• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Hi, I just got a call from my IO saying my GC was approved! I was supposed to go to Canada for a couple of days this weekend. Does my approval mean I can't leave the US until I get the card? Thanks!

My suggestion would be to not travel out until you get the GC. Alternatively, you can visit your FO before your trip and request to stamp your passport with a temporary I-551. You don't want to run into issues trying to enter the US with your NIV on your return because you're unable to present any evidence of your new LPR status while the system is showing the IO at the POE you are a LPR.

Hi Forum,

Can any F-1 students please share their interview experience ? What are some questions that we must prepare as an F-1 student ? Any ideas would help.
Thank you

F1 student here, interviewed on June 13th.
After being called and following the officer to his office, He took my fingerprints and photo to verify my identity. Then, he asked to stand up and take the oath to tell the truth.

He asked for my passport and visa.
He went over form I-485 to check the information (name, address and all yes/no questions). He asked to see the originals of birth certificate, hs diploma and I-20.
After that, He said that everything looked good and approved me on the spot.

Just relax and everything will be alright.

F1 student here, interviewed on June 13th.
After being called and following the officer to his office, He took my fingerprints and photo to verify my identity. Then, he asked to stand up and take the oath to tell the truth.

He asked for my passport and visa.
He went over form I-485 to check the information (name, address and all yes/no questions). He asked to see the originals of birth certificate, hs diploma and I-20.
After that, He said that everything looked good and approved me on the spot.

Just relax and everything will be alright.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Hope you get your green card soon.

1- They asked me all teh YES/NO questions in I-485 again. Actually, the officer reviewed I-485 again with me.
2- Asked about my research field and the projects I am working on.
3- The relationship with my sponser
4- work experience back in my country (it's part of g-325a form)

Generally, it was very easy and officer was kind. He told me "your background check is not completed. But I will follow up and also request your file from KCC". I was told it takes usually about 4 weeks (My interview was on June 5th).

Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope you get your green card soon.

Hi guys,
Do you think it's OK to go and try a walk-in for an interview after receiving the interview letter?
I received an interview date scheduled for mid July and I'm just wondering if I can go earlier. Anybody tried that before? Thanks,

Hi guys,
Do you think it's OK to go and try a walk-in for an interview after receiving the interview letter?
I received an interview date scheduled for mid July and I'm just wondering if I can go earlier. Anybody tried that before? Thanks,

You cannot do a walk in for the interview for a number of reasons:

1. Only those with appointments are allowed in at the FO - a few exception is sometimes made for case follow up.

2. Cases are assigned to IOs, you can't be interviewed by the IOs attending to general inquiries.

3. Your assigned IO will need to review your file before and after the interview - a walk in attempt means they'll need to go hunt down your file.

My suggestion would be to not travel out until you get the GC. Alternatively, you can visit your FO before your trip and request to stamp your passport with a temporary I-551. You don't want to run into issues trying to enter the US with your NIV on your return because you're unable to present any evidence of your new LPR status while the system is showing the IO at the POE you are a LPR.
Thanks, sm1smom! I am visiting Seattle this weekend and tried a walk-in to get the stamp. They were lovely but since my card had already been ordered they couldn't help. Regardless, I'm excited the process is almost over and that my petition was approved!

Thanks to everyone who posts and shares their experiences and thanks to Sm1smom especially for all your patience and wise advice!

Hi Forum,

Can any F-1 students please share their interview experience ? What are some questions that we must prepare as an F-1 student ? Any ideas would help.
Thank you
Hi,
My interview was very short, it lasted for maybe 10 minutes. He started with the oath and then asked to see my passport, I-20 and the DV letter. I offered to give him the originals of my birth certificate, diploma and other stuff but he said If there is a copy of them in the folder then he won't need them. He went through the yes and no questions. He was very nice and even had some jokes. He asked me about my work and I said that I am a research assistant and currently in grad school. By the end he gave me a paper that said that my case will be under review and that he can't make a decision right now. He went on to explain that he is not familiar with DV cases and needs time to review my case. I asked him if my background check was completed and he said yes. I called KCC after the interview to check if the FO requested my file and they said no. Fortunately, a week or 10 days after the interview my case was approved :).

Hi,
My interview was very short, it lasted for maybe 10 minutes. He started with the oath and then asked to see my passport, I-20 and the DV letter. I offered to give him the originals of my birth certificate, diploma and other stuff but he said If there is a copy of them in the folder then he won't need them. He went through the yes and no questions. He was very nice and even had some jokes. He asked me about my work and I said that I am a research assistant and currently in grad school. By the end he gave me a paper that said that my case will be under review and that he can't make a decision right now. He went on to explain that he is not familiar with DV cases and needs time to review my case. I asked him if my background check was completed and he said yes. I called KCC after the interview to check if the FO requested my file and they said no. Fortunately, a week or 10 days after the interview my case was approved :).
Thank you for your reply @mira88.

Hi Forum,

Thank you

I received my interview letter today. I had an Infopass 2 weeks ago and i was told my file is on the supervisor desk. So for those who got the same response as me you should hopefully be getting the interview letter soon.

Can any H1-B visa holder share their interview experience please?

Have you guys taken a look at the "Interview Tips" tab of the AOS process spreadsheet?

Reactions: atx
I applied AOS with my wife. Two weeks ago I got a letter for biometric but my wife didn't receive any letter for biometric till date. I went for biometric and asked in USCIS if they know about her biometric process. Unfortunately, nobody knows about that and they just told me to wait and watch. She has temporary protected status (TPS) granted last year and her Biometric is already in the system. Does anybody know if that previous biometric in the system still valid for her?

I also got another letter for verification of birth certificate? Did anybody get similar request letter for the Birth certificate?

Hey there,

Does anyone know if you can change jobs immediately after receiving your GC from DV AOS? I saw this (http://www.immi-usa.com/job-change-after-green-card-approval/) which says you have to wait 180 days after getting your I-485 but I thought this might be only for employment based GCs?

That's only applicable to employment based GC. For DV based GC, you can change jobs same day you receive your GC or whenever you feel like.

Reactions: atx
I applied AOS with my wife. Two weeks ago I got a letter for biometric but my wife didn't receive any letter for biometric till date. I went for biometric and asked in USCIS if they know about her biometric process. Unfortunately, nobody knows about that and they just told me to wait and watch. She has temporary protected status (TPS) granted last year and her Biometric is already in the system. Does anybody know if that previous biometric in the system still valid for her?

I also got another letter for verification of birth certificate? Did anybody get similar request letter for the Birth certificate?

It's possible they consider your wife's TPS based bio still valid, hence no need for a new bio appointment - I believe one or two forum members were in a similar situation a couple of years ago.

It's quite unusual for a RFE/RFI to be issued for a DV based AOS petition. What is the situation with your B/C? Did you not include the long form B/C with your AOS package?

I submitted original B/C and also translated into English. I am not sure what is the long form B/C. I lost my first B/C so I had to make new B/C in the year 2012 before I came to the US, which has the latest date of issuance in B/C. Maybe that's the reason they were asking for the RFE.

Now, I am trying to get 2 Affidavit of supports from family members and a letter from the municipality to support the B/C that I submitted. Also submitting my early school records showing my DOB is correct. Is there anything else anyone can suggest to make it better?

I submitted original B/C and also translated into English. I am not sure what is the long form B/C. I lost my first B/C so I had to make new B/C in the year 2012 before I came to the US, which has the latest date of issuance in B/C. Maybe that's the reason they were asking for the RFE.

Many people have to get new certificates for DV so the problem won't be the year of issuance.

In response to your "not sure what long form is"...Did you read the requirements for the DV documents? ... it's detailed in there:

https://travel.state.gov/content/vi...re-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html

Each applicant will need to obtain an original birth certificate issued by the official custodian of birth records in the country of birth, showing the date and place of birth and the parentage of the applicant, based upon the original registration of birth. Important Notice: You must submit a long form original birth certificate. Short form birth certificates will not be accepted.

The certificate must contain the:

• Person's date of birth;
  • Person's place of birth;
  • Names of both parents; and,
  • Annotation by the appropriate authority indicating that it is an extract from the official records.
--
So - does your submitted BC have all the required information?

Last edited:

Now, I am trying to get 2 Affidavit of supports from family members and a letter from the municipality to support the B/C that I submitted. Also submitting my early school records showing my DOB is correct. Is there anything else anyone can suggest to make it better?

Also, when I submit Affidavit of supports do I need to submit the original copy or notarized photocopy should work?

Many people have to get new certificates for DV so the problem won't be the year of issuance.

In response to your "not sure what long form is"...Did you read the requirements for the DV documents? ... it's detailed in there:

https://travel.state.gov/content/vi...re-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html

Each applicant will need to obtain an original birth certificate issued by the official custodian of birth records in the country of birth, showing the date and place of birth and the parentage of the applicant, based upon the original registration of birth. Important Notice: You must submit a long form original birth certificate. Short form birth certificates will not be accepted.

The certificate must contain the:

• Person's date of birth;
  • Person's place of birth;
  • Names of both parents; and,
  • Annotation by the appropriate authority indicating that it is an extract from the official records.
--
So - does your submitted BC have all the required information?

The B/C that I submitted has all the mentioned information. The only problem is timely registration, since new B/C issued in 2012 so it way passed the registration time. Again, registrar didn't mention anything about my lost B/C. He just issued new B/C as a new registration.