• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

If the GC is approved I can t come back using the H1B visa ? Can someone send me my card by mail ?

Coming into the US on a visa when your LPR status has been approved is a major no no. Plus your H1B visa gets cancelled anyway following the AOS petition approval.

Mailing out the GC is typically frowned upon, but people still do it anyways. Also bear in mind if it gets lost in the mail, you'll be stuck outside the US pending when you can get the embassy to issue you with a temporary permit - which will cost you financially, in addition to the $450 and months of waiting to get a replacement GC when you finally get back.

ok i see it make sense, I had a look in a couple of website and it look like that the officer can issue a I-551 at the 2ndry inspection or they can ask for a differed inspection at the closest CBP office.

Arg i definilty need to do that travel and it will be bad if i get approved in the meantime.

ok i see it make sense, I had a look in a couple of website and it look like that the officer can issue a I-551 at the 2ndry inspection or they can ask for a differed inspection at the closest CBP office.

Arg i definilty need to do that travel and it will be bad if i get approved in the meantime.

Oh well, good luck with that.

Definitely not an option I would pursue in this volatile Trump immigration era.

as the supreme court allows the travel ban to go into effect, does it affect AOS applicants from the six countries?

It is currently not clear if USCIS will adjudicate such petitions now. I am not aware of any formal guidance on how the ban will impact AOSers from those banned countries. There are unconfirmed reports though that such case will go unprocessed, they will be placed on indefinite hold.

as the supreme court allows the travel ban to go into effect, does it affect AOS applicants from the six countries?
Hello GCseeker,

I had exactly the same question. I am a member of Immigrant United group on Facebook. A video has been uploaded in this group and the person who is talking is an attorney.
In summary, she said the travel ban just affects the people who are outside the United States. People who have application in USCIS will not be affected. I hope it helps and I hope it really does not affect the AOS application :)

Nothing wrong with having a multiple GC petition in the system, so you can proceed with the DV based AOS petition if you like. You'll have roughly 3 months to complete the process - you'll need to be approved by Sept 30th.

The downside is the fact that you guys already have plans of spending a significant amount of time outside the US for summer. You'll need to have a plan in place for attending your bio and interview appointments which may be scheduled for when you're outside the US.

Thank you very much for your reply Sm1smom. We already had our BIO done for the other process last July . Is there any way to leverage on it? To what extent can we reuse what we did before?

Hello GCseeker,

I had exactly the same question. I am a member of Immigrant United group on Facebook. A video has been uploaded in this group and the person who is talking is an attorney.
In summary, she said the travel ban just affects the people who are outside the United States. People who have application in USCIS will not be affected. I hope it helps and I hope it really does not affect the AOS application :)
I hope so, although we face extreme vetting anyway. I have been stuck in background check for about seven months. I don't know where this roller coaster is going, wish for a happy ending tho.

Thank you very much for your reply Sm1smom. We already had our BIO done for the other process last July . Is there any way to leverage on it? To what extent can we reuse what we did before?

The NBC/FO will determine if the bio from last year is still valid enough for them to use and not require you guys to do a new bio for the DV based AOS petition. However, you wouldn't know unless you submit a DV based AOS petition which must include all the required forms and documents regardless of what you already submitted for the employment based AOS petition.

Had my interview today in Mt. Laurel, NJ. Arrived there 30 minutes early and I was interviewed after ~15 minutes of waiting inside. Everything went very smoothly. The officer only wanted to see my DV Selectee letter, my passport and the original copies of my High School Diploma and Birth Certificate, and then he went over the questions at the end of the I-485. He requested a visa number on the spot and approved me right after, so I should get my green card in the mail within two weeks. Online status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced" about an hour after that.

Many thanks to everybody on this forum for your help throughout the process, especially Mom. The AOS guide and this forum are an incredible resource for DV applications. They really make this otherwise daunting process very accessible.

Had my interview today in Mt. Laurel, NJ. Arrived there 30 minutes early and I was interviewed after ~15 minutes of waiting inside. Everything went very smoothly. The officer only wanted to see my DV Selectee letter, my passport and the original copies of my High School Diploma and Birth Certificate, and then he went over the questions at the end of the I-485. He requested a visa number on the spot and approved me right after, so I should get my green card in the mail within two weeks. Online status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced" about an hour after that.

Many thanks to everybody on this forum for your help throughout the process, especially Mom. The AOS guide and this forum are an incredible resource for DV applications. They really make this otherwise daunting process very accessible.

At last! :) Congratulations!!

Hello Forum,

I had my interview last week, and finally received my GC today in the mail. I am officially green as of today.:D:D:D
I would like to thank each and everyone in this forum for sharing their experience and helping out whenever they can. I am grateful and extremely thankful to you @Sm1smom and @Britsimon for all your guidance and support. It would not have been possible without your help. May god bless you both for the wonderful help that you are providing to us. I went through several dilemmas in this one year period time, and I cant thank you enough @Sm1smom for your guidance throughout the whole AOS process.

So regarding the interview:
The interview was very straight forward and simple. The officer just went through all the documents and asked basic questions from the form I-134 and I-485. The officer told me that it was a very straightforward case and nothing else needs to be done. He was very well informed, and when I asked about KCC file and Background check, he gave me a straight "We have your file and your background check is clear" answer.

I took all the possible documents that I could possibly think of, but he only asked to see my original birth certificate, passport, and EAD card. At the end of the interview he told me that I should receive my card within 2 weeks.

Thank you again @Sm1smom and @Britsimon for your help.
How do I add my info on the timeline ?

Hello Forum,

I had my interview last week, and finally received my GC today in the mail. I am officially green as of today.:D:D:D
I would like to thank each and everyone in this forum for sharing their experience and helping out whenever they can. I am grateful and extremely thankful to you @Sm1smom and @Britsimon for all your guidance and support. It would not have been possible without your help. May god bless you both for the wonderful help that you are providing to us. I went through several dilemmas in this one year period time, and I cant thank you enough @Sm1smom for your guidance throughout the whole AOS process.

The interview was very straight forward and simple. The officer just went through all the documents and asked basic questions from the form I-134 and I-485. The officer told me that it was a very straightforward case and nothing else needs to be done. He was very well informed, and when I asked about KCC file and Background check, he gave me a straight "We have your file and your background check is clear" answer.

I took all the possible documents that I could possibly think of, but he only asked to see my original birth certificate, passport, and EAD card. At the end of the interview he told me that I should receive my card within 2 weeks.

wow !!! congratulations ! What's your FO?

Hello Forum,

I'm happy for you. Congratulations

Do you have any idea how is supreme court decision going to affect a pending AOS applicant from banned countries? or how is the new low going to be implemented?