax implications etc.

This place has been a God send! Thank you all so much!

Ms N :)