• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

And whatever you do, DO NOT enter the US with ESTA - that would be a big mistake.
OK guys, thank you so so much. We finally convinced them to call US immigration for the third time to check, and they got the correct response. Now we've missed our flight and had to be moved to a later flight. The muppets comment will go via qantas feedback @Britsimon - I'm rather outraged at this turn of events. We are, however, enjoying our champagne in the first class lounge - our compensation for a ridiculous morning.

To all entering with a temporary LPR endorsement, take all the documentation you can - link provided by the incomparable @Britsimon .

OK guys, thank you so so much. We finally convinced them to call US immigration for the third time to check, and they got the correct response. Now we've missed our flight and had to be moved to a later flight. The muppets comment will go via qantas feedback @Britsimon - I'm rather outraged at this turn of events. We are, however, enjoying our champagne in the first class lounge - our compensation for a ridiculous morning.

To all entering with a temporary LPR endorsement, take all the documentation you can - link provided by the incomparable @Britsimon .

Glad it worked out - and champers too - that's the least they could do...

I'm sorry you went through this. We do often advise on this forum that people take the page of the manual with - sorry you missed that. You're not the first person who's had problems with airline staff using the endorsement. Good luck with getting going and yeah, enjoy that champagne, a small compensation - a better one would be bumping you to first for the entire flight ;)

Guys, some help needed. We're at the airport and qantas won't check us in with the stamp we got at activation. They called customs who apparently also said no, so now we need to register with esta before we can fly. Any advice?

What a terrible experience to have!!! Can't believe a major airline like Qantas wouldn't have their info together. At least you got rewarded in the end.

What a terrible experience to have!!! Can't believe a major airline like Qantas wouldn't have their info together. At least you got rewarded in the end.

It's not really anything to do with how major* the airline is, but what they are used to seeing. Qantas probably sees very few of these - probably sees very few visas too given the VWP - so it's maybe understandable (not excusable, they should have the handbook available). Whereas an airline you might consider minor but flies out of a country with many emigrants to the US would be more familiar with it.

(*to many people qantas is just Australian, not major like BA for example which has planes flying all over the world, not just to and from the uk)

Well it's been a very disheartening experience applying for even entry level jobs within the US and being rejected because Australian universities don't teach what's required for me to even get these jobs. :(
This was all to try get a better life there but I can't use my degree here or there so, yay /sarcasm/ :p

Aren't you living in a place where there aren't many jobs in your field? Perhaps consider moving where the work is?

Don't get disheartened. It's a tough hustle to get a job but you WILL get one. Don't give up. :)

Well it's been a very disheartening experience applying for even entry level jobs within the US and being rejected because Australian universities don't teach what's required for me to even get these jobs. :(
This was all to try get a better life there but I can't use my degree here or there so, yay /sarcasm/ :p

How long have you been in the US?

Incidentally, do you have a 3-year or 4-year degree?

Not in US yet. I won't be moving unless I can get a job as that's the big reason for moving, making sure I can even get a job. If not, then I'll be staying in Australia. (I do state on all my documents that I am eligible to work in USA and have my LPR status). And I don't have a spouse or anyone to help support me if I end up living there for several months unable to get a job. I'd have to come home, broke, tail between my legs and no job left here in Aus :(

But I have a 3 year degree and a 1 year masters.
I have been unable to use my degree's in Australia because I don't have experience to get said jobs, and can't get experience since I can't get a job, that leaves me applying for only entry level jobs within the US. And looks like that's a bust too since I haven't learned the correct things during my degree to make me eligible for entry level jobs. So silly. Entry level jobs are for people to be trained though aren't they? So everyone going for entry level won't know 100% everything.

Oh well. I'm a firm believer that if it's not meant to be, then it's just not meant to be :)
I've come to enjoy living here in Australia and it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to stay here (except when it comes to retiring in my later years as I'm not eligible for pension, darn) :p

The percentage of people who get jobs in the US before they move is tiny, no matter what you put on your CV. I don't know how many DV winners here found jobs before they moved, especially without connections (I recall we had one OC who got offered something through a connection) but if that's your criteria, yes you'll probably end up staying in Australia...

The percentage of people who get jobs in the US before they move is tiny, no matter what you put on your CV. I don't know how many DV winners here found jobs before they moved, especially without connections (I recall we had one OC who got offered something through a connection) but if that's your criteria, yes you'll probably end up staying in Australia...

Oh well. This was a fun and eye opening experience while it lasted then. Such a shame this was all for naught.
Not the end of the world though :)

Not in US yet. I won't be moving unless I can get a job as that's the big reason for moving, making sure I can even get a job. If not, then I'll be staying in Australia. (I do state on all my documents that I am eligible to work in USA and have my LPR status). And I don't have a spouse or anyone to help support me if I end up living there for several months unable to get a job. I'd have to come home, broke, tail between my legs and no job left here in Aus :(

But I have a 3 year degree and a 1 year masters.
I have been unable to use my degree's in Australia because I don't have experience to get said jobs, and can't get experience since I can't get a job, that leaves me applying for only entry level jobs within the US. And looks like that's a bust too since I haven't learned the correct things during my degree to make me eligible for entry level jobs. So silly. Entry level jobs are for people to be trained though aren't they? So everyone going for entry level won't know 100% everything.

Oh well. I'm a firm believer that if it's not meant to be, then it's just not meant to be :)
I've come to enjoy living here in Australia and it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to stay here (except when it comes to retiring in my later years as I'm not eligible for pension, darn) :p

Agree with Susie.

1. You won't get a job from Australia.
2. You won't get all the doors opening simply because you have a degree.
3. You won't make the move successfully without some gamble and guts. If you are not prepared to take the gamble, you won't make it.

Oh well. This was a fun and eye opening experience while it lasted then. Such a shame this was all for naught.
Not the end of the world though :)

Yet you say you're battling to find jobs in Australia too, with a much smaller overall jobs market, but decided to stay anyway. Ah well, your decision. At least OC / everyone being current means you haven't taken a visa spot someone else could have used better.

But Simon is right - the US doesn't always suit people who don't like being out of their comfort zones.

Yet you say you're battling to find jobs in Australia too, with a much smaller overall jobs market, but decided to stay anyway. Ah well, your decision. At least OC / everyone being current means you haven't taken a visa spot someone else could have used better.

Sorry, I meant finding a job to relate to my degree :) I have a job here, just a pleb but still a job, lol

Just sucks that even with a SSN and everything they won't even consider me because I'm living in Australia. :(

And read on Simon's site that we're to expect to take a step back moving, but then a step down from where I am, would be a cleaner or waiter, but alas, I have no experience in those fields and can't even get those jobs. HAHAHA
Oh the humanity! :p

Just sucks that even with a SSN and everything they won't even consider me because I'm living in Australia. :(

Yes, of course they won't, because most people looking for an entry level job are available pretty much instantly, and clearly they think that someone living half a world away will take some time to get there. I would. Plus, you know, the small issue that most people like face to face interviews. Again, being in Australia makes that hard. Etc.

Btw, not all SSN numbers allow you to work, that doesn't mean anything.

Yes, of course they won't, because most people looking for an entry level job are available pretty much instantly, and clearly they think that someone living half a world away will take some time to get there. I would. Plus, you know, the small issue that most people like face to face interviews. Again, being in Australia makes that hard. Etc.

Btw, not all SSN numbers allow you to work, that doesn't mean anything.

Boo :( That's a real bummer. Oh well :oops:

And I didn't know if all companies required face to face interviews and I know people who'd gotten jobs through purely phone interviews. But guess they won't want to call Australia unless it's by accident to find out if our toilets flush the opposite way, lol (Simpson's joke.) :p

Sorry for being a downer, ya'll just feeling sooooo naive about this whole thing. Just wanted to be super prepared so I'd have a job and cash flow as soon as I move, but that doesn't sound like the case.
Sorry for b****ing. Don't mean to seem ungrateful or anything.
Ya'll have been great help :)

I concur with @Britsimon and @SusieQQQ, you won't get a job until you're here.

I have been offered roles in the past for overseas roles with phone / teleconferencing, but they were highly specialized roles where the candidate pool was small and I had more bargaining / negotiating power. So they could either fly me in at their expense for the interview or teleconference: they always chose teleconferencing or Skype because it was cheaper.

An American employer, particularly for an entry level position, won't go to the trouble of setting up a teleconference call when they will have local candidates ready to interview that day and start the next.

If it were me, I wouldn't play it safe. I'd come over and try your luck. So what if it doesn't work and you have to return to Australia. At least you tried then.

Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

Like so many others, I came across this site in the weeks leading up to 'the interview' and found a wealth of invaluable information. Thanks to all, particularly Britsimon and EmilyW!

Living in San Francisco has long been a dream, but the cost of living led us to other options. We've settled on the Pacific Northwest, but remain open to other options depending on work.

My wife and I have decided to take the plunge straight away rather than taking a separate activation trip. We fly to Seattle on July 25th and head to Portland a little while after that.

We're super excited, but also coping with a healthy fear of the unknown. We've given up good jobs and a nicely established existence, but hey - life is short!

Congratulations to those lucky enough to be afforded such an amazing opportunity, and best of luck!!!!