• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hi,
May I ask regarding to the Biometrics Letter, do we need to do anything to get it or we just need to wait? (Didn't see that it is mentioned in the spreadsheet.) I filed my application, and got the Receipt Number on the NOA. But the Status Updates mentioned nothing aboout Biometrics Letter.
Thanks.

You WAIT to receive the bio letter!

Hi, thanks for sharing, your case seems to make me feel that if we file in February, things are gonna be risky becuz of the deadline is September. Do anyone suggest to have an INFOPASS as soon as possible?

For sheez! You only filed in February and you're already talking about an INFOPASS? Yes, the deadline is Sept., regardless there's still plenty of time left.

You should have asked at the INFOPASS about the status of your wife's EAD card. It's not tied to the background check, not sure why it didn't show up same day as yours, but wouldn't be surprised though if it shows up in the next couple of days.
Thank you Mom for your reply, we did asked about her card, they told us something like "it's not ready yet , may be they are doing some checks" but she did not sound very confident so I assume they are not aware why too. Yeah that's my hope, that we will get her EAD card in a next week or so.

Thank you Mom for your reply, we did asked about her card, they told us something like "it's not ready yet , may be they are doing some checks" but she did not sound very confident so I assume they are not aware why too. Yeah that's my hope, that we will get her EAD card in a next week or so.

They're probably aware it should have been sent together with yours, but probably didn't want to start explaining the error to you. Anyway, keep your fingers crossed.

Just had second INFOPASS in LA county office. I basically asked what @Britsimon listed earlier (If someone go to INFOPASS you should check his post, it's so helpful), then officer told us everything is done. File is here (which I called KCC yesterday and confirmed they said LA county office requested in November however officer said JUST got it), Back ground check is also done. So we just have to WAIT for the interview. He said there's no available date for interview right now, so just wait. Then I asked "How long do you think it will take?" He answered it should be less than two months. Hopefully...
By the way when I showed policy memo which Britsimon put the link on earlier post, he went somewhere to ask some questions. But after that he came back and said "This memo is about when you can submit your document, you still have to wait like other people do." Looks like LA county office doesn't have that much experience with GC based on DV.
When we went to first INFOPASS, another officer showed me USCIS processing time information which you can check in this link. https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do
Today when I asked him whether our DV case is also categorized this, he answered YES. So according to that page we have to wait another a couple of months or so.
So... Only thing I can do is just WAIT... Sigh...

Just had second INFOPASS in LA county office. I basically asked what @Britsimon listed earlier (If someone go to INFOPASS you should check his post, it's so helpful), then officer told us everything is done. File is here (which I called KCC yesterday and confirmed they said LA county office requested in November however officer said JUST got it), Back ground check is also done. So we just have to WAIT for the interview. He said there's no available date for interview right now, so just wait. Then I asked "How long do you think it will take?" He answered it should be less than two months. Hopefully...
By the way when I showed policy memo which Britsimon put the link on earlier post, he went somewhere to ask some questions. But after that he came back and said "This memo is about when you can submit your document, you still have to wait like other people do." Looks like LA county office doesn't have that much experience with GC based on DV.
When we went to first INFOPASS, another officer showed me USCIS processing time information which you can check in this link. https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do
Today when I asked him whether our DV case is also categorized this, he answered YES. So according to that page we have to wait another a couple of months or so.
So... Only thing I can do is just WAIT... Sigh...

I'm glad that went well. The list hopefully worked to not let them dismiss you without answers. Sometimes a well handled infopass gets the comments you got, but then the interview magically gets scheduled (by complete coincidence, of course!).

To an extent, the comment about the policy memo is partially correct - although there is instruction to the FOs to monitor workload to make sure the DV cases are processed in time. However, DV cases typically get faster treatment, particularly toward the end of the year. We have cases that get current in September and are approved in time. That can only happen through the FOs applying a different timeline - but of course, they will wait for the deadline to be looming to get into rush mode.

I'm glad that went well. The list hopefully worked to not let them dismiss you without answers. Sometimes a well handled infopass gets the comments you got, but then the interview magically gets scheduled (by complete coincidence, of course!).

To an extent, the comment about the policy memo is partially correct - although there is instruction to the FOs to monitor workload to make sure the DV cases are processed in time. However, DV cases typically get faster treatment, particularly toward the end of the year. We have cases that get current in September and are approved in time. That can only happen through the FOs applying a different timeline - but of course, they will wait for the deadline to be looming to get into rush mode.
I really appreciate your post! And also it will help other people who are similar situation. I hope our interview will get scheduled soon. I will just be relax and wait. Thank you so much.

No, don't expect a call. They do not call to inform of the outcome/result. Maybe the IO said something like, they will 'contact' you, and not 'call' you? Anyway, it doesn't matter, what the exact word is. If you signed up for case status updates, you'll receive a text/email letting you know when a decision is made. Also, if you login and check your case status, you'll be able to see when a decision is made.[/QUOTE
Thank you for your advice.

Hi guys. Has anyone received his/her EAD? I have a quick question, in my approval notice, second page>>> second paragraph, it is written that "As a reminder you may request to change employers under INA 204 (J) if ...".
I am wondering if this is written all EAD approval notices. Ans, how long should the DV lottery based EAD card be typically valid? One year or until the end of September of the Fiscal year?

Last edited:
Hi guys. Has anyone received his/her EAD? I have a quick question, in my approval notice, second page>>> second paragraph, it is written that "As a reminder you may request to change employers under INA 204 (J) if ...".
I am wondering if this is written all EAD approval notices. Ans, how long should the DV lottery based EAD card be typically valid? One year or until the end of September of the Fiscal year?

Your EAD is valid until the expiration date printed on the document (typically 1 year after the issue date). However the EAD is ONLY valid, as long as your I-485 application is pending. If your I-485 gets denied, for some reason, your EAD automatically becomes invalid.

Last edited:
@beau Thank you. Do you have any idea about the expiration date? Is it gonna be one year after issuance or till the end of September 2016? Can we apply for EAD extension if we pass September 30th?

@beau Thank you. Do you have any idea about the expiration date? Is it gonna be one year after issuance or till the end of September 2016? Can we apply for EAD extension if we pass September 30th?

For us, DV-based cases, since we would be losing our chance at the end of this fiscal year, you technically can't extend your EAD beyond that as your I-485 won't be pending anymore.

So you are actually right, regardless of the expiration date on that card, September 30 is the expiration date for everything that is DV related.

Your EAD is valid until the expiration date printed on the document (typically 1 year after the issue date). However the EAD is ONLY valid, as long as your I-485 application is pending. If your I-485 gets denied, for some reason, your EAD automatically becomes invalid.

Not quite, a DV AOS based EAD card isn't necessarily valid for one year. Technically speaking, it's valid till the end of the applicable FY or when the AOS petition gets adjudicated - whichever comes first.

Not quite, a DV AOS based EAD card isn't necessarily valid for one year. Technically speaking, it's valid till the end of the applicable FY or when the AOS petition gets adjudicated - whichever comes first.

Yep, I made that clarification in my next post :)

Hi,
I have the following two questions:
1) As I understand, the high school diploma is necessary minimum condition to be eligible for the DV greencard. I can't find my high school diploma, however, I have my Bachelor and Master degrees diplomas. Can I just send them or it is important to provide specifically the high school diploma?
2) Do we need to notarize the copies of all the documents (or some of them) when sending them in the AOS package? Or just photocopying them is enough?
Thanks!