• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 winners from Europe

Hi guys,
Well, I'd like an opinion from you @Britsimon :) I'd really appreciate your experience and knowledge about this...
We are planning our journey to US around April. The question is: In order not to carry cash with us....to avoid carrying, lets say $20k in our bags :p...our cousins in the US told us to leave that money in Albania (they are buying a house in AL) and to avoid carrying cash around (for us and for them)...we can leave that amount for them in Albania, and they will give us the same amount when we get there. It's just a question of not having big money in cash with us.
Do you think there might be any problem if we
1) declare lets say $3000-$5000 when we get at the US entry point and then afterwards we deposit the amount of $20k in the bank afterwards, when our cousins give them to us (might them tax them)?? o_O
2) do you think $3000-$5000 is a small amount to declare (for a couple...my husband and I)??
3) and the last, do we need to apply for health coverage as soon as we enter the US, or we have to wait until we start working?

1. That plan would be ok. The only thing I would say is that a large unexplained deposit to your personal bank account could raise a suspicion of undeclared income IF you were audited (unlikely). So keep some proof that this was the money from Albania (bank statement).
2. They don't question you at POE about how you will survive on only $5k. They would be more interested if you were carrying over $10k.
3. I believe you should get insurance ASAP. Your liability is high and a simple broken leg through a trip will wipe out that $20k instantly. As to whether you want to delay that for a couple of weeks until you find work, well that is your call. You could maybe rely on travel insurance for a short period of time, but not long. Many jobs (especially white collar jobs) have health insurance as part of the package - so the advantage of waiting is maybe the simpler application process for a company scheme (and probably better coverage).

Incudentally - need to check the terms of the travel insurance. I believe this varies by country of origin and/or insurer. I know of some people who were covered by theirs. When I checked ours it only covered stays that included a return ticket within a certain amount of time (ie specifically intended as travel insurance, not to replace normal insurance).

Hi guys,

I was successful on my interview at the US Consulate General in Naples, Italy! So, I want to share my experience with you. Hopefully this can help someone!
Please note that some of the information you read in this post may apply only if you are attending your interview in Naples, Italy.

Let's start from the medical examination:

- In Italy, there's no need to book your medical examination. It is automatically scheduled for the day before the interview (this is nice in my opinion, especially if you don't live near Naples). If you need any information from the medical center, be sure to call them on Mondays and Tuesdays morning. This is the only time they answer DV-related questions.
- You need to bring 4 pictures (no need to be American passport size). Please note that this is a new requirement for DV2015 (only one pic was required till DV2014). Anyway, if you forget to bring them don't freak out: there is an automatic machine nearby where you can take them if needed.
- Bring your passport with you
- Bring your vaccination certificate and any other relevant information about your clinical history (especially if you underwent *significant* surgery in the past)
- The medical examination is scheduled at 8:00 am for everyone. I was there by 7:30am and I was the 6th in line (not only DV winners, also spouses/fiancèes of American citizens). I advise you to be there early (the earlier the better, first-come first-served). The medical center (Istituto Medico Varelli) opens at 7am. There is a dedicated counter for "consulate" medical examinations. When your number is current, you give the passport to the lady at the counter, and then you can sit and wait in a waiting room.
-I was called after 1 hour waiting (it was 8:30am) for the blood test, and for the chest x-ray right after. After that, you are asked to wait in another waiting room (next to the x-ray room) and wait for a first interview with a M.D..
- After another hour waiting (it was around 9:30am), my name was called. There were 2 M.D.s in the room, interviewing one person each. You need to give the vaccinations certificate and the 4 pictures at this time. The M.D. asks you some generic non-medical questions (phone number, email address, address in the US, etc.) and fills some electronic forms (it was actually funny because the M.D. was kinda old, and REEEALLY slow at typing!!!). He then takes a look at your vaccination records. He seemed to care only about Tetanus and MMR vaccinations (this was my case: male, in the 30s, but also the other people there reported this. Probably if you are not too young nor too old you need only these 2, but again I cannot say this for sure). If you're not ok with vaccinations, you can take shots there (it costs you some extra euros though). After that you have to pay (170 Euros in my case as I didn't have any extra shots to take). You can pay either cash (euros only) or credit/debit card.
I have two advices for you at this time: 1- Tetanus vaccination lasts 10 years, after that you need to take a booster. If you don't want to pay extra money, be sure to check this and take a booster prior of the medical examination. 2- Even if you can take shots at the medical center, they may run out of shots!!! They actually did that day. The MD writes a note in the form where he states that the medical center ran out of shots and advices you to take it on your own. I am sure this will not impact the interview with the CO (the person that had this note on the medical form was eventually issued the visa), but I don't know if they are going to question at the POE.
- After this first "screening/acceptance", you go back to the entrance and wait for the medical examination. You have to wait your turn again. Once you're in, the MD asks some questions about your clinical history, then measures your body temperature and blood pressure. Then he measures your height and weight (and calculate the BMI). He then visits you (checks for nodules, hear your lungs and heart, palpates your abdomen). You take vaccine shots at this point, if you need to.
- After that, you're finally done! Total time: 3 hours. At 10.30am I was out of the medical center and ready to visit Naples!

The day after, I was scheduled for the interview at the Consulate at 8:30 am. The Consulate is water front, and there is a really nice view of the Gulf of Naples from there! :)
I was there by 7:40am but the guard told me that they will let you in just 15 minutes before your interview time. So, you don't need to rush (also because you have to wait outside!).
Anyway, this is how it went:

- at exactly 8:15am I was called at the security check. There they ask for your passport. You have to surrender your mobile phone (they keep it and give you a tag). Then you have to go through metal detector. They give you a number. I was number 10 (but they were not consecutive numbers, there were less than 10 people before me).
- Then you go inside the consulate, 2nd floor. There is a waiting room there where you wait your turn with the other applicants.
- There are many counters there, but only some of them were active. Two for documents checking, one for the CO interview, and one for the cashier.
- When it's your turn, you are first called for documents collection. You talk to a nice lady: I had to give the passport, 2 American size pics, and all the documents needed along with photocopies (birth cert., police cert., proof of education, military records). They asked me for higher education level certificate only (Master's degree in my case). They didn't ask for my high school diploma (but it is safer to bring it, just in case!). They gave me back an envelope (not sealed) containing some papers from the medical examination and a CD with the x-ray. You are advised to bring that envelope with you when you enter the US. If you need to change your US address, this is the right time to do it. They also asked for proof of registration to the courier service. Then, you are given a paper sheet stating the fee amount you need to pay ($330).
- You go to the cashier and pay the fee. You can pay either cash, or credit card (all major credit cards accepted: Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Diners), or debit card (note that only US debit cards are accepted). You have to bring the receipt back to the lady that collected your documents, and sit and wait for the interview with the CO.
- After few minutes waiting, my name was called by the CO. I went to the counter where a young kind guy was waiting for me. He said: "Don't worry, the interview is going to last 1 minute only!". He was actually wrong, but it took no more than 3-4 minutes! :D . He asked to rise my right hand and swear that all the information provided were true. After that, he asked me:
- what did I do in the US under my J1 Visa some years ago and how long did I stay there
- what did I do after that
- wheter I am currently employed full time and what is my current job position
- what is my relation to the host in the US​
He said, "OK, this make sense, so...congratulations!". He then explained me how it works with the courier service and gave me back all the originals of the documents and kept the photocopies and the passport. I also asked him one question about POE and he was happy to help me.
- I wasn't asked any proof of my financial status (even if I was prepared for that), but I guess that asking about my current employment status (I actually felt he was really interested about full-time employement status) and relation to the host was a way to check if I can easily sustain myself for the first period and find a job in the US.
- At 9:30am I was out of the consulate with a big smile on my face, walking through the sunshine and thinking about...everything!

That's it! Pretty smooth. Easier to say once your visa has been issued. :) When I was in Naples I couldn't sleep well for the fear of waking up late and miss the appointments time!
Also, as a personal advice, don't worry too much for the waiting times. Just stay relaxed, and use that time to talk to the other applicants. You can learn new things and make new friends.
Sorry for the (maybe too) long post, but I wanted to share my experience with you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I want to thank all the members of this fantastic forum, you have all been very helpful in making the process smoother and letting me go to the interview well prepared. It's good when you don't have negative surprises. BIG BIG THANKS.

Cheers,
Adalb

Congrats! that was nice :)

Incudentally - need to check the terms of the travel insurance. I believe this varies by country of origin and/or insurer. I know of some people who were covered by theirs. When I checked ours it only covered stays that included a return ticket within a certain amount of time (ie specifically intended as travel insurance, not to replace normal insurance).

Yes very true, and for a big claim they would certainly try and wriggle out of paying. So - I wouldn't want to rely on it myself (and didn't). That is where that mid way insurance might be useful. I'll check out the terms.

By the way - I had a return ticket when I arrived. It was cheaper that way - although I was also thinking we might have used it if we wanted.

It's been 3 weeks already that I am still on AP. Only 2 xerocopies were missing and they need 3 weeks and more to decide whether I am issued or denied??? The CO didn't say anything about reviewing the docs or anything. He only said,' As long as we get the missing docs along with the passports we will be able to complete your case. I know 2 couples from AS region that were put on AP after me in the same embassy where I was, but they already got issued. Why are they leaving my case behind and dealing others I don't understand? What are they waiting for????? I swear I have all the documents true, and did't lie about anything, and no mistakes, I don't see anything that can make them doubt. My status was AP on the 15th, and was updated on the 16th again as AP, which was because of I think they got my missing docs from the box and looked at my case again. I don't see any changes since then.
I hope you get your visas ASAP, but...why don't you give them a call, or drop them an email? At least in Tirana (Albania) they are really helpful and respond really quicky. I sent them an email asking for some info....after we were put on AP and they answered the next day.
Give them a call, maybe it's just an admin thing... Having too much work, sometimes they process actual cases (interviews) before yours.
Best of luck xx

1. That plan would be ok. The only thing I would say is that a large unexplained deposit to your personal bank account could raise a suspicion of undeclared income IF you were audited (unlikely). So keep some proof that this was the money from Albania (bank statement).
2. They don't question you at POE about how you will survive on only $5k. They would be more interested if you were carrying over $10k.
3. I believe you should get insurance ASAP. Your liability is high and a simple broken leg through a trip will wipe out that $20k instantly. As to whether you want to delay that for a couple of weeks until you find work, well that is your call. You could maybe rely on travel insurance for a short period of time, but not long. Many jobs (especially white collar jobs) have health insurance as part of the package - so the advantage of waiting is maybe the simpler application process for a company scheme (and probably better coverage).

dear britsimon,

at point no.3 you are suggesting us to get health insurance asap right,

could you please tell us how,
at POE after we land we will have to wait for PR Card for about 3 weeks to be mailed, do we have to apply at POE also for SSN or after we get PR card,
now, when we have to apply for health coverage, as soon as we arrive, as soon as we get PR Card or SSN, or it doesnt mattter, if we apply for obamacare next day after we land, health coverage will begin after they approve or the day we apply, what will happen if there is a need for ER after we apply for health coverage until we get approval, in the other posts you said its going to be one month timeframe.

hope I didnt bother with to many questions,,,

Thank you,

dear britsimon,

at POE after we land we will have to wait for PR Card for about 3 weeks to be mailed, do we have to apply at POE also for SSN or after we get PR card,
now, when we have to apply for health coverage, as soon as we arrive, as soon as we get PR Card or SSN, or it doesnt mattter, if we apply for obamacare next day after we land, health coverage will begin after they approve or the day we apply, what will happen if there is a need for ER after we apply for health coverage until we get approval, in the other posts you said its going to be one month timeframe.

Thank you,

Yeah, it's a problem. You are obliged to have health insurance. Registering for Obamacare is a chore, and without the correct information (such as SSN) it can be a complete "pain in the bum" as the British would say. It also might not be the best idea to rush into getting Obamcare coverage in the first few weeks as you might get insurance through a job once you start. Travel insurance policies could be compromised by the fact that you are emigrating here.

We have seen some temporary cover options in the past, I'm thinking they might offer a sensible alternative for short term cover (at least for a disaster scenario). I'll check them out and let you know what I find out.

Thank you,[/QUOTE]

If you need healthcare before the insurance cover is approved, you need to pay ouy of your own pocket. You may be able to negotiate a discount.
I'm sure the detail varies by insurer and state, but it took us about two weeks after we applied for the healthcare before cover started.

thanks britsimon, if you can find something about that let us know please.

thanks sussie for your help as well, what kind of health insurance did you apply, obamacare or anotherone, thanks.

thanks britsimon, if you can find something about that let us know please.

thanks sussie for your help as well, what kind of health insurance did you apply, obamacare or anotherone, thanks.

We have private, and used a broker because it was too confusing for us to try figure it all out ourselves - not only the terminology, but the pros and cons of different types of plans.

Simon, I have another question regarding Hepatitis B.

10 years ago, whilst living in UK, when my wife was pregnant, she submitted a blood specimen, where tests showed that she is suffering from Hepatitis B. Our GP told her that she is a carrier and Hepatits B can't be removed anymore and it doesn't possess any risks to her. When our daughter was born, she got 4 Hep B vaccines from birth till she was 1 year old.
Now, my question is: Is this going to cause us any problems? Is there any treatment that she needs undergoing, in order to get a pass from the medical examiner?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Simon, I have another question regarding Hepatitis B.

10 years ago, whilst living in UK, when my wife was pregnant, she submitted a blood specimen, where tests showed that she is suffering from Hepatitis B. Our GP told her that she is a carrier and Hepatits B can't be removed anymore and it doesn't possess any risks to her. When our daughter was born, she got 4 Hep B vaccines from birth till she was 1 year old.
Now, my question is: Is this going to cause us any problems? Is there any treatment that she needs undergoing, in order to get a pass from the medical examiner?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Hep B is not on the CDC list of diseases of public health significance - so it is not a factor for disqualification, so discuss your concerns with the doctor. Mom might be able to add something...

Hep B is not on the CDC list of diseases of public health significance - so it is not a factor for disqualification, so discuss your concerns with the doctor. Mom might be able to add something...
Simon, at the medical examiner, except for vaccinations, what else do they examine you for? Blood sample? Urine sample? Chest x-ray? EKG (heart)? Anything else?

I hope you get your visas ASAP, but...why don't you give them a call, or drop them an email? At least in Tirana (Albania) they are really helpful and respond really quicky. I sent them an email asking for some info....after we were put on AP and they answered the next day.
Give them a call, maybe it's just an admin thing... Having too much work, sometimes they process actual cases (interviews) before yours.
Best of luck xx

Thanks @Bleri . I have e-mailed them 3 times but no response. I called them but the call directs to the same e-mail for IV issues with an automated response. I don't know waht else to do.

You've correctly addressed his concerns.

Sm1smom, any suggestions?

Your wife cannot be denied a visa for this reason. Just provide this explanation to the panel physician when you go in for the medical exam and take her medical records, including your daughter's along.

Now they may put an annotation on her visa to undergo a follow up screening with the USPH (US public health) department, it's not a big deal.

I finally sent the documents to US Embassy by mail, 2 weeks in advance of the interview. All I am still missing is the Police Certificate from Italy (while I have already sent the PC from Albania & UK). Would it be a problem if I carry the missing doc with me at the interview day? @Britsimon @Sm1smom ?

You've correctly addressed his concerns.

Your wife cannot be denied a visa for this reason. Just provide this explanation to the panel physician when you go in for the medical exam and take her medical records, including your daughter's along.

Now they may put an annotation on her visa to undergo a follow up screening with the USPH (US public health) department, it's not a big deal.
That's such a relief. Thanks a lot Mom. God bless you all.

I finally sent the documents to US Embassy by mail, 2 weeks in advance of the interview. All I am still missing is the Police Certificate from Italy (while I have already sent the PC from Albania & UK). Would it be a problem if I carry the missing doc with me at the interview day? @Britsimon @Sm1smom ?

Might be wise to include a note explaining that you will provide that on the interview day.