• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

As I mentioned, AOS through DV lottery is generally faster than NIW which was at least 5 months while I was submitting my case. Thanks...
Presumably meaning that USCIS had not approved NIW in October... Anyway, good luck for your DV process.

Presumably meaning that USCIS had not approved NIW in October... Anyway, good luck for your DV process.
EURO, believe it or not, I had my NIW approval before October 2015, which is not of any importance for me at this time because I have already gone with DV. You may be interested in reading my previous posts to make sure before trying to guess or whatever. http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2016-aos-only.326148/page-35#post-2415205
I am assuming that you are not familiar with the whole process of NIW application (form I-140) and then GC application (I-485). This is the process: Applicant applies for NIW (mine was EB2) by submitting form I-140, and if he/she gets approval it means that applicant is eligible to apply for GC AOS by submitting I-485.
BTW, Thanks.

Sure, I do understand that it does happen - thank you for pointing this out, Sm1smom. From this OP's perspective there presumably should not be a general expectation that this will necessarily happen in his specific case, though, NIW and all... ;)

Well, your initial response to the OP about an interview being "an integral part of the of the DV AOS process" came across to me like you previously had no idea the interview part sometimes gets waived. And frankly speaking, I see no reason for the OP to not expect a waiver to happen in his case, NIW and all, IF his applicable FO approves DV based AOS petitions without interviewing the petitioners.

Update: Today I got the Welcome Letter in my mail box, unfortunately it was dated Feb 18 (1 day before case update date). I guess it means my case was approved after interview. But when I submitted the letter from ISSS to them on Feb 19, it made the officer concerned and she reopened my case. I'm way regretful since I think I made the situation more complicated by sending the "wrong SEVIS status report". I'm still waiting for the reopen mail to see what is the instruction.

Oh! Sucks!! Well, maybe it's better in the long run - getting issues that could become a potential problem years down the road clarified now. You don't want to run into issues of status clarifications at the time of your interview when you apply for citizenship, the scrutiny at that stage is usually much more stressful than when one applies for the GC itself.

Mom, thank you. My field office is Philadelphia and I am gonna schedule an infopass appointment on the earliest available date.
One more question, I called USCUS and they told me you should wait. How long should I wait to be able to submit an inquiry?

Forget about what USCIS says on the phone, forget about submitting an online inquiry, make an INFOPASS appointment. Visit your FO in person.

Forget about what USCIS says on the phone, forget about submitting an online inquiry, make an INFOPASS appointment. Visit your FO in person.
Thank you Mom, I needed someone to tell me this, and you are the someone. I will meet with them next week.

As an aside, I'm not sure it's helpful to keep going on about mistakes (whether actual or perceived) that someone made in the past, especially if they cannot be changed now and without offering any helpful alternatives for the current situation an applicant may find him- or herself in. Sure, mention it once because it may be useful to someone else reading the forum, then if you can't be of any further use just let the subject go...

1864-2-cent-coin-reverse.jpg

I know that there are limited number of green cards for each year. I have done my biometric and just waiting for IL (more than 4 months). Should I be worried about the number of GCs or I have passed that level? I mean if my status shows "pending interview" (that's what they told me in INFOPASS), Does it mean that I will get the interview anyway? Thanks.

I know that there are limited number of green cards for each year. I have done my biometric and just waiting for IL (more than 4 months). Should I be worried about the number of GCs or I have passed that level? I mean if my status shows "pending interview" (that's what they told me in INFOPASS), Does it mean that I will get the interview anyway? Thanks.

Until the petition is finally approved, and the GC is received, yes there's always cause to worry. And yes, you will get an interview, but getting the interview doesn't automatically mean an approval.

I was reading all pages and it took so long, unfortunately I didn't read it before. I have done everything and my paper work is ready to be filed. My case number is 2016AS000047XX according to to bulliten number I should file it on march. I called USCIS a month ago and asked them if I can send the papers on February but she mad at me and answer in an angry voice " Sir send it on march"
I afraid I will not get my green card because it looks like I take a very long tiime. I really need your advice what should I do to earn some time.

I was reading all pages and it took so long, unfortunately I didn't read it before. I have done everything and my paper work is ready to be filed. My case number is 2016AS000047XX according to to bulliten number I should file it on march. I called USCIS a month ago and asked them if I can send the papers on February but she mad at me and answer in an angry voice " Sir send it on march"
I afraid I will not get my green card because it looks like I take a very long tiime. I really need your advice what should I do to earn some time.

If your CN is current for Mar, you can send in your AOS package now. Follow the instructions on the AOS process spreadsheet.

I'm the E3 holder who got married back home in Jan. My CN was current in Jan. We're back now so am about to submit the DS260 and send off the DV admin fee checks. I have 2 questions:
1. My husband is on F1 and needs to submit OPT now. Is there any order in which we should submit his OPT in relation to this GC application? Eg. Should we wait to submit DS260 and/or send the AOS packet until after he's submitted opt? His F1 ends in May so he needs to do OPT so he doesn't fall out of status. My understanding is that's it's fine to have both of these processes happening at once, but i just wanted to check that I haven't missed anything!
2. Would the timing of the 2NL be something we need to consider for sending AOS packet? I'm comfortable sending AOS packet without a copy of the 2NL (as per previous discussions on this forum) but is there a chance that given I'm already current, my interview could be scheduled before receiving the 2NL (as some people waited 4 months for this). Is there any update for those who submitted their DS260 recently and how long the 2NL took? Would it be unwise to show up to the interview without the 2NL? From the timeline, a 2016 selectee from my FO had an interview scheduled 2 months after sending the AOS packet.
Thanks!!

I'm the E3 holder who got married back home in Jan. My CN was current in Jan. We're back now so am about to submit the DS260 and send off the DV admin fee checks. I have 2 questions:

....Is there any update for those who submitted their DS260 recently and how long the 2NL took?....
Thanks!!

I submitted my DS260 on 12 December and got the 2NL on the 23rd December. So it is possible to get it within 2 weeks. Who knows if that will be true in your case?

1. My husband is on F1 and needs to submit OPT now. Is there any order in which we should submit his OPT in relation to this GC application? Eg. Should we wait to submit DS260 and/or send the AOS packet until after he's submitted opt? His F1 ends in May so he needs to do OPT so he doesn't fall out of status. My understanding is that's it's fine to have both of these processes happening at once, but i just wanted to check that I haven't missed anything!
2. Would the timing of the 2NL be something we need to consider for sending AOS packet? I'm comfortable sending AOS packet without a copy of the 2NL (as per previous discussions on this forum) but is there a chance that given I'm already current, my interview could be scheduled before receiving the 2NL (as some people waited 4 months for this). Is there any update for those who submitted their DS260 recently and how long the 2NL took? Would it be unwise to show up to the interview without the 2NL? From the timeline, a 2016 selectee from my FO had an interview scheduled 2 months after sending the AOS packet.
Thanks!!

1. Your husband should begin his OPT application you guys demonstrate any form of immigrant intent (as in DS-260/AOS package submission).
2. Stop stressing about the 2NL - it's good to have it, not having it wouldn't be a show spoiler. The DV payment receipt is the one you want to ensure you either have before sending in your AOS package (to enable you include with the package), or to have on hand by the time of your interview and present it.

Caution: don't rushing into sending in the DV administrative fee without your husband taking care of his OPT application. Making the DV payment is another form of demonstrating an immigrant intent.

1. Your husband should begin his OPT application you guys demonstrate any form of immigrant intent (as in DS-260/AOS package submission).
2. Stop stressing about the 2NL - it's good to have it, not having it wouldn't be a show spoiler. The DV payment receipt is the one you want to ensure you either have before sending in your AOS package (to enable you include with the package), or to have on hand by the time of your interview and present it.

Caution: don't rushing into sending in the DV administrative fee without your husband taking care of his OPT application. Making the DV payment is another form of demonstrating an immigrant intent.
Thanks so much, mom! We will hold off on the DS-260, DV admin fee and AOS package. Just so that I'm clear at what point in the OPT process would it be safe to start this process (DS-260, etc)? Is it ok to start once we receive the NOA regarding OPT or should we wait until he gets his EAD?

Sorry to bother again, but I have a follow up question. Does 'in status' refer to the date on the visa, or is it interpreted to include the 60 day grace period for F1 holders to leave the US? I'm thinking if we get our stuff together quick smart, we may beat the need for OPT... The 2016 timeline for my FO looks promising in terms of time between NOA and interview...

Last edited:
Thanks so much, mom! We will hold off on the DS-260, DV admin fee and AOS package. Just so that I'm clear at what point in the OPT process would it be safe to start this process (DS-260, etc)? Is it ok to start once we receive the NOA regarding OPT or should we wait until he gets his EAD?

You can starts following the OPT NOA, although it would be better to actually have an approved OPT before demonstrating your immigrant intent, but time may not be on your side. So you'll have to make the call on that.

Sorry to bother again, but I have a follow up question. Does 'in status' refer to the date on the visa, or is it interpreted to include the 60 day grace period for J1 holders to leave the US? I'm thinking if we get our stuff together quick smart, we may beat the need for OPT... The 2016 timeline for my FO looks promising in terms of time between NOA and interview...

I don't know the answer but even if it does, do you really want your green card to be subject to "ifs" and "mays" and things that "look promising"????

Sorry to bother again, but I have a follow up question. Does 'in status' refer to the date on the visa, or is it interpreted to include the 60 day grace period for J1 holders to leave the US? I'm thinking if we get our stuff together quick smart, we may beat the need for OPT... The 2016 timeline for my FO looks promising in terms of time between NOA and interview...

I suggest you don't try and get too technical or smart on this, you might inadvertently end up hurting your case.

Bottom line is: it's always better to have a valid status on hand before declaring an immigrant intent - it enables you to have a fall back status should the AOS petition get denied or delayed beyond the applicable FY.