• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Hey guys,

Im in a unique situation here and would require some advice

My CN number 2015 AS 4XXX

That being said, I am currently current(March) but I submitted my DS260(CP) 2 weeks ago(Personal reasons) and due to the backlog, my interview will be pushed to around July (estimated, may or may not be earilier)

I however got an offer to attend summer school(June-July) at UCLA but this will require me to have an I20/F1 Visa
I will require to obtain and submit proof of a visa in order to confirm my acceptance into UCLA (probably by march)

Im abit stuck here

Should i email UCIS to open my DS260
Then file for a I20/F1
Upon arriving in Usa(Late May), submit my DS260 requesting for AOS?

Or should i email UCIS now to have them change it to AOS?(Excel says that AOS is 1-3 mths late?)

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Im in a unique situation here and would require some advice

My CN number 2015 AS 4XXX

That being said, I am currently current(March) but I submitted my DS260(CP) 2 weeks ago(Personal reasons) and due to the backlog, my interview will be pushed to around July (estimated, may or may not be earilier)

I however got an offer to attend summer school(June-July) at UCLA but this will require me to have an I20/F1 Visa
I will require to obtain and submit proof of a visa in order to confirm my acceptance into UCLA (probably by march)

Im abit stuck here

Should i email UCIS to open my DS260
Then file for a I20/F1
Upon arriving in Usa(Late May), submit my DS260 requesting for AOS?

Or should i email UCIS now to have them change it to AOS?(Excel says that AOS is 1-3 mths late?)

Thanks

Unlocking your DS260 form now prior to attending a F1 interview isn't going to make much of a difference on that petition AFAIK. You've already signified an immigrant intent, the embassy will always be able to see that regardless of whether you go back and unlock the form or not. No I suggest you leave it as it is, attend the F1 visa interview and hope you're approved for it. Unlocking the form prior to attend the F1 visa interview will also signify an intention to adjust status upon arrival in the US which is not allowed.

Making a switch to AOS now followed by a F1 visa interview will most likely lead to the F1 petition being denied. When you attend a F1 interview, you're telling them you have no immigrant intent and will definitely be returning to your home country at the end of your studies, meanwhile you've already demonstrated an immigrant intent with the DS-260 submission. See the contradictions here???

By the way, AOS is not 1-3 months late according to the spreadsheet, it simply says AOS processing could be anywhere between 1-3 months.

Unlocking your DS260 form now prior to attending a F1 interview isn't going to make much of a difference on that petition AFAIK. You've already signified an immigrant intent, the embassy will always be able to see that regardless of whether you go back and unlock the form or not. No I suggest you leave it as it is, attend the F1 visa interview and hope you're approved for it. Unlocking the form prior to attend the F1 visa interview will also signify an intention to adjust status upon arrival in the US which is not allowed.

Making a switch to AOS now followed by a F1 visa interview will most likely lead to the F1 petition being denied. When you attend a F1 interview, you're telling them you have no immigrant intent and will definitely be returning to your home country at the end of your studies, meanwhile you've already demonstrated an immigrant intent with the DS-260 submission. See the contradictions here???

By the way, AOS is not 1-3 months late according to the spreadsheet, it simply says AOS processing could be anywhere between 1-3 months.

Hi Mom, thanks for the advise

Based on what you have said, my course of action now would simply to be to file for my F1 which i should receive by March
Following which i will fly to the USA in late MAY and then request for a change to AOS?

What if i were to receive my CP 2NL early?
This was why i was thinking of unlocking my DS260

Hi

I have an infopass for tomorrow according to KCC my case was sent on Dec 31st ( i checked with them few times) but as of today didn't receive IL.
What should I ask the FO i don't want to waste my infopass was very hard to schedule it?

Little background
I did my biometric on Oct 2 and on December 16 I opened case via uscis with local FO on Jan 6th received very general answer from them
"Your petition/application is still pending consideration. We regret that we are not able to give you a timeframe for when we will complete the review of your petition/application."

Thanks

Based on what you have said, my course of action now would simply to be to file for my F1 which i should receive by March
Following which i will fly to the USA in late MAY and then request for a change to AOS?

Where that to happen, I suppose that would mean flying back to complete CP. Although others have suggested unlocking the form could possibly delay being scheduled for an interview, I'm not aware of any specific case where that has actually happened. I also know I've seen official documents where it clearly states unlocking the form will not cause an interview delay, the case will be scheduled once the CN is current and KCC is done processing.

You also need to bear in mind that the possibility of being approved for a F1 visa in your case is actually very slim!

[

I agree with mom it sounds like chances of F1 being approved are very slim. Tell me, if CO asks you outright if you will change to AOS if you get the visa, will you be honest or lie?

I think your best bet is to go for the DV visa and defer your summer school to next year...

Praise God! We had our interview this morning at the Newark, NJ FO. We were scheduled at 10:00 am so we left the house at 8:20 to give ourselves enough time. We are 30 mins from the field office but it's a good thing we left early because the lines (outside in bitter 25F) and security checks literally took 45 mins. We arrived at the reception desk for the interviews at 9:55 and waited until about 10:45 to be called in. The Immigration officer was VERY serious and a tad cold. Asked us to take the oath, then asked for ID, original birth & marriage certificates. Then receipt of DV fee. Asked my husband if he was the one selected. What his education level was, asked to see the original of his high school diploma and all related certifications/translations. Asked for both of our pay stubs. She wanted to know our last entry into the US and got a little confused as to how I was here for so long before my husband came, on what status? so I explained that my husband came here to join me, not the other way around like she assumed. She asked if I was still on the G4 visa. Then she asked for proof of our marriage, joint statements, etc. Which we didn't have (we don't have joint stuff) but I had pictures and an album of our last vacation to Dubai, so she reviewed those. And then said ok, so I think I have everything, but before I make a decision I have to review everything. It will most likely get approved but I need to review things first. So I asked her if she had everything she needed from us, KCC, etc. She said yes I have everything. I asked if she was going to reserve the visas from IVAMSweb today (Thanks @Britsimon!). She seemed to not get what I was saying, so I said you know the DV visas run out after a certain time…She said, don't worry I already have your visas. I said ok then. ONLY then did she smile for the first time and said, you guys applied so early though!!! I said well since the Policy Memo allowed for it, we figured let's just get it done. My husband then said plus we want to travel, LOL (which I found so funny, I don't know where that came from, I guess he was trying to help :rolleyes:). Then the IO said we would hear back in a few weeks, at most a month. I asked if I could contact her if we do not hear back from her in a month, and she said you can come back here then, but make an appointment for it first online…I said oh you mean an info pass, she said yes. We thanked her for her time, wished her a good day and off we went. I was a bit disappointed and puzzled about her "it will take a few weeks statement, but apparently it was all a BLUFF on her part cause 45 mins later, just as we were arriving home we got the card production messages!!! YES!!!!!! I want to take this opportunity to say:
There is NO WAY I could have done this without @Sm1smom guidance & work on this forum. Simply, No way. And the most sincere thank you does not even begin to express how grateful and appreciative I am to you Mom. I hope that in your quiet and reflective moments, you realize and find deep satisfaction in the fact that you are single handedly impacting the lives of so many for the better. Not only for us applicants but think about the ripple effect on our kids, and their future kids…etc. May you be abundantly blessed & rewarded for it all. Thank you once again so so so much!
@Britsimon I am also so very grateful and appreciative of your kindness, generosity and guidance. Thanks for all your help and advice as well. You are a great guy! And a very smart one too…After Mom, you are my favorite person here, LOL. Thank you :D

Best wishes to everyone who is yet to interview. I am gonna stick around so feel free to PM me if you want more info.

To God be the Glory :).

Praise God! We had our interview this morning at the Newark, NJ FO. We were scheduled at 10:00 am so we left the house at 8:20 to give ourselves enough time. We are 30 mins from the field office but it's a good thing we left early because the lines (outside in bitter 25F) and security checks literally took 45 mins. We arrived at the reception desk for the interviews at 9:55 and waited until about 10:45 to be called in. The Immigration officer was VERY serious and a tad cold. Asked us to take the oath, then asked for ID, original birth & marriage certificates. Then receipt of DV fee. Asked my husband if he was the one selected. What his education level was, asked to see the original of his high school diploma and all related certifications/translations. Asked for both of our pay stubs. She wanted to know our last entry into the US and got a little confused as to how I was here for so long before my husband came, on what status? so I explained that my husband came here to join me, not the other way around like she assumed. She asked if I was still on the G4 visa. Then she asked for proof of our marriage, joint statements, etc. Which we didn't have (we don't have joint stuff) but I had pictures and an album of our last vacation to Dubai, so she reviewed those. And then said ok, so I think I have everything, but before I make a decision I have to review everything. It will most likely get approved but I need to review things first. So I asked her if she had everything she needed from us, KCC, etc. She said yes I have everything. I asked if she was going to reserve the visas from IVAMSweb today (Thanks @Britsimon!). She seemed to not get what I was saying, so I said you know the DV visas run out after a certain time…She said, don't worry I already have your visas. I said ok then. ONLY then did she smile for the first time and said, you guys applied so early though!!! I said well since the Policy Memo allowed for it, we figured let's just get it done. My husband then said plus we want to travel, LOL (which I found so funny, I don't know where that came from, I guess he was trying to help :rolleyes:). Then the IO said we would hear back in a few weeks, at most a month. I asked if I could contact her if we do not hear back from her in a month, and she said you can come back here then, but make an appointment for it first online…I said oh you mean an info pass, she said yes. We thanked her for her time, wished her a good day and off we went. I was a bit disappointed and puzzled about her "it will take a few weeks statement, but apparently it was all a BLUFF on her part cause 45 mins later, just as we were arriving home we got the card production messages!!! YES!!!!!! I want to take this opportunity to say:
There is NO WAY I could have done this without @Sm1smom guidance & work on this forum. Simply, No way. And the most sincere thank you does not even begin to express how grateful and appreciative I am to you Mom. I hope that in your quiet and reflective moments, you realize and find deep satisfaction in the fact that you are single handedly impacting the lives of so many for the better. Not only for us applicants but think about the ripple effect on our kids, and their future kids…etc. May you be abundantly blessed & rewarded for it all. Thank you once again so so so much!
@Britsimon I am also so very grateful and appreciative of your kindness, generosity and guidance. Thanks for all your help and advice as well. You are a great guy! And a very smart one too…After Mom, you are my favorite person here, LOL. Thank you :D

Best wishes to everyone who is yet to interview. I am gonna stick around so feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Congratulations!!! Really happy for you and your family :) At last you can move forward with work and travel without any more visa restrictions!

@faith100 - Thanks for sharing your experience with infopass!! This is great the way you handled it! I wonder what option should I select for an infopass appointment from their web-portal menu? Shall I choose "You need Service on a case that has already been filed" or shall I select "You need information or other services"?
Select "You need Service on a case that has already been filed". I don't it matters that much.

Congraaaattttssssss :) I am glad to hear that your interview went well and better than that you received your card production notice. That's awesome. Wish you the best in your life.
It was a great news for me that KCC has actually sent our files. So, I should expect to receive our CPO soon. Please pray for me :)

I'm preparing myself for my interview later this month. If my application is approved, would I have to leave my passport with the IO for insertion of a Diversity Visa, or does this apply only in the case of CP? And would my F1 visa be cancelled by the IO at that point?
Good luck with the interview! Let us know how it goes :)

BRAVO!!!

Congratulations!!! Really happy for you and your family :) At last you can move forward with work and travel without any more visa restrictions!
Thanks. And as you were expressing interest in questions asked, I just remembered in addition to what I posted above, we were asked the list of I 485 questions (yes or nos). Asked if we had children. Husband was asked to describe his current work and while reviewing our pay stubs she asked how frequently we were getting paid. That's it I think. hope this helps

Congrats, job well done ;)

Hello @Sm1smom
In the package it says high school certificate,
I do not have it with me in USA. I included my BS degree diploma and MS degree diploma will they be enough? Or do I have to include it?
and what is
i-797 ? where should I find it?
Thanks
sorry for annoying questions

Hello @Sm1smom
In the package it says high school certificate,
I do not have it with me in USA. I included my BS degree diploma and MS degree diploma will they be enough? Or do I have to include it?
and what is
i-797 ? where should I find it?
Thanks
sorry for annoying questions

For now, not having the high school Diploma to include with the package is okay. However, you want to make sure you send for it and have it with you for your interview.

Don't worry about the I-797, it's not applicable to you since you haven't previously adjusted or changed status since coming into the U.S.

Hi, I am AS 67**. Likely, I will be current around June. I have already filed the DS260 and received the letter- intent to do AOS. So, I am just making sure if there is anything else that I should be doing apart from waiting to apply around April/MAy ? When do you think will be a good time to send the 330$ DV fee?

It's been 90 days since I submitted the I-485 and no sign of the IL..FO is NYC, from last year's thread I have seen that almost all those who were dealing with this FO really had a tough time..should I start to worry/go for info pass etc? Or just wait it out for bit longer?

I do know that KCC have not yet submitted my file to the FO and I have called a few times to find out if they have done so, to which the answer is still no and I can call back in a week to see if that has changed..I know we still have time at this point but I am more concerned with the NYC FO not doing anything with my file for ages, given the experiences of those from last year, and trying to see if I can be proactive at all.