• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

Hi all! Just quickly checking in. Hope everyone is doing well! Love reading everyones interview success stories and the lead up to the big move.

I'm coming up to 4 months in the US in just a few days. Time flies! I've known for the longest time that I wanted to move to the US, but I don't think I properly realised just how emotionally taxing and stressful it would be until I actually got here. Despite having wanted this forever, it's still a very difficult thing to do. But I've now settled in very nicely. I honestly miss Australia less and less as each day goes by and I become happier and happier with my decision to move here. Anyone who's back in comfortable and easy Australia and fretting about the move, just do it! I had some work to keep me busy these first few months, but that's coming up to an end now so I'll be back to square one at the end of the month, but I think some of the connections I've made at this job will help me find my next one which is good.

I really absolutely love it here in LA, it was easier to come here as I had a good friend here already and I'm in film so obviously the heart of the industry is here. I can't believe I considered even moving elsewhere, I need to update my profile pic. :D

Hey Everyone!

I'm a winner of the 2016 DV lottery. I have received my GC and SSN but have yet to move.
There are a few places I've been looking at moving to and would love to know if anywhere here lives in these areas or could give me feedback on how they are.
I've very much into the arts and gay community so was looking at NYC, Seattle, Los Angeles or San Fran.
NYC and San Fran are top of the list.

Thanks. And it's nice to officially meet you all!

Come to LA! :D We have everything... arts, gays and gays in arts! I live in West Hollywood which is really the center of the community and it's the best!

tumblr_mjgwn2KOpw1qj28qwo3_250.gif

Last edited:
Hi all! Just quickly checking in. Hope everyone is doing well! Love reading everyones interview success stories and the lead up to the big move.

I'm coming up to 4 months in the US in just a few days. Time flies! I've known for the longest time that I wanted to move to the US, but I don't think I properly realised just how emotionally taxing and stressful it would be until I actually got here. Despite having wanted this forever, it's still a very difficult thing to do. But I've now settled in very nicely. I honestly miss Australia less and less as each day goes by and I become happier and happier with my decision to move here. Anyone who's back in comfortable and easy Australia and fretting about the move, just do it! I had some work to keep me busy these first few months, but that's coming up to an end now so I'll be back to square one at the end of the month, but I think some of the connections I've made at this job will help me find my next one which is good.

I really absolutely love it here in LA, it was easier to come here as I had a good friend here already and I'm in film so obviously the heart of the industry is here. I can't believe I considered even moving elsewhere, I need to update my profile pic. :D

Come to LA! :D We have everything... arts, gays and gays in arts! I live in West Hollywood which is really the center of the community and it's the best!

tumblr_mjgwn2KOpw1qj28qwo3_250.gif

"arts, gays and gays in arts"

Brilliant.

Folks moving from some of the more institutionally homophobic countries, should be required to spend a year in West Hollywood as immersion therapy.

Hi guys, quick question - do we need to vote in the Australian election now that we're living in the US? And not considering returning back to Australia anytime soon..

Thanks!

Hi guys, quick question - do we need to vote in the Australian election now that we're living in the US? And not considering returning back to Australia anytime soon..

Thanks!

Well if you're still on the electoral roll then yes you're meant to. You can just go into your closest consulate and do it this week I think. I removed myself before leaving Australia because I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

Hello folks - long time. Actually I should be in the 2015 forum but anyway.

I have a question for all you experts. I still haven't made the big move. I'm in the middle of my "one year to move" period, but I was thinking of something. I've noticed that time spent outside of the USA for 6 months or more gets classed as "broken residency" when counting the five years for naturalisation purposes, and may delay citizenship by a year. If I had another trip to the USA at the 6 month mark, would it allow me to get citizenship a year earlier because I can count back to my initial activation date?

thanks guys!

Hello folks - long time. Actually I should be in the 2015 forum but anyway.

I have a question for all you experts. I still haven't made the big move. I'm in the middle of my "one year to move" period, but I was thinking of something. I've noticed that time spent outside of the USA for 6 months or more gets classed as "broken residency" when counting the five years for naturalisation purposes, and may delay citizenship by a year. If I had another trip to the USA at the 6 month mark, would it allow me to get citizenship a year earlier because I can count back to my initial activation date?

thanks guys!

Yes. I know people who did this and were fine naturalizing 5 years after initial activation.

Yes. I know people who did this and were fine naturalizing 5 years after initial activation.

Thanks Suzie - I know you've already said yes but I just want to double-check. Any greater than 6 month period spent outside the USA resets the citizenship timer to the beginning?

Seeing as we're on the topic already, if I come in and out of the US on a very frequent basis, say minimum twice per month, would I run into any problems when applying for citizenship after the 5 years? If I can clearly show the travel is for business/work or otherwise holidays?

These links might help:

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/af...bilities-green-card-holder-permanent-resident

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/international-travel-permanent-resident

Here's the passage which may be of greatest interest:
Abandonment may be found to occur in trips of less than a year where it is believed you did not intend to make the United States your permanent residence. While brief trips abroad generally are not problematic, the officer may consider criteria such as whether your intention was to visit abroad only temporarily, whether you maintained U.S. family and community ties, maintained U.S employment, filed U.S. income taxes as a resident, or otherwise established your intention to return to the United States as your permanent home. Other factors that may be considered include whether you maintained a U.S. mailing address, kept U.S. bank accounts and a valid U.S. driver’s license, own property or run a business in the United States, or any other evidence that supports the temporary nature of your absence.

Seeing as we're on the topic already, if I come in and out of the US on a very frequent basis, say minimum twice per month, would I run into any problems when applying for citizenship after the 5 years? If I can clearly show the travel is for business/work or otherwise holidays?

Part of the requirement includes the actual time you spend in the US. I think it's 30 out of 60 months. Suggest you read up on the full requirements if you are expecting to travel out so frequently b

Hi all!

A quick question about credit cards. How long should I be waiting before applying for a proper credit card? I've got a basic card with a $1000 limit at the moment which I've been using and paying off at the end of each month, as well as car payments. Credit Karma says my score is sitting at 697 at the moment. I was gonna wait maybe six months, but I don't know if that'll be long enough. Any thoughts?

Hi all!

A quick question about credit cards. How long should I be waiting before applying for a proper credit card? I've got a basic card with a $1000 limit at the moment which I've been using and paying off at the end of each month, as well as car payments. Credit Karma says my score is sitting at 697 at the moment. I was gonna wait maybe six months, but I don't know if that'll be long enough. Any thoughts?

If you have a job and your credit score is appearing already you should already be able to apply for a credit card. 697 is not a bad score at all, and having another credit card will improve the score (after an initial dip). Just make sure you manage the card well, pay it off every month (almost the whole balance). It actually helps your score to leave a balance on your card, but to minimize interest, you want to leave a tiny amount, like about $10. Keeping the amount low during the month is important too - as the credit agencies rate you on how much of the available credit you are using.

So - the almost perfect scenario would be this.
  • Have 2 or 3 credit cards, plus one or two other types of credit account (such as a car loan).
  • Pay everything on time (or early) without fail.
  • Add up the total available credit line on the credit cards, make payments through the month to keep the overall balance down to less than 30% of the available credit (lower is better).
  • Always pay more than the minimum to avoid interest, but leave a tiny balance (like $10/20) on the bill so the bank earn "some" interest from you (pennies).
  • Don't apply for credit needlessly - try and limit the credit checks "pulls" to 2 or 3 over a 2 year period (hard to do that when you are starting off).
My Credit Karma score is in the high 700's now - so the strategy seems to work. My official FICO scores are slightly lower - about 750 - 760. That is "very dependable" but I would need more credit lines to get to get over 800, or "excellent" (and I don't need more credit).

By the way, if you get a credit card, get one with no annual fees and cashback. Discover is good, Chase have some good cards and the new one from Costco has an excellent cashback deal (Costco members only).

If you have a job and your credit score is appearing already you should already be able to apply for a credit card. 697 is not a bad score at all, and having another credit card will improve the score (after an initial dip). Just make sure you manage the card well, pay it off every month (almost the whole balance). It actually helps your score to leave a balance on your card, but to minimize interest, you want to leave a tiny amount, like about $10. Keeping the amount low during the month is important too - as the credit agencies rate you on how much of the available credit you are using.

So - the almost perfect scenario would be this.
  • Have 2 or 3 credit cards, plus one or two other types of credit account (such as a car loan).
  • Pay everything on time (or early) without fail.
  • Add up the total available credit line on the credit cards, make payments through the month to keep the overall balance down to less than 30% of the available credit (lower is better).
  • Always pay more than the minimum to avoid interest, but leave a tiny balance (like $10/20) on the bill so the bank earn "some" interest from you (pennies).
  • Don't apply for credit needlessly - try and limit the credit checks "pulls" to 2 or 3 over a 2 year period (hard to do that when you are starting off).
My Credit Karma score is in the high 700's now - so the strategy seems to work. My official FICO scores are slightly lower - about 750 - 760. That is "very dependable" but I would need more credit lines to get to get over 800, or "excellent" (and I don't need more credit).

By the way, if you get a credit card, get one with no annual fees and cashback. Discover is good, Chase have some good cards and the new one from Costco has an excellent cashback deal (Costco members only).

Thanks for all that, Simon. Really great to know all that!

I don't have a job at the moment so I guess I'll have to hold off on applying for another card. Do you know what a realistic credit limit would be after a few months in the country and a short, but decent credit history?

I'll try leaving a small amount on the card at the end of the month as well, so far I've just been paying off the entire thing at the end of the month.