• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

I am shocked! Just called KCC and realized that my FO (Philadelphia) has not even requested for my case, my case number was current in October and I sent everything on October 20th!!!!
The lady in KCC told me to ask Philadelphia FO to request for my case because my case is ready!!! :mad::oops:o_O
Poor me was checking mail box 2 times a day!! feeling stupid!

@beau Thanks for letting me know of the phone number.
@Sm1smom Do you think there could be any specific reasons that they have not even requested for my case from KCC? something like Background check or whatever? I received my EAD and thought they have already checked my background.

Just out of interest (at this point), what did you ask them exactly?

You can either inquire about the status of your case or directly ask if USCIS requested your file. The last time I called, she told me that the file was requested without me asking.

I am shocked! Just called KCC and realized that my FO (Philadelphia) has not even requested for my case, my case number was current in October and I sent everything on October 20th!!!!
The lady in KCC told me to ask Philadelphia FO to request for my case because my case is ready!!! :mad::oops:o_O

@Sm1smom Do you think there could be any specific reasons that they have not even requested for my case from KCC? something like Background check or whatever? I received my EAD and thought they have already checked my background.

As far as I know, there have been cases where the applicant had the interview and their file was still not requested from KCC. So even though USCIS needs the file to approve your case, it isn't always parallel with the IL. It's easier said than done, but try not to get frustrated. I mean they requested my file a week ago and still no letter. Maybe you'll get your letter before me, who knows :)

Btw, receiving the EAD doesn't suggest your background checks were completed.

As far as I know, there have been cases where the applicant had the interview and their file was still not requested from KCC. So even though USCIS needs the file to approve your case, it isn't always parallel with the IL. It's easier said than done, but try not to get frustrated. I mean they requested my file a week ago and still no letter. Maybe you'll get your letter before me, who knows :)

Btw, receiving the EAD doesn't suggest your background checks were completed.
I have Infopass appointment tomorrow. I will ask them about my case. It is disappointing but we should not give up.
thanks.

Hi Amiru, I have the same situation. Which area are you from (Asia, Europe ...)? I am from Asia, middle east. I have an infopass appointment on March 3rd which is my first infopass appointment. Do you have any recommendation? What did you take with yourself for the infopass appointment?
Hi,
I'm from the same area. I just had my ID and Alien number. It wasn't useful for me, they just told me you should wait.

I.N.F.O.P.A.S.S!

Hi mom and everyone.
Do you think I should make a phone call to KCC before I go to INFOPASS to check whether FO requested my file? I read @NiwDV 's post and I thought my case might be same too. My FO is LA county but still waiting for IL. My number became current in October. I had first INFOPASS but it didn't help at all, they just told me to wait. I will have another INFOPASS appointment day after tomorrow.

Hi mom and everyone.
Do you think I should make a phone call to KCC before I go to INFOPASS to check whether FO requested my file? I read @NiwDV 's post and I thought my case might be same too. My FO is LA county but still waiting for IL. My number became current in October. I had first INFOPASS but it didn't help at all, they just told me to wait. I will have another INFOPASS appointment day after tomorrow.

Wouldn't hurt to give KCC a call.

Thank you! I will try tomorrow.

You need to prepare for the Infopass, because otherwise they fob you off and tell you to wait (because most people have to wait a lot longer than we do, so the IOs are very used to telling people to wait). Try and have a mental or written note of things to ask - I think of it like a checklist. These are the things that you need to have completed (Mom please add if there is anything missed).

1. I-485 submitted and sent to the FO (obviously done otherwise you wouldn't be there, but just so you have a list).
  2. Biometric completed?
  3. Background/Name check completed?
  4. Receipts for the DV fee and the AoS fee (you should have those - but point them out).
  5. Have the FO requested the file from KCC? Have they received it? (check whether KCC say it's been requested or sent).

So, when you are at the infopass, thinking calm thoughts, don't get rushed and explain to the IO on the desk that you would like to check to see if everything is ready for the interview. Get them to agree and get them on your side. Then go through the list and ask them to confirm things (2, 3, and 5 are what you are asking them about). Once you confirm that all those things are ready, you are ready for the interview. If all that is ready, then POLITELY ask "OK, so what are we waiting for to schedule the interview?".

If I were you I would also have the policy memo (link below) that counters the argument that DV cases are not subject to special processing. They are, and the memo (which is binding on the staff you will be talking to) confirms that. However, do not be aggressive or argumentative, instead talk about your fear that DV slots will run out as they did the last two years.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default...013/August/DV-Related I-485 Applications .pdf

You need to prepare for the Infopass, because otherwise they fob you off and tell you to wait (because most people have to wait a lot longer than we do, so the IOs are very used to telling people to wait). Try and have a mental or written note of things to ask - I think of it like a checklist. These are the things that you need to have completed (Mom please add if there is anything missed).

1. I-485 submitted and sent to the FO (obviously done otherwise you wouldn't be there, but just so you have a list).
  2. Biometric completed?
  4. Receipts for the DV fee and the AoS fee (you should have those - but point them out).
  5. Have the FO requested the file from KCC? Have they received it? (check whether KCC say it's been requested or sent).

So, when you are at the infopass, thinking calm thoughts, don't get rushed and explain to the IO on the desk that you would like to check to see if everything is ready for the interview. Get them to agree and get them on your side. Then go through the list and ask them to confirm things (2, 3, and 5 are what you are asking them about). Once you confirm that all those things are ready, you are ready for the interview. If all that is ready, then POLITELY ask "OK, so what are we waiting for to schedule the interview?".

If I were you I would also have the policy memo (link below) that counters the argument that DV cases are not subject to special processing. They are, and the memo (which is binding on the staff you will be talking to) confirms that. However, do not be aggressive or argumentative, instead talk about your fear that DV slots will run out as they did the last two years.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/2013/August/DV-Related I-485 Applications .pdf

You've covered it all.

The only thing I would add is that anyone going for an INFOPASS should show up with all their documents ready for the possibility of an on the spot interview. We've had reports of candidates who went for INFOPASS and were asked if they were ready for their interview on the day they showed up.

The only thing I would add is that anyone going for an INFOPASS should show up with all their documents ready for the possibility of an on the spot interview. We've had reports of candidates who went for INFOPASS and were asked if they were ready for their interview on the day they showed up.

That would be cool!

2. Biometric completed?

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/2013/August/DV-Related I-485 Applications .pdf

Thank you very very much @Britsimon and mom! Your response is so helpful, I have to read your post again and prepare well.

Soft update: KCC confirmed NYFO requested my file on Feb18 and it was sent the same day.
Does this suggest the IL is around the corner?

Thank you for posting the number. It seems this is a dedicated number for only DV lottery cases. I wish USCIS had something like that. I just called and was told that my file was requested by USCIS in November and sent to them in December.

Btw, I've been trying to schedule an additional infopass for the past few weeks but keep getting a message that says that there are no appointments available. A few days ago I opened a case inquiry and they said I'll get a response within the next 30 days or so. Yesterday, when I tried to schedule infopass again, I got a different message saying that I can't make any more appointments at this time. Not sure if it's because of the case inquiry or something else.

I've submitted the case inquiry here:
https://egov.uscis.gov/e-request/displayONPTForm.do?entryPoint=init&sroPageType=onpt

Dear Bristsimon and Mom,
Have you ever seen a DV case reopened after approval? What is its process and timeline? Should I pay the fee again?
I haven't received the reopen notice mail as yet and I have no idea what is going on there. I have an infopass for next Tuesday to get more information about my case.

Hello everyone, just an update on our case. We went to the infopass for the 2nd time. Before that I called KCC to ask about our file, and was told that our file was sent on Feb 23 to our FO.
On infopass they told us that our case is pending for interview, and right now they scheduling cases in order that they received them. I pointed that our case is DV and I am afraid that they will ran out of visa slots, they responded that they know that DV visa has timeframes(I assume they meant that we have time by the end of the fiscal year), but nothing about slots. They were not sure about background checks, but said that probably we already passed them since KCC sent them our file (not sure if it works that way). Well, anyway, now we need to wait for our IL probably end of march/april, hoping for the best.
P.S. I received my EAD card on Feb 22, but my wife did not, online inquire says her case is under review. Could it be because of the background checks? Or it could be just anything? (it s been already way more than 90 days since they received her EAD application)

I had an interview on Monday 2/22/2016. They asked me questions from I-485 form.Besides, they also asked me about the financial conditions. I submitted them my affidavit of support form which I had not submitted on my application package before. The interviewer took my I-94 card from my passport and told me that she will call me.
They did not say if my case was approved or disapproved.

So, do I just wait for the call? Is that what happens after interview?

Thank you for posting the number. It seems this is a dedicated number for only DV lottery cases. I wish USCIS had something like that. I just called and was told that my file was requested by USCIS in November and sent to them in December.

Btw, I've been trying to schedule an additional infopass for the past few weeks but keep getting a message that says that there are no appointments available. A few days ago I opened a case inquiry and they said I'll get a response within the next 30 days or so. Yesterday, when I tried to schedule infopass again, I got a different message saying that I can't make any more appointments at this time. Not sure if it's because of the case inquiry or something else.

I've submitted the case inquiry here:
https://egov.uscis.gov/e-request/displayONPTForm.do?entryPoint=init&sroPageType=onpt

Glad the phone number was useful for you :)
Well, if they requested your file in November and you still haven't received the IL...chances are, this request is no indicator for an IL for NYFO applicants.

At this point, all we can do is hoping that we'll get it over with this as soon as possible. I'm a little over this to be honest. I'll get it when I get it.