• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 Administrative Processing Cases

Hi ya all, I and my husband have same last names so do you think this would be one factor for our prolonged AP? Britsimon do you have somethig to say on this issue?

and one more thing our medical certificate will expire after one month, what we are supposed to do about this if we are not cleared before then?

Hi ya all, I and my husband have same last names so do you think this would be one factor for our prolonged AP? Britsimon do you have somethig to say on this issue?

Having the same name as your spouse is normal. Perhaps you mean you had the same lastname prior to marriage - raising suspicion that you were related. I assume your birth documents would have shown that not to be the case, but perhaps that was inconclusive and that might be a factor for AP - but if I had to guess - I would say "no".

It's hard to tell why. One of the possible factors is someone with a similar name being on a no fly list or something like that.

I think you have probably seen the info from Martin about name checks - but if not I have included a link below.

Like Susie, it is intriguing that Montreal is involved in both cases. They (the embassy) might simply be struggling with procedures, or batching their work in some way. However, all we can do is speculate - and of course, be patient.

http://britsimonsays.com/administrative-processing-fbi-name-checks/
Thank you Britsimon. You may actually be right with regards to my name. I do not believe my name is on "fly list" however while traveling to Chicago in 1991 or so I was kept on the boarder for few hrs. because customs were interviewing me and wanted me to admit that I am a known criminal from Chicago. After explaining that this is the first time I am entering US it took few hrs. to finally let me in. Have been to US since then perhaps more than 100 times though.

I am DV winner of 2016 from Eritrea. Since the US Embassy in our country didn't handle the DV CASE, I have done the interview on 18, Feb 2016 in US Embassy of Addis ababa, Ethiopia. The CO put my case in AP. My case updated once in 19th of Feb,since then there is NO update.I send an email to the embassy but they didn't replied it. How long does the AP take ?

Hi aku, I am from Eritrea too, and I had my interview in Addis Ababa in February. Why do you think they are putting us under AP? I mean did they give you any reason why?

Last edited:
Hi DV_hopeful, the CO didn't tell me any reason why he put me in AP.The CO mainly concentrate in my university degree while he interviewed me ,May be that could be the reason. Where did you had your interview.
Hi aku, I am from Eritrea too, and I had my interview in Addis Ababa in February. Why do you think they are putting us under AP? I mean did they give you any reason why?

Hi DV_hopeful, the CO didn't tell me any reason why he put me in AP.The CO mainly concentrate in my university degree while he interviewed me ,May be that could be the reason. Where did you had your interview.

I had my interview in Addis Ababa, in early February 2016. I was not given a reason for the AP too. My main worry is that my Ethiopian visa might expire before the AP is completed. Did they keep your passport?

I had my interview in Addis Ababa, in early February 2016. I was not given a reason for the AP too. My main worry is that my Ethiopian visa might expire before the AP is completed. Did they keep your passport?

Visa quotas are by REGION, not country.

No ,they didn't kept the travel document (since I didn't have eritrean passport) with them. The CO return it at the time of interview.

I meant that I am staying in Ethiopia under tourist visa, I traveled to Ethiopia for the DV interview because there is no US embassy in Eritrea. And now my Ethiopian Visa is close to expiring.
No ,they didn't kept the travel document (since I didn't have eritrean passport) with them. The CO return it at the time of interview.

So you might be better off planning to travel home - and then arrange a secure way to forward your passport to them once your case is approved.

So you might be better off planning to travel home - and then arrange a secure way to forward your passport to them once your case is approved.
Thanks britsimon for your quick response and your concern. BUT u know what I can't go back to my homeland. In eritrea we can't get passport. ?.......The government didn't didn't allow any body to have passport,And I came to Ethiopia via border crossing. ?.....which means illegal. Thus why I didn't get back to my homeland. I am residing in Ethiopia as a refuge.

My wife case changed from administrative processing to ready just today. Should I be worried?!
Mine still AP. Please advice.

Advice? Just wait....
Hello Mr.Simon

It s been a while,i have a question if you could share you r opinion.I had update on Friday last week and on Monday this week it s my 12 update since December 2015 what do you think would they refuse me allready if there is anything wrong.I know there so no funky stuff in my life.In 7 days i ll be 5 months in AP and of course this is long time so what s you r opinion??
Thank you.

Hello Mr.Simon

It s been a while,i have a question if you could share you r opinion.I had update on Friday last week and on Monday this week it s my 12 update since December 2015 what do you think would they refuse me allready if there is anything wrong.I know there so no funky stuff in my life.In 7 days i ll be 5 months in AP and of course this is long time so what s you r opinion??
Thank you.

One more time. The number of updates is meaningless.

Yes some cases get refused after AP. There is nothing meaningful about the length of time on AP. If the background checks revealed some concern, they would not approve you no matter how long you had waited.

Now - the only positive I can give you is that most cases on the type of extended AP you are on seem to be decided at around 5 months - sometimes 4 sometimes 6. So - your AP could end soon - although there have been some cases that last longer still - and of course some cases run out of time.

I checked status again this morning and my case turned AP again, now i checked and its issued..
Thank you guys for the support, god speed for those whom still in AP, don't lose hope and just as britsimon says just wait and have faith.

Interview took a place in 3/30 Egypt Cairo
Issued 4/27
congratulation

I checked status again this morning and my case turned AP again, now i checked and its issued..
Thank you guys for the support, god speed for those whom still in AP, don't lose hope and just as britsimon says just wait and have faith.

Interview took a place in 3/30 Egypt Cairo
Issued 4/27
Congrats KOvaxo