• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Selectees from Ghana

Any mistake that can be corrected by reopening the DS260 can be corrected at the interview. In the old days of mailing in forms most corrections were made at interview. Obviously a disqualifiable mistake can't be fixed either way.
People may prefer to have the DS correct at interview and not correct there but it's up to them. Obviously arriving with a pile of corrections looks bad.
I think i have not said anything different!

No, I think you misinterpreted what I said. You're from Europe; people think differently.
Some people go around saying the U.S. govt reads all these posts and will hold it against you one day if you criticize them. And I guess some people can't be bothered to make an account for one post, especially if it is about a rejection. We do know there are many, many more lurkers than posters so the mere fact of not posting doesn't mean anything. I've had PMs from people I've never seen post here but who are clearly regular readers for example.
Sure, no problem SusieQQQ. I just think that any complaint to the US Consul, if one would want to follow this route (note: which I certainly would be in favor of if this is a true story) would definitely need to come from the person directly affected by that action and not from somebody in an internet forum who heard something from someone who was told by somebody else that this possibly had occurred... You know the US mentality on these matters well and surely are in agreement on this, right? They will want to have first source information and hard facts - and this, and only this, will work. Surely, I don't want to discourage anyone to express their sympathy with the unknown compatriot and to share any frustration with the oh-so-awful US Consulate personnel in Ghana, yet will this have any direct effect - hardly...

Sure, no problem SusieQQQ. I just think that any complaint to the US Consul, if one would want to follow this route (note: which I certainly would be in favor of if this is a true story) would definitely need to come from the person directly affected by that action and not from somebody in an internet forum who heard something from someone who was told by somebody else that this possibly had occurred... You know the US mentality on these matters well and surely are in agreement on this, right? They will want to have first source information and hard facts - and this, and only this, will work. Surely, I don't want to discourage anyone to express their sympathy with the unknown compatriot and to share any frustration with the oh-so-awful US Consulate personnel in Ghana, yet will this have any direct effect - hardly...

Sure. Where it is useful reporting it on the forum, is if it has happened to anyone else - as it seems it has. This may in fact encourage people to lodge complaints (when they realise they are not the only ones) and the more there are, the more likely it gets looked into.

Guys got a repsonse: This is exactly it.

We're sorry we're not sure what you're asking for. the applicant can write to IVDVaccra@state.gov

Please let the person know what he should do.
Thanks.
I'm not surprised at their response since, obviously, they do not have the applicant's details-Name, DOB, Case no.- at hand, it would be difficult for them to ascertain the identity of this person in question. I would advise this individual to write to them with his details-it's the only way we would get a more-appropriate response from the embassy..(just saying)

Whether you can correct it or not will depend on the nature of the said mistake but i think generally mistakes can be corrected. are you saying you made a mistake on your DS 260 and that you were unable to attend your interview during the week? as usual hope you will answer me;)?

I have filled the ds260 for my wife and its submitted . i have stated that we have a son in both ds260 (mine and my wife's) how ever the add new applicant button isn't there to add my son and fill the ds260 for him.The embassy has asked me to take a photoshot of the page and send to them as an attachment which i have done. I am waiting for them but am guessing that if they can't add the new applicant they will ask me to bring the child's medical history and birth certificate to the embassy ....what do you think? Mean i have an open date to re appear At the embassy so as soon as they sort it out i will head for the interview.

Right. Just wondering why that person does not post her/himself to authenticate the story, we only see reported outrage and unsubstantiated claims about unfair treatment, which in the end will serve exactly no one, I suspect.
Help me out here please. How does one authenticate/ factualise a post??-when the individual in question comes on here and posts his personal experience?- would that be enough to be classified as authentic?- at least per your version?- this does not authenticate or substanciate a claim. The best way to factualise a narrative is to go to the US Embassy with this individual and check the records of what actually transpired during his interview with the CO- this is almost "impossible", practically a legal issue, moreover there is no appeal. There is nothing wrong when someone posts a narration on behalf of another- for reasons explained by Sussieqqq- that doesn't make the story doubtful! We take what people post here, directly or indirectly at "face-value" and believe that what they post might be the case-it's our only option, since we cannot validate their stories with the embassy.
I,like many others shared my interview experience and forum members believed our narratives to be true-not because it was posted by the OP.

Help me out here please. How does one authenticate/ factualise a post??-when the individual in question comes on here and posts his personal experience?- would that be enough to be classified as authentic?- at least per your version?- this does not authenticate or substanciate a claim. The best way to factualise a narrative is to go to the US Embassy with this individual and check the records of what actually transpired during his interview with the CO- this is almost "impossible", practically a legal issue, moreover there is no appeal. There is nothing wrong when someone posts a narration on behalf of another- for reasons explained by Sussieqqq- that doesn't make the story doubtful! We take what people post here, directly or indirectly at "face-value" and believe that what they post might be the case-it's our only option, since we cannot validate their stories with the embassy.
I,like many others shared my interview experience and forum members believed our narratives to be true-not because it was posted by the OP.
Man I really enjoy reading your opinions. When are you leaving gh?

It seems you are a very trustful person then, no problem with that, yet please do not expect others to believe everything that is being posted somewhere on the Internet by somebody who had heard something from somebody else. Nor will the US Consulate in Ghana, I suspect, they rightly will look at hard facts, if those exist, nothing else...

I have filled the ds260 for my wife and its submitted . i have stated that we have a son in both ds260 (mine and my wife's) how ever the add new applicant button isn't there to add my son and fill the ds260 for him.The embassy has asked me to take a photoshot of the page and send to them as an attachment which i have done. I am waiting for them but am guessing that if they can't add the new applicant they will ask me to bring the child's medical history and birth certificate to the embassy ....what do you think? Mean i have an open date to re appear At the embassy so as soon as they sort it out i will head for the interview.
in the case of Masa2, they had their interview first then discussed with the CO about the new baby. they were then told to email a scan copy of the kids birth cert.

Hi snr, these are de response from Ghana US embassy, Accra

Thank you for your email.

We wish to inform you that there are no reviews or appeals in Diversity Visa cases. Applicants are expected to demonstrate a basic level of knowledge commensurate with their documents. For example, if you passed your English exam, then it would be reasonable to expect that you speak enough English to have an interview. If you present and advanced degree in biology, then it would be reasonable to assume that you can speak logically and well about general biology topics.

Sincerely,

US Embassy Accra

Consular Section

Note: You should never pay for travel arrangements (e.g., airfare, hotels) without having a visa in your possession. The U.S. Embassy accepts no responsibility if you do so. We are unable to guarantee the issuance of a U.S. visa before a fixed travel date. You risk significant financial losses if you ignore this advice.

**** Please include your case number in all correspondence ****

Thursday, June 04, 2015 12:39 PM
Accra, IVDV
RECONSIDER MY DV CASE NUMBER 2015AF7. MALIK ANTWI.

If the wassce cert is missing can u buy the scratch card for cheking it online for the CO to check it during the interview?

You need to go with the cert. You should also take the used scratch card. That's what I've heard. Wait for other responses as well. I'm poking my nose from Kenyan forum.

We wish to inform you that there are no reviews or appeals in Diversity Visa cases. Applicants are expected to demonstrate a basic level of knowledge commensurate with their documents. For example, if you passed your English exam, then it would be reasonable to expect that you speak enough English to have an interview. If you present and advanced degree in biology, then it would be reasonable to assume that you can speak logically and well about general biology topics.

Sincerely,

US Embassy Accra

Consular Section

Note: You should never pay for travel arrangements (e.g., airfare, hotels) without having a visa in your possession. The U.S. Embassy accepts no responsibility if you do so. We are unable to guarantee the issuance of a U.S. visa before a fixed travel date. You risk significant financial losses if you ignore this advice.

Accra, IVDV

They're all dum dums. Sorry. Life goes on.

Sincerely,

US Embassy Accra

Consular Section

Accra, IVDV

Wow. So they are justifying their contravention of the guidelines....

Sadly however they are correct in that there is no appeal of DV cases.

There was a case a few years ago when some applicants successfully lobbied the department of state to stop - one of the North African countries, morocco or Algeria? I can't remember - from routinely asking for I134s. Maybe if someone wants to take the trouble to do that - won't help this person but may help future genuine applicants.

Wow. So they are justifying their contravention of the guidelines....

Sadly however they are correct in that there is no appeal of DV cases.

There was a case a few years ago when some applicants successfully lobbied the department of state to stop - one of the North African countries, morocco or Algeria? I can't remember - from routinely asking for I134s. Maybe if someone wants to take the trouble to do that - won't help this person but may help future genuine applicants.

If you are willing to help, I think I would lije to take the trouble to to lobby the department of state

If the wassce cert is missing can u buy the scratch card for cheking it online for the CO to check it during the interview?
No. The US Embassy (Accra) doesn't need scratch cards from DV applicants. They will need a copy of your WAEC cert./slip, though they have the WAEC database- for comparison. If you have a copy of your results slip, then no problem since it's as valid as the missing cert. However, if you don't, then kindly go to WAEC for a confirmation to the US Embassy, stating your name and case no.

Last edited:
in the case of Masa2, they had their interview first then discussed with the CO about the new baby. they were then told to email a scan copy of the kids birth cert.

If that should be the solution then we have his birth certificate ,medical report and passport all ready. the only problem is filling his personal ds260 .we are waiting for the response from the embassy.

No. The US Embassy (Accra) doesn't need scratch cards from DV applicants. They will need a copy of your WAEC cert./slip, though they have the WAEC database- for comparison. If you have a copy of your results slip, then no problem since it's as valid as the missing cert. However, if you don't, then kindly go to WAEC for a confirmation to the US Embassy, stating your name and case no.
Tnx