• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

Sounds great, this is great driving country :)

Btw we had no problem getting car insurance at good rates from geico without a US license - so it may have been other factors playing against you rather than that.

Medical insurance companies differ somewhat by state so what you can get depends where you settle.
I'm sure it's a combination of us having no credit history, no jobs and no licences. Haha, what insurance company wouldn't want to work with that!

If the type of work you will do will come with health insurance, you are probably best off waiting for that to get a "proper" ACA policy. You could get it now, but they are relatively expensive and a bit of hassle. When you get a job. you will probably get good ACA coverage for you and spouse, typically at a subsidized rate. In the meantime you can extend the temporary insurance cover if you need to. It isn't perfect, but I am assuming you will have jobs within a few weeks.
Ok, great! I'll just look to extend our current cover until one of us is employed. We're hopeful of getting work quickly, but there's really no telling how long it will take. We've put in a bunch of applications and are cautiously optimistic. Regardless, we can get by living cheaply in the mean time.

Ok, great! I'll just look to extend our current cover until one of us is employed. We're hopeful of getting work quickly, but there's really no telling how long it will take. We've put in a bunch of applications and are cautiously optimistic. Regardless, we can get by living cheaply in the mean time.

Yep - that's the right plan. When you get a job, health cover will typically start in the first month.

I'm sure it's a combination of us having no credit history, no jobs and no licences. Haha, what insurance company wouldn't want to work with that!

That was us too ;) Geico came through for us, even taking us at our word on our past accident history .... I know for a fact I was getting a better rate than a local (albeit younger than me) driving the exact same car! They were way better than the other quotes we got. Of course we didn't get the fall in premiums many do once they have local licenses as we were already well priced - And we did check again on our renewal date and they still trumped the others. However - I know people in other states who haven't fared as well with geico.

You can check your DS260 - it's still there....

Oh sure, if you want to go the OBVIOUS route...

So! if the SSN is getting created semi-automatically once I get processed at Customs, how long before I can get the number? Do I call the local Social Security office to find out if it's ready? I'm just doing a couple of days in Hawaii, but figured if I can open a bank account while I'm there, it'll make some other stuff smoother when it comes to moving...

Oh yes, I know I won't be getting the card, but I wondered / hoped that I might be able to be told the number itself on attendance at an office.

Oh sure, if you want to go the OBVIOUS route...

So! if the SSN is getting created semi-automatically once I get processed at Customs, how long before I can get the number? Do I call the local Social Security office to find out if it's ready? I'm just doing a couple of days in Hawaii, but figured if I can open a bank account while I'm there, it'll make some other stuff smoother when it comes to moving...

You won't get the SSN that fast. But you might be able top open the accounts without the SSN - some banks do, some don't.

Just double checking. Once we'd done the "activation trip", we're not really allowed to go on vacation to the US are we? As they're expecting us to move on that trip? Just because I'm moving April next year but had been wanting to vacation there this October, but had a feeling I wasn't able.

Just double checking. Once we'd done the "activation trip", we're not really allowed to go on vacation to the US are we? As they're expecting us to move on that trip? Just because I'm moving April next year but had been wanting to vacation there this October, but had a feeling I wasn't able.

Of course you can vacation there.

The only difference is that the first absence after the activation trip is generally accepted to be up to 12 months, with few questions. Subsequenct abences are better kept below 6 months (although people have "got away with" longer absences up to 12 months)

Someone earlier in the thread, if I recall, said that the CD with their chest x-ray wasn't asked for at POE - is this a common experience? If, say, one's own isn't turning up in a search, would it be imperative to get a new copy burnt from the lab, rather than safely relying on the sealed document packet?

Someone earlier in the thread, if I recall, said that the CD with their chest x-ray wasn't asked for at POE - is this a common experience? If, say, one's own isn't turning up in a search, would it be imperative to get a new copy burnt from the lab, rather than safely relying on the sealed document packet?

I have never heard of anyone being specifically asked for it, although that could be that the POE officer just took it with the sealed packet.

When we offered ours the CBP officer said 'keep it for your new doctor'...

Hi guys - just a dew questions as activation trip is coming up next month:

1) My wife was told we need to remain in the US till we get our green cards, I don't think this is accurate...... can you share your experiences
2) How long does it take to get the physical green card?
3) If I go back to the US before the 12-month cut off and leave again for 6 months, am I jeopardizing my green card? or I would just get questions at immigration..... however I'm planning on file my US taxes moving forward to demonstrate my interest in living in the US.

I appreciate your thoughts.....

Thanks,
Carlos M.

THe interviews for September will be scheduled in about 3 to 4 weeks time. So - if your friends submitted today they might just get it processed in time - but they most certainly cannot wait 4 weeks before submitting. In the past people have contacted KCC to ask them whether KCC would be able to process their forms in time. It might be worth making that call tomorrow.

Mixed reports. In cases like this you often find the interview is scheduled but the spouse hasn't made it onto the interview list. Then you need to call the embassy..

Hi guys! just thought i'd do a follow up on this just for any one elses future research.

My friend did end up filing her DS260, getting married asap, then emailing to add her husband onto her application - she was told her case was already scheduled with an interview and was with embassy, so she would need to contact them to add him in. She did and they both interviewed last week and were approved!!! Another successful story :) I'm happy it worked out for them, it was so close!

Hi guys - just a dew questions as activation trip is coming up next month:

1) My wife was told we need to remain in the US till we get our green cards, I don't think this is accurate...... can you share your experiences
2) How long does it take to get the physical green card?
3) If I go back to the US before the 12-month cut off and leave again for 6 months, am I jeopardizing my green card? or I would just get questions at immigration..... however I'm planning on file my US taxes moving forward to demonstrate my interest in living in the US.

I appreciate your thoughts.....

Thanks,
Carlos M.

1. It is incorrect. You can leave on the next flight after arrival.
2. 3 to 4 months, typically.
3. Some people do that - but at some point you need to show you are putting down roots in the USA.

Crazy to think I've now almost been here for seven months. I have just officially found my first real job in Hollywood (and pretty much my first actual job out of college as well) which I'm very excited about. I managed to land an internship straight away when I got here and that finished end of June, so it's taken me a few months to get something permanent, but persistence is key I've found! I actually think being an Aussie worked to my advantage in the interview since she seemed to be impressed that I was ambitious enough about making it in the entertainment biz to move all the way across the pacific.

I feel unbelievably lucky to be here doing this and I think when coming over here it's easy to get caught up with achieving more and moving up, but it's important to remember to stop and think that just being here is an achievement in itself. So when anyone inevitably moving struggles with finding their feet and getting work, it's important not to be too hard on oneself!

Hi, I'm planning to move April next year which will be a few months before my 1 year date since activation back in May.
In the mean time I was going to travel to the US and check out a few places to live etc for a couple of weeks before coming back here and sorting things for the big move.
Will I be allowed to do that? Read about re-entry permits but they're only for if I would be out of the USA for over a year. I'd only be out for 6 months before doing the full move, will they have issues with me doing so? Would my GC be at risk?