• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Selectees from Ghana

hello guys...good news for me, the embassy just called me..they said their almost done with my administrative processing but i should go and get a new medical exams done since the old one expired in march to complete my case
God is faithful. congras

Last edited:
My fellow mates, I will leave on Friday to the U.S. and arrive on Saturday evening. I enjoyed every moment with you guys on this forum. Thank you all for being supportive and will be here to update you guys when I arrive. I wish all of my colleagues a successful interview.

My fellow mates, I will leave on Friday to the U.S. and arrive on Saturday evening. I enjoyed every moment with you guys on this forum. Thank you all for being supportive and will be here to update you guys when I arrive. I wish all of my colleagues a successful interview.

hehehehe....I think its just left with only me . all my pals have had their interview and known their faith.......

what do they require from us for the police report and the medicals.....

how long does it that to get the police report with express...?

one of the forum members shared this with me last tuesday morning and my conclusion was that the CO might be experiencing fake cert presentations. We just have to be prepared for the interview and hope for the best. Thanks Britsimon

That may be the case, however it still does not entitle them to do this. As britsimon has pointed out it is against the field officer manual. In this instance they should put the applicant on AP and confirm with their educational institutions.

Honestly, I could not remember how to do every single thing I have done in the subject I have a master's degree in...I'm sure most people can't, especially more than a few months past their exams and especially in areas where computer programs do all the formulae etc you once knew but don't need to memorize anymore.

That may be the case, however it still does not entitle them to do this. As britsimon has pointed out it is against the field officer manual. In this instance they should put the applicant on AP and confirm with their educational institutions.

Honestly, I could not remember how to do every single thing I have done in the subject I have a master's degree in...I'm sure most people can't, especially more than a few months past their exams and especially in areas where computer programs do all the formulae etc you once knew but don't need to memorize anymore.

Yes agreed. It is not right.

There is no doubt that Accra COs have a difficult job. Their are faced daily with:
High fraud levels, low (but improving) standards of official record keeping, confused marriage laws and customs with all sorts of religious interpretations, low income levels locally and so on.

They also have COs that get to say the word “Refused” very often so the COs are not at all concerned about adding to the refused pile.

However, NONE of that should make Accra COs go against the clearly documented policies.

This is just wickedness at its highest level. How can u refuse someone a visa based on this.

Although Ghana has been marked as a high fraud country, the Co's should also know that there are people with genuine docs. This guy's (my friend) docs were genuine and authentic. if im to tell you the sacrifice he made for this just to be refused for no other reason but this is disheartening.

It has always been my desire to write a piece to the appropriate office to draw their attention to some of the happenings at the US embassy in Accra with specific reference to DV cases

I agree with you 100% that the CO should at least put him on AP if he/she doubts the cert. its sad that in our part of the world, CO giving refusal letters is normal thing for them.

This is just wickedness at its highest level. How can u refuse someone a visa based on this.

Although Ghana has been marked as a high fraud country, the Co's should also know that there are people with genuine docs. This guy's (my friend) docs were genuine and authentic. if im to tell you the sacrifice he made for this just to be refused for no other reason but this is disheartening.

It has always been my desire to write a piece to the appropriate office to draw their attention to some of the happenings at the US embassy in Accra with specific reference to DV cases

i think some of the CO in accra are happy when they issue refusal letter.

From my personal experience and from what I read it seems Accra doesn't really care about dv applicants. Britsimons will explain that it's due to fraud,customs and ignorance. But to reschedule a November interview to August, and some of these strange refusals it's disheartening

From my personal experience and from what I read it seems Accra doesn't really care about dv applicants. Britsimons will explain that it's due to fraud,customs and ignorance. But to reschedule a November interview to August, and some of these strange refusals it's disheartening

Don't confuse different issues. Some embassies refuse to reschedule DV interviews at all except in cases of proven medical emergency.

I beg to speak ooo, I think most innocent people are getting refused because of actions of most people who went ahead of us (years ago) like fake marriages, force documents with affidavit, and other stuffs have made the COs adapt this kind of no sympathy attitude.
I am not happy about what is going at Accra, because I was really afraid on the day of my interview seeing more refusals, but we should partly blame our predecessors (not all of them) for their bad actions which has made the attitudes of the COs changed.
Above all I think the COs should know that even twins have different character and should give each applicant a fair grounds for his or her interview. It will be better if they clear from their mind the assumptions that most Ghanaian dv applicants will lie.

I beg to speak ooo, I think most innocent people are getting refused because of actions of most people who went ahead of us (years ago) like fake marriages, force documents with affidavit, and other stuffs have made the COs adapt this kind of no sympathy attitude.
I am not happy about what is going at Accra, because I was really afraid on the day of my interview seeing more refusals, but we should partly blame our predecessors (not all of them) for their bad actions which has made the attitudes of the COs changed.
Above all I think the COs should know that even twins have different character and should give each applicant a fair grounds for his or her interview. It will be better if they clear from their mind the assumptions that most Ghanaian dv applicants will lie.

I thin k there are a number of things going on - it isn't just the things going on years ago. It is current. We have had conversations in this forum (GHana and others) about what is considered acceptable and normal. The reality is, some of the things that seem normal/acceptable to Ghanaians and other African countries are not normal or acceptable at all when we look at things from a European/USA point of view. Look at marriage for instance. Ghana is improving the understanding of marriage but the record keeping and definition of marriage still leaves ambiguity. Ghana has customary marriages, civil marriages and Islamic marriages - all have different rules and practices. W have seen where selectees felt they could choose which of these rules should be applied (for example a Muslim marrying a non Muslim). Some marriages in Ghana could be polygamous which is completely unacceptable in US law. So - when you consider these things, it might feel "organized and straightforward" to a Ghanaian, but if you apply the Euro/USA view - it is a complete mess. US law takes a very flexible approach to what is considered ok, but it is not surprising that this creates issues.

Then there is documentation - again from a Euro/USA perspective some of the conversations we have had are bizarre. Official documents frequently having errors. THe ability to get new versions of old documents to make the documents match. Same thing with education - things are improving but the centralized approach (West African Examination Council) is relatively new and the bar code implementation is a clear attempt to cut down on systematic fraud.

Then there are cultural attitudes. Bribery and corruption is common and, as we have discussed in the forum, almost acceptable. That is NOT acceptable to an EU/USA mindset.

My point is, until you have been outside of Ghana for a while you will not clearly see the issues that the COs deal with on a daily basis. And whilst much of what goes on is not deliberately fraudulent, the system almost has fraud built in.

I'm not defending them - I'm explaining the attitude.

• Hi. This might be slightly long, but the following was posted on a very well-known and reputed dv website. Inasmuch as I respect that the COs decision is final, in the applicants defense, neutrons, atoms and nucleus are part of chemistry. As well, the interview felt more like an exam. Didn't the applicant just need high school to qualify? Then why the interrogation? Sorry if I am overstepping but I feel justice has been denied in this instance and pray you would review this case. Concerned CItizen and DV winner (not from Ghana).

Then I copied britsimons post.