• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Selectees from Ghana

• Hi. This might be slightly long, but the following was posted on a very well-known and reputed dv website. Inasmuch as I respect that the COs decision is final, in the applicants defense, neutrons, atoms and nucleus are part of chemistry. As well, the interview felt more like an exam. Didn't the applicant just need high school to qualify? Then why the interrogation? Sorry if I am overstepping but I feel justice has been denied in this instance and pray you would review this case. Concerned CItizen and DV winner (not from Ghana).

Then I copied britsimons post.

Good work.
Lets hope for them to reply. If they will ever do

As dv 2015 selectees from Ghana, we took it
upon ourselves to
create a group of fellow dv 2015 selectees with the sole
aim of sharing
ideas on the dv process. This also included sharing
interview experiences.
Unfortunately there has been a lot of refusals. Out of
about 100 members
only 2 have had their visas so far.
In some cases we thought the Consulate officers were
being too strict on
applying the DV rules but we also respected their
decisions.
However one incident we would want to draw the
attention of the embassy
has to do with one of our members who had his
interview on the 1st of June
at the US Embassy in Accra.
This gentleman
was refused a visa based on
the fact that the Consulate officer at window 5 at the
time believed that
the gentleman couldnot define CHEMISTRY to her
satisfaction after he had
provided all the required documents.
This action which we believe goes contrary to the dv
rules which direct
Consulate Officers not to conduct either oral or written
exams to assess a
visa applicant's level of education.
We would plead with the Embassy to give Dv selectees a
conducive room to
defend and explain themselves.
We would be much grateful if we recieve a reply from
the embassy addressing
our concern.

• Hi. This might be slightly long, but the following was posted on a very well-known and reputed dv website. Inasmuch as I respect that the COs decision is final, in the applicants defense, neutrons, atoms and nucleus are part of chemistry. As well, the interview felt more like an exam. Didn't the applicant just need high school to qualify? Then why the interrogation? Sorry if I am overstepping but I feel justice has been denied in this instance and pray you would review this case. Concerned CItizen and DV winner (not from Ghana).

As dv 2015 selectees from Ghana, we took it
upon ourselves to
create a group of fellow dv 2015 selectees with the sole
aim of sharing
ideas on the dv process. This also included sharing
interview experiences.
Unfortunately there has been a lot of refusals. Out of
about 100 members
only 2 have had their visas so far.
In some cases we thought the Consulate officers were
being too strict on
applying the DV rules but we also respected their
decisions.
However one incident we would want to draw the
attention of the embassy
has to do with one of our members who had his
interview on the 1st of June
at the US Embassy in Accra.
This gentleman
was refused a visa based on
the fact that the Consulate officer at window 5 at the
time believed that
the gentleman couldnot define CHEMISTRY to her
satisfaction after he had
provided all the required documents.
This action which we believe goes contrary to the dv
rules which direct
Consulate Officers not to conduct either oral or written
exams to assess a
visa applicant's level of education.
We would plead with the Embassy to give Dv selectees a
conducive room to
defend and explain themselves.
We would be much grateful if we recieve a reply from
the embassy addressing
our concern.

will this emails get to the Consul? I think the person checking emails might not show them to the Consul as they dont even bother replying emails sometimes. I think sending via post addressing to the Consul - Franz Philip Seitz might work. Please this is just my view.

Last edited:

IMO, the narrative from Britsimon's earlier post didn't come close to what it meant to be "interviewed", it was clearly an oral examination from a CO who, had little or no knowledge about Chemistry. I have known and studied Science all my life...and to read about a CO saying that atoms, neutrons etc is not part of Chemistry is most frightening- a clear demonstration of the lack of basic scientific knowledge - or perhaps the CO was just being mischievous. We have read time and again where dv refusals had been attributed to agents and individual applicant's own error or ignorance of the rules, or cultural factors stemming from corruption- and this is a major contributing factor though- However, it's time we accept the fact that CO are also culpable. I think that COs who misapply the dv rules which result in refusals must be sanctioned!

Last edited:
Somehow it seems that this story increasingly becomes a distraction from what is key, namely to optimally prepare for ones own interview... just saying :(

Somehow it seems that this story increasingly becomes a distraction from what is key, namely to optimally prepare for ones own interview... just saying :(

Well, it's difficult to prepare for an interview when they ask you questions they are not supposed to!! People who know my post history will know that I often think people judge kcc/consulates too harshly because of their own personal issues, but in this instance there is no excuse...

..the lady I made reference to, in my interview details, is departing for California this friday morning @10am. Let's wish her God's traveling mercies and a great life..

Right. Just wondering why that person does not post her/himself to authenticate the story, we only see reported outrage and unsubstantiated claims about unfair treatment, which in the end will serve exactly no one, I suspect.

Hello everyone, I am filling an application and somewhere I am being asked to specify my mother tongue. It's English? Google tells me that is the language that a person speaks the best. English is my dominant language.

Right. Just wondering why that person does not post her/himself to authenticate the story, we only see reported outrage and unsubstantiated claims about unfair treatment, which in the end will serve exactly no one, I suspect.

Not everyone likes posting, especially places some people believe the U.S. govt watches forums... I think these reports are credible.

Hello everyone, I am filling an application and somewhere I am being asked to specify my mother tongue. It's English? Google tells me that is the language that a person speaks the best. English is my dominant language.

Your mother tongue is the language you were taught to speak at home.

I guess for some of us being human and reacting emotionally when a member of a forum where you have spent over a year interacting and sharing our joys and struggle is important. Call it the straw that broke the camel's back. #justsaying.

you're being awfully cold, i can't imagine how upsetting it must be for him/her, people are just hear trying to see if there's something/ANYTHING we can do to help the poor guy which is what the forum is about...........i'd rather talk about this than to see another one of those pointless spats people love having with that silicone slinger dude LOL

anyway i hope things get sorted for him somehow even though i know chances are low :(

How do I correct a mistake on my DS-260 after I have submitted it?
The DS-260 is the Department of State online form an applicant for a green card must complete in order to schedule a green card interview at a US consulate. It includes quite a bit of biographic information about the applicant, as well as the applicant’s US immigration history, etc.
If an applicant discovers, after submission, that they have made a mistake on the DS-260, such as listing an address incorrectly, they can correct this information at the consulate interview. They CANNOT submit a new DS-260 to correct the error prior to the interview.
This is not a problem as long as the mistake is brought to the attention of the officer at the consulate during the interview. Just let them know when you are called up to the window that you made a mistake on the DS-260 and need to correct it.
At the end of the day, the goal is to have all of the information in the application correct; if changes need to be made at the interview, that is not something you are going to get in trouble with the officer for doing.

you're being awfully cold, i can't imagine how upsetting it must be for him/her, people are just hear trying to see if there's something/ANYTHING we can do to help the poor guy which is what the forum is about...........i'd rather talk about this than to see another one of those pointless spats people love having with that silicone slinger dude LOL

anyway i hope things get sorted for him somehow even though i know chances are low :(
Well, if it makes you somehow feel better go right ahead, I just think it strange to get all excited about a second source story of a guy who doesn't even post on this forum. Possibly SusieQQQ is right and he is afraid to be tracked by the US Government... if so, this does not necessarily qualify him (presuming for a sec he is male) as a good source of information in my book. But be it as it will, if it makes you feel better....

The DS-260 is the Department of State online form an applicant for a green card must complete in order to schedule a green card interview at a US consulate. It includes quite a bit of biographic information about the applicant, as well as the applicant’s US immigration history, etc.
If an applicant discovers, after submission, that they have made a mistake on the DS-260, such as listing an address incorrectly, they can correct this information at the consulate interview. They CANNOT submit a new DS-260 to correct the error prior to the interview.
This is not a problem as long as the mistake is brought to the attention of the officer at the consulate during the interview. Just let them know when you are called up to the window that you made a mistake on the DS-260 and need to correct it.
At the end of the day, the goal is to have all of the information in the application correct; if changes need to be made at the interview, that is not something you are going to get in trouble with the officer for doing.
Well, I guess this will depend to some degree on the type of "error" in the submitted DS-260. To state that any and all corrections can easily be made on the day of the interview seems to be somewhat of a generalisation, no?

Whether you can correct it or not will depend on the nature of the said mistake but i think generally mistakes can be corrected. are you saying you made a mistake on your DS 260 and that you were unable to attend your interview during the week? as usual hope you will answer me;)?

Last edited:
Was at the embassy this morning and although late by two hours, i was allowed to enter the premise..I went to window 1 where my name and a sheet of paper was given to me.to pay for my visa fees ...I payed and then to window 3 where i met a gentleman..he wanted to see my ds-260 confirmation page in which i showed. He said i didn't fill the forms properly because its my responsibility to fill the ds-260 separate for my wife and my son ..He gave me a blue page and asked me to fill the ds-260 for them and send a copy of it to the embassy email as attachment ..they gave me an open date so i will return to th embassy hopefully next week....

Well, if it makes you somehow feel better go right ahead, I just think it strange to get all excited about a second source story of a guy who doesn't even post on this forum. Possibly SusieQQQ is right and he is afraid to be tracked by the US Government... if so, this does not necessarily qualify him (presuming for a sec he is male) as a good source of information in my book. But be it as it will, if it makes you feel better....

No, I think you misinterpreted what I said. You're from Europe; people think differently.
Some people go around saying the U.S. govt reads all these posts and will hold it against you one day if you criticize them. And I guess some people can't be bothered to make an account for one post, especially if it is about a rejection. We do know there are many, many more lurkers than posters so the mere fact of not posting doesn't mean anything. I've had PMs from people I've never seen post here but who are clearly regular readers for example.

Well, I guess this will depend to some degree on the type of "error" in the submitted DS-260. To state that any and all corrections can easily be made on the day of the interview seems to be somewhat of a generalisation, no?
Whether you can correct it or not will depend on the nature of the said mistake but i think generally mistakes can be corrected. are you saying you made a mistake on your DS 260 and that you were unable to attend your interview during the week? as usual hope you will answer me;)?

Any mistake that can be corrected by reopening the DS260 can be corrected at the interview. In the old days of mailing in forms most corrections were made at interview. Obviously a disqualifiable mistake can't be fixed either way.
People may prefer to have the DS correct at interview and not correct there but it's up to them. Obviously arriving with a pile of corrections looks bad.