• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Regarding your passport, if you had mentioned the expiration issue back in February before sending it off for renewal, I would have suggested to hold off until after your IL. While it's a good idea to always attend the interview with a valid passport, I'm not aware of an IO making an issue of a currently expired passport. Yes, the IOs typically ask to see one's passport for ID confirmation, not much thought is given to the date, especially since they don't often practice stamping the passport on the spot for approved cases again.

Hi @Sm1smom, thank you for your help!

From what I understand, you are assuming I sent my old passport off and don't have any document right now, but I do have my soon-to-be-expired passport in my possession, since they allowed me to keep it. I'm not sure if I'm getting the new one by then, but I can show them the original (albeit one which expired 15 days before the interview). So, that should be OK with them?

Hi @Sm1smom, thank you for your help!

From what I understand, you are assuming I sent my old passport off and don't have any document right now, but I do have my soon-to-be-expired passport in my possession, since they allowed me to keep it. I'm not sure if I'm getting the new one by then, but I can show them the original (albeit one which expired 15 days before the interview). So, that should be OK with them?

Oh girl! Yeah, I assumed you had to send in your current passport. Just present it in that case, if the new one hasn't been received when you go for your interview.

As you are looking for additional opinions: in view of the end May/beginning June time frame of any switch and the subsequent US Consulate backlog in Nepal you would presumably be facing with CP, I personally would stay the course and see AOS through, as originally planned. Of course there is a risk either way - what is Britsimon's latest forecast for Nepal CN's?

I also wanted to add that I noticed somewhere else in the Forum @Sm1smom posted this (apologies if it's attributed wrongly, I couldn't find the original post, but had saved this for my reference) -
DS-260 backlog doesn't quite have any effect on AOS processing, so I don't think it's anything for you to worry about, but if you wish to switch to CP, then you need to inform KCC right away as they need to carry out the necessary background check prior to scheduling a CP interview. Unfortunately, I can't tell you whether you should stick with AOS or switch to CP, that's a decision you have to make on your own.

So seems like backlog won't be a problem but potentially the background check? But that shouldn't take that long right? So is it not really a question of time but rather a question of deciding which logistics/process is more appropriate for me (with the associated risks in mind)? What's your opinion Mom?

I also wanted to add that I noticed somewhere else in the Forum @Sm1smom posted this (apologies if it's attributed wrongly, I couldn't find the original post, but had saved this for my reference) -

So seems like backlog won't be a problem but potentially the background check? But that shouldn't take that long right? So is it not really a question of time but rather a question of deciding which logistics/process is more appropriate for me (with the associated risks in mind)? What's your opinion Mom?

You're misinterpreting/misunderstanding/misapplying that post of mine which you've quoted. Notice the first sentence -"DS-260 backlog doesn't quite have any effect on AOS processing"? Emphasis being on AOS processing in view of the fact that KCC does absolutely no processing or initial background checks on AOS cases. Not the same with CP. Once KCC is aware of a selectee's decision to process AOS, they will not do anything again with the case file except forward it to the FO when requested. If you now decide to switch to CP, it's like KCC receiving your DS260 form for the very first time. They now have to process and conduct the initial background check, and the backlog issue is still applicable in this case.

For CP cases, DS260 processing has been taking several months, and has come down to 2 to 3 months. However, for AoS people seem to get their KCC acceptance very fast and it seems that there is less processing done for AoS cases. It may be that certain background checks are not performed when the case is already in the USA. One of my warnings to you on my blog was that switching to CP at this point might require that additional background checking - and there may not be time to do that given that we are in mid/late May.

Honestly I don't think switching to CP is a good idea for that basis.

It is true that Nepal embassy are very likely to approve any case they see. But likewise denials of AoS cases using the Mom method are pretty few and far between (I don't think I can remember one).

Finally about cutoffs. Nepal will get cutoff for sure and that cutoff will hit some time in September. KDU embassy will be acutely aware of that cutoff and in the past we have even seen scenarios where booked appointments were cancelled because a country limit had been hit. Nepal embassy will have no choice but to enforce that. I have speculated that an AoS case may not be subject to such tight control because the FO at some point has to check a system called IVAMSweb to check that visas are available. I can imagine that for AoS they might not have the same access to the region specific and country data - which could then lead to a Nepal case getting a visa when Nepal embassy is not able to issue any more visas. That is speculation - just a hunch - but again, if it were my case I would stick with AoS.

You're misinterpreting/misunderstanding/misapplying that post of mine which you've quoted. Notice the first sentence -"DS-260 backlog doesn't quite have any effect on AOS processing"? Emphasis being on AOS processing in view of the fact that KCC does absolutely no processing or initial background checks on AOS cases. Not the same with CP. Once KCC is aware of a selectee's decision to process AOS, they will not do anything again with the case file except forward it to the FO when requested. If you now decide to switch to CP, it's like KCC receiving your DS260 form for the very first time. They now have to process and conduct the initial background check, and the backlog issue is still applicable in this case.

Agreed.

Your main concern at this stage really shouldn't be about whether your case file has been sent by KCC or not. Schedule an INFOPASS to nudge your FO into issuing your IL.
I went for an infopass last week. The IO did not even know what a DV case is!! It was such a disappointment:(

I always thought that FO cannot schedule IL until they recieve the file from KCC, am I wrong?

I went for an infopass last week. The IO did not even know what a DV case is!! It was such a disappointment:(

I always thought that FO cannot schedule IL until they recieve the file from KCC, am I wrong?

How unfortunate, you could have requested to speak with a supervisor though if you weren't satisfied with their response. Anyway, I would suggest you schedule another one for about 3 week's time just in case the IL still hasn't shown up by then.

FOs can schedule interview appointments prior to the KCC file receipt, and they've done so for some cases in the past. Although the ideal situation anyone would want is for the case file to have been received prior to the interview.

How unfortunate, you could have requested to speak with a supervisor though if you weren't satisfied with their response. Anyway, I would suggest you schedule another one for about 3 week's time just in case the IL still hasn't shown up by then.

FOs can schedule interview appointments prior to the KCC file receipt, and they've done so for some cases in the past. Although the ideal situation anyone would want is for the case file to have been received prior to the interview.
Thanks Mom! Will get an infopass now :)

Just another question. Should background checks be done before the interview?

Thanks Mom! Will get an infopass now :)

Just another question. Should background checks be done before the interview?

Background checks get initiated following the bio appointment. In most cases, it is completed before the interview, in a few cases where additional checks may be required, it's possible for the outcome to still be pending by the time of the interview in which case a final decision will not be made at the end of the interview until the background check clears.

In my case, I phoned the KCC and they told me that they sent my file to the FO two days after my interview. So here's at least one instance in which the interview was scheduled long before KCC sent the case file, though I don't know how common that is.

Hello @Sm1smom
I have question,
In my interview letter in required documents part they are asking for " Educational records to meet education requirements " . What document is it? What should I bring them?
thanks in advance

For CP cases, DS260 processing has been taking several months, and has come down to 2 to 3 months. However, for AoS people seem to get their KCC acceptance very fast and it seems that there is less processing done for AoS cases. It may be that certain background checks are not performed when the case is already in the USA. One of my warnings to you on my blog was that switching to CP at this point might require that additional background checking - and there may not be time to do that given that we are in mid/late May.

It is true that Nepal embassy are very likely to approve any case they see. But likewise denials of AoS cases using the Mom method are pretty few and far between (I don't think I can remember one).

Finally about cutoffs. Nepal will get cutoff for sure and that cutoff will hit some time in September. KDU embassy will be acutely aware of that cutoff and in the past we have even seen scenarios where booked appointments were cancelled because a country limit had been hit. Nepal embassy will have no choice but to enforce that. I have speculated that an AoS case may not be subject to such tight control because the FO at some point has to check a system called IVAMSweb to check that visas are available. I can imagine that for AoS they might not have the same access to the region specific and country data - which could then lead to a Nepal case getting a visa when Nepal embassy is not able to issue any more visas. That is speculation - just a hunch - but again, if it were my case I would stick with AoS.
I agree with this. A possible switch to CP at this stage would simply introduce additional risk, as compared to slightly uncertain AOS outcome simply due to the relatively high CN from Nepal. Hence CP, in this case, would not help to improve this specific picture now, last but not least due to the extremely late decision point.

Last edited:

Thanks a tonne! So seems like I got the attribution correct but the application wrong. So many subtle points to think about and grasp. If it weren't for you folks here, I'm sure many of us would've been lost in the darkness.

Thanks a lot again. I hadn't considered all these points before. Based on the points you've made along with @Sm1smom and @EURO2014, I feel very strongly now that I must stick with AOS. Part of my reasoning was that the apparent simplicity of the CP process, which isn't that simple if we're considering all these things. I might not be put on additional background check, but then I might, who knows - I do research in University, which I've heard leads to additional background check sometimes. The visa running out part is key (again something I'd not thought of) - I'd be in a pretty tricky spot if I go to Nepal for an interview and then it got cancelled.

I guess part of me really wants to go to Nepal at the moment (I've not been for more than a year now, and specially more so now given current circumstances - about which BTW people in this forum have been very kind, thoughtful and considerate about, which I'm sure all Nepalese folks appreciate quite a lot). But I shouldn't be making critical decisions based on emotions, haha.

Thanks a lot everyone. I'll stick with AOS and embrace the storm :)

Hello @Sm1smom
I have question,
In my interview letter in required documents part they are asking for " Educational records to meet education requirements " . What document is it? What should I bring them?
thanks in advance

You should bring proof that you've passed high school level (12th grade equivalent) of education - hence your high school diploma. You can bring additional degrees if you like but the high school diploma is a must.

Hello @Sm1smom
I have question,
thanks in advance

Remember these conversations we had a while back?

Hello @Sm1smom
In the package it says high school certificate,
I do not have it with me in USA. I included my BS degree diploma and MS degree diploma will they be enough? Or do I have to include it?

For now, not having the high school Diploma to include with the package is okay. However, you want to make sure you send for it and have it with you for your interview.

The educational records will include the original copies of your HS Diploma, BS and MS Diplomas also.

The educational records will include the original copies of your HS Diploma, BS and MS Diplomas also.
thank you for clarification, I thought it was a document from current degree saying that I am in good standing . Thanks again.

Hi mom, I don't have HS diploma but I have both BS and MS degree from universities in the US. What do you think my chances are? Thanks!!

thank you for clarification, I thought it was a document from current degree saying that I am in good standing . Thanks again.

Yes, in addition to those Diplomas, you should still take along evidence of being in 'good standing', could be evidence of your current registration/enrollment verification to prove you're still maintaining status.