• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 winners from Europe

I have my interview at the embassy on the 10th of March. For various reasons I was really hoping I could postpone my move until August 31st.
However, I have my first medical appointment this Thursday, February 19th. The six month period during which I have to move starts then, according to other Belgian DV lottery winners. This means I have to leave Belgium on August 19th, at the latest.
Is there any way I can ask the people at the embassy to start counting from the day of my interview, not from my medical appointment? Has anyone ever done this?

I have my interview at the embassy on the 10th of March. For various reasons I was really hoping I could postpone my move until August 31st.
However, I have my first medical appointment this Thursday, February 19th. The six month period during which I have to move starts then, according to other Belgian DV lottery winners. This means I have to leave Belgium on August 19th, at the latest.
Is there any way I can ask the people at the embassy to start counting from the day of my interview, not from my medical appointment? Has anyone ever done this?

It depends entirely on the validity of the medical. If it is a year as it is often is, your visa will be valid for 6 months from date of issue. If it is 6 months as some are, the visa expiry will be reflect the medical expiry (.or in some cases you are verbally given a date by which to enter apparently). The consulate does not have discretion over this as you seem to think by "asking" them. The law is that you have to enter before the medical expires. If it expires 6 months from date of medical, that's that. Of course the medical is only important for the first entry and there is nothing forcing you to stay permnanently the very first time you enter. Many people enter to activate their visa, go back home and wrap things up, and then make the permanent move later.

These things are not a matter of persuasion. There are rules and they follow them - that's it. So - if you are sure that the medical has 6 month validity (and in that case the visa would be timed from then) then surely it is easier to simply delay your medical??

The other thing you could do is go to the US for an activation trip during the summer, then return home for a while (as you can take up to 12 months out of the USA).

Yeah, that's what I figured. Postponing the medical is not an option, unfortunately. The assigned doctor only does DV cases on Thursdays and I'm having a small procedure done next week, so this Thursday is my only option.

I don't want to go back and forth either. Saying goodbye will be tough enough as it is and it's a waste of money anyway.

Then August 19th it shall be. Will it be a problem if I enter the USA on the very last day of the validity of my visa? Or should I leave a day earlier?

Yeah, that's what I figured. Postponing the medical is not an option, unfortunately. The assigned doctor only does DV cases on Thursdays and I'm having a small procedure done next week, so this Thursday is my only option.

I don't want to go back and forth either. Saying goodbye will be tough enough as it is and it's a waste of money anyway.

Then August 19th it shall be. Will it be a problem if I enter the USA on the very last day of the validity of my visa? Or should I leave a day earlier?

It would be unwise to plan a flight for the last day. What if the flight is cancelled. You lose your Green Card. Silly risk.

Planning on entering the US on the very last day of visa validity is a very risky gamble to take. Heck even 2 days expiry is not a suggestion I would give anyone. Flights get delayed, could be diverted or completely cancelled for that matter!

Yeah, you technically can do it but as the others have said, any delay, it's your problem not theirs. Not like a cancelled flight that the airline can make up a few days later, once the date is gone, it's gone. We entered with 5 days to spare and that was pretty nerve wracking!

Also having seen airports caught up in flight delays, remember that when you miss your flight for whatever reason even if beyond your control - you do not automatically get the next available one. If the next few are booked full they won't bump those people for you, you have to wait for a space. And August is high season still right? I wouldn't risk more than a week's leeway if I were you.

Got it. I guess I've been lucky never having had problems with flights to the US before. But I'll add in a buffer of about a week, thanks for the advice!

Issued : Feb 2nd
Got passports : Feb 4th
POE : Feb 8th to JFK
SSN Application : Feb 9th
SSN Received : Feb 17th

We did our SSN application to a SS office in Long Island.The women who got our application told us to get our SSN cards will took 5_6 business days. Than thats correct SSN cards came yesterday :):) But the weather was exremely cooooollldddddd. We came back to prior country decide how to plan the remove our business to USA. We are planning to move with all the family members on May .
That was great . Hope everyone feels this .

Issued : Feb 2nd
Got passports : Feb 4th
POE : Feb 8th to JFK
SSN Application : Feb 9th
SSN Received : Feb 17th

We did our SSN application to a SS office in Long Island.The women who got our application told us to get our SSN cards will took 5_6 business days. Than thats correct SSN cards came yesterday :):) But the weather was exremely cooooollldddddd. We came back to prior country decide how to plan the remove our business to USA. We are planning to move with all the family members on May .
That was great . Hope everyone feels this .
Thats great I got my yesterday
I was worried about it I went last week to office of SSN and she said you have already applied from your country with the dv260 and she did not file a new application and she said if doesn't come in 3 weeks you will need to come here and do it again. fortunately after a week it came and the woman at the office was right. Now things are getting real.

My status was updated twice- yesterday and today. Shortly I received reponse to my e-mails.
Dear Applicant,

Your case is in review process. We will contact you as soon as your visa is ready for pick up.

Regards,

IV Unit, Consular Section

U.S. Embassy, Yerevan

What is review process, does it take long?

Hi everyone,

I'm one of the lucky DV2015 selectee, case number: EU24***, DS260 submitted May 19 2014, current in April. I'm anxiously waiting for the 2NL, and still nothing in the mailbox. I read in this forum that the 2nl should arrive between February 12 and 24, so I'm starting to worry.:(
Does anyone in the same situation has received the 2nl? does the 2nl are all sent the same day? the selectee is my wife, will I also receive an email or is it only the main applicant?

In advance, thank you for your feedback

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm one of the lucky DV2015 selectee, case number: EU24***, DS260 submitted May 19 2014, current in April. I'm anxiously waiting for the 2NL, and still nothing in the mailbox. I read in this forum that the 2nl should arrive between February 12 and 24, so I'm starting to worry.:(
Does anyone in the same situation has received the 2nl? does the 2nl are all sent the same day? the selectee is my wife, will I also receive an email or is it only the main applicant?

In advance, thank you for your feedback

No one got his/her 2nd letter for April. I believe the 2nd letters for April will send today in the afternoon for EU time and yes they are sending at the same time that explaining that the winner has updates on his/her www.dvlottery.state.gov page .

No one got his/her 2nd letter for April. I believe the 2nd letters for April will send today in the afternoon for EU time and yes they are sending at the same time that explaining that the winner has updates on his/her page .
Thank you Esa, for the information and the good news I hope it will be today, I can't wait to receive it, I know it seems silly but I can't help it;)

Thank you Esa, for the information and the good news I hope it will be today, I can't wait to receive it, I know it seems silly but I can't help it;)

When I was new in this forum in August I asked a question about the 2nd letters . @Britsimon , @sSusieQQQ , @Sm1smom all said to be patience . Than I waited 5 months :)
You will only wait till tonight ;)

When I was new in this forum in August I asked a question about the 2nd letters . @Britsimon , @sSusieQQQ , @Sm1smom all said to be patience . Than I waited 5 months :)
You will only wait till tonight ;)
That s true, but I follow this forum since May 2014 and the closer it gets the harder it is. In the end I m very happy to be selectee and to read your post wait a little longer and prepare for what I hope will be a life changing experience for my wife and I
Thanks for your input

I am also an EU winner and became current in April (EU201527xxx). I also havent received my 2NL so I called the KCC and asked them when I can expect to get my 2NL. They told me they will be sent out before the end of February. So I guess we should at least know by the end of this week. But if get them today, like esa said, then even better.

EDIT: I also submitted my DS260 in May 2014.

Thanks for sharing Pelle;), and let's hope they will send it today otherwise we just have to wait a little longer

Please keep us posted

Hi,
No 2NL in the mailbox this morning:(
I think we will have to wait a few days more, the first one to get the email, please post here and update the spreadsheet;)

Thank you

I didnt get the 2NL either. I think it is going to be towards the end of the week like KCC told me.

I'll post an update as soon as I get it.