• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

Random thought 35,456,801

Strange how a place you've never been can seem scarier than it actually is. Oakland has a pretty bad reputation, but so does my current neighborhood. An 'underworld' figure was murdered 20 metres from my front door a couple of weeks ago; the Bandidos bikie club is one block from my apartment and is regularly raided by the police; Melbourne is awash with carjackings - and yet, I rarely feel unsafe. Maybe it's all those guns that make me a little nervous :eek:

The fear dissipates over time IMO. You're always vigilant but then, you should be wherever you are.

I'm far more confident being here now than I was when I first arrived and didn't even want to order at restaurants because they don't understand when I say 'Coke', and I wouldn't drive anywhere after dark. I'm aware of my surroundings, knowing that guns are plentiful and people can be crazy.

Random thought 35,456,801

Strange how a place you've never been can seem scarier than it actually is. Oakland has a pretty bad reputation, but so does my current neighborhood. An 'underworld' figure was murdered 20 metres from my front door a couple of weeks ago; the Bandidos bikie club is one block from my apartment and is regularly raided by the police; Melbourne is awash with carjackings - and yet, I rarely feel unsafe. Maybe it's all those guns that make me a little nervous :eek:

Don't move to Oakland, just don't. There is no need.

Don't move to Oakland, just don't. There is no need.
c3117161423f47fc7c7b2daae44a7aacbc8b131532614d1f0a3c8011b9fda017.jpg

Got it ;-)

c3117161423f47fc7c7b2daae44a7aacbc8b131532614d1f0a3c8011b9fda017.jpg

Got it ;-)

:D:D:D:D

Actually, there are some really nice spots in Oakland, like the hills, Rockridge, Piedmont (which is technically not Oakland but surrounded by it), etc, but if you don't know the area I certainly wouldn't suggest renting there till you have a better idea of what's where. Unlike Simon ;) , we do actually go into Oakland fairly regularly - the Fox theater has some awesome rock concerts, rockridge has some great restaurants and is very trendy/buzzy, there are some nice places to eat elsewhere (we like Rudys Can't Fail, incidentally owned by one of the guys in Green Day, who are local), just driving around is interesting too - but there are also areas I'd definitely not be keen to be in after dark.

:D:D:D:D

Actually, there are some really nice spots in Oakland, like the hills, Rockridge, Piedmont (which is technically not Oakland but surrounded by it), etc, but if you don't know the area I certainly wouldn't suggest renting there till you have a better idea of what's where. Unlike Simon ;) , we do actually go into Oakland fairly regularly - the Fox theater has some awesome rock concerts, rockridge has some great restaurants and is very trendy/buzzy, there are some nice places to eat elsewhere (we like Rudys Can't Fail, incidentally owned by one of the guys in Green Day, who are local), just driving around is interesting too - but there are also areas I'd definitely not be keen to be in after dark.

LOL - I worked in there for years. Unless you have an exceptionally high budget, it really doesn't make sense buying there, and there are much better areas.

Hi amazing DV Lottery people!!!
Long time, no forum, i've been busy settling into LA-living.

I've had a few friends win the DV Lottery recently, for 2016 and 2017! So i'm jumping in to ask some questions from the experts for them (BritSimon and SusieQQQ i'm looking at you!)

So the most pressing issue at the moment are some friends who won the 2016 draw last year, with a low CN (200ish) but have only just decided to pursue it due to some life changes. Which means they will be getting married (in approx 1 month as thats minimum notice in Australia) . I realise this is going to cut it very fine for them with submitting the DS260 and getting it processed in time for an interview.
Do you think they have a chance?

I've had a few friends win the DV Lottery recently, for 2016 and 2017! So i'm jumping in to ask some questions from the experts for them (BritSimon and SusieQQQ i'm looking at you!)

So the most pressing issue at the moment are some friends who won the 2016 draw last year, with a low CN (200ish) but have only just decided to pursue it due to some life changes. Which means they will be getting married (in approx 1 month as thats minimum notice in Australia) . I realise this is going to cut it very fine for them with submitting the DS260 and getting it processed in time for an interview.

THe interviews for September will be scheduled in about 3 to 4 weeks time. So - if your friends submitted today they might just get it processed in time - but they most certainly cannot wait 4 weeks before submitting. In the past people have contacted KCC to ask them whether KCC would be able to process their forms in time. It might be worth making that call tomorrow.

Eek. I'd suggest they call KCC and see if there's a way they'd be able to ensure the DS is processed and an interview scheduled before submitting - as once they've expressed immigrant intent by doing so it makes future visa free travel difficult if they don't get through. The other option is to submit currently as single and then reopen after marriage ... I'm not sure how well that would work. Bear in mind either case is dodgy - September interviews will be scheduled in a few weeks' time so in either instance they would presumably have to rely on KCC scheduling them after they have normally finalized the year's schedules. I know they have done this in the past, when they were under quota, so they may do it again but it's hard to say, I really think they should call KCC and talk to them about the timing first.

Thank you both!

Any prior knowledge from other applicants on how adding in the spouse once DS260 is already submitted affects the scheduling?

Thank you both!

Any prior knowledge from other applicants on how adding in the spouse once DS260 is already submitted affects the scheduling?

Mixed reports. In cases like this you often find the interview is scheduled but the spouse hasn't made it onto the interview list. Then you need to call the embassy..

Hey Everyone!

I'm a winner of the 2016 DV lottery. I have received my GC and SSN but have yet to move.
There are a few places I've been looking at moving to and would love to know if anywhere here lives in these areas or could give me feedback on how they are.
I've very much into the arts and gay community so was looking at NYC, Seattle, Los Angeles or San Fran.
NYC and San Fran are top of the list.

Thanks. And it's nice to officially meet you all!

Hey Everyone!

I'm a winner of the 2016 DV lottery. I have received my GC and SSN but have yet to move.
There are a few places I've been looking at moving to and would love to know if anywhere here lives in these areas or could give me feedback on how they are.
I've very much into the arts and gay community so was looking at NYC, Seattle, Los Angeles or San Fran.

I won't be moving to the US for another month, but I've visited SF and NYC.

Both are world-class and exactly as I had imagined them. I don't think you could go too wrong with either as long as you can afford them - they're the two most expensive cities in the country and for good reason.

I'm sure others on this board will give you a better idea of what it's like to live there.

I won't be moving to the US for another month, but I've visited SF and NYC.

Both are world-class and exactly as I had imagined them. I don't think you could go too wrong with either as long as you can afford them - they're the two most expensive cities in the country and for good reason.

I'm sure others on this board will give you a better idea of what it's like to live there.

After living in Melbourne, the high cost of living shouldn't be too much of a shock to me, hence why I'm feeling more adventurous.
I can't imagine those poor people from countries in Africa making the move. That must be such a culture shock for them!

Hey Everyone!

LA can be surprisingly conservative in parts.
SF is everything you've heard re LGBT friendly...the starting assumption here in any conversation etc is that you're supportive, even in the more suburban and generally straight family-oriented areas. NY I think lags behind a little on that, but definitely has the edge on the arts (though that's true vs any city in the country and indeed probably the world, with the possible exception of London). The 2 cities have very different energies (..and weather) though, so it's hard to say if you haven't visited either which would be "better". (There were some funny cartoon comparisons recently from someone who'd moved from NY to SF, but I'm not sure they'd be amusing to those who don't know the cities.)
I can't comment on Seattle.

Those cartoons. By the way the garbage one in the first set is absolutely accurate.

Those are hilarious!
The weather and vibe in SF are a definite attraction. Especially because it's so laid back here in 'Straya, SF seems like a natural progression.

Though no matter where I end up, I cannot wait to go! And I am so thankful that fate has smiled upon me for this DV lottery.