• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Hello ,
I would like to apply for AOS. what does pay Stubs and W2 mean. I am in F1 visa for five year and never work. Do I have to submit pay stubs and W2. If so where can I get these. Thanks

You wouldn't have a pay stub or W-2 if you've never worked. However, my guess is you will need to submit an I-134, so whoever is filing that out for you will need to provide you with copies of their pay stubs or W-2. Pay stub (otherwise known as pay slip) is the document an employer provides at the end of each pay period which shows how much an employee has earned and how much is being withheld for tax purpose. W-2 is a one year summary of an employee's pay stub - it's also issued by the employer.

It's okay to include the memo, however it's not a guarantee USCIS wouldn't act otherwise. It's okay to file 2 months early just like the memo states, but also bear in mind the possibility of the package been rejected or denied due to early filing. A few FOs are still denying cases, unfortunately due to early filing, regardless of what the memo says. If this happens, don't panic, you'll just have to re-file the case.
In case of rejection, you send the file again with another fees? If so I would wait until July 1st.

In case of rejection, you send the file again with another fees? If so I would wait until July 1st.

Yes, regarding the fee.

Your call regarding waiting until July 1st, and hope they approve your case by September 30th, because if it hasn't been approved by the end of the Fiscal Year (Sept. 30th), that is the end of the case. You will end without a GC, and you will still loose the money. I know it's a lot of money for a family of 4, but you decide which risk you're willing to face.

Yes, regarding the fee.

Your call regarding waiting until July 1st, and hope they approve your case by September 30th, because if it hasn't been approved by the end of the Fiscal Year (Sept. 30th), that is the end of the case. You will end without a GC, and you will still loose the money. I know it's a lot of money for a family of 4, but you decide which risk you're willing to face.

Sometimes you read posts like this and you think that even Kafka would be shocked by this process! What a bureaucratic nightmare. They may as well get us to play Russian roulette and give Green Cards to the survivors... And we're the LUCKY ones in this whole story, we won! I shudder to think what it'd be like otherwise... All my sympathy to Sam2015 - it's a tough choice :-(

INFOPASS tomorrow (thanks to Mom for the tips!). Wish me luck - I'll update everyone with the no-doubt gloomy news after...

Last edited:
Sometimes you read posts like this and you think that even Kafka would be shocked by this process! What a bureaucratic nightmare. They may as well get us to play Russian roulette and give Green Cards to the survivors... And we're the LUCKY ones in this whole story, we won!

That's a bit unfair. Without a bureaucracy and a system there would just be chaos.

Sometimes you read posts like this and you think that even Kafka would be shocked by this process! What a bureaucratic nightmare. They may as well get us to play Russian roulette and give Green Cards to the survivors... And we're the LUCKY ones in this whole story, we won! I shudder to think what it'd be like otherwise... All my sympathy to Sam2015 - it's a tough choice :-(

INFOPASS tomorrow (thanks to Mom for the tips!). Wish me luck - I'll update everyone with the no-doubt gloomy news after...

Oh well. It is what it is, unfortunately. But the truth is getting a GC through the DV lottery is still the fastest, cheapest, and less stressful option/process compared to what others go through.

I received the AOS receipt it's with PAID stamp . It's the same one I sent.
They wrote some numbers in top of the page, I don't know what is this.

Hello Mom

I am F-2 visa holder and from Iran. My husband(F-1) won DV with CN AS807x .Brit told me we are going to be current for Aug, hopefully. (Many thanks to him).

Please tell me straight, if we use Memo and early filing, how strong chance do we have?
We are very nervous :(
Thank you!

Mom, Simon, and everyone else who helped me through this process! THANK YOU! I received my GC on Saturday! I was clueless at the beginning but Mom's legendary spreadsheet saved me lots of $$$ and time. Good luck to all who are still waiting.

Hello Mom

I am F-2 visa holder and from Iran. My husband(F-1) won DV with CN AS807x .Brit told me we are going to be current for Aug, hopefully. (Many thanks to him).

Please tell me straight, if we use Memo and early filing, how strong chance do we have?
Thank you!

Hello!

We're all on the same boat :)

@Britsimon does region specific analysis in his blog here: http://britsimonsays.com/

There's plenty of Iran-specific information there as well.

Mom, Simon, and everyone else who helped me through this process! THANK YOU! I received my GC on Saturday! I was clueless at the beginning but Mom's legendary spreadsheet saved me lots of $$$ and time. Good luck to all who are still waiting.

Fantastic news! Congratulations and enjoying your new "green" status :D

Hello Mom

Thank you!

Unfortunately, I cannot categorically tell you how strong or weak of a chance you have, that's to be determined by USCIS. Everyone files early on the basis of the memo which now allows for a 60 day early filing grace, which unfortunately some FOs are still not recognizing or abiding by. Plus there's the fact that you guys are Iranians, not sure how quickly you're likely to clear background checks.

Unfortunately, I cannot categorically tell you how strong or weak of a chance you have, that's to be determined by USCIS. Everyone files early on the basis of the memo which now allows for a 60 day early filing grace, which unfortunately some FOs are still not recognizing or abiding by. Plus there's the fact that you guys are Iranians, not sure how quickly you're likely to clear background checks.
thank you mom. We try to do our best, and then see what happen...

Hello All,

I'm getting super stressed out at this point. My CN number is AS75** and I'm from Nepal. I'm wondering if it is logical to switch to CP at this point (given the cut-off situation of Nepal). I've talked to @Britsimon and he seems to think it might not be a good idea. Wanted to see what the general consensus on this is(not to discount Simon's opinion, but just trying to talk to a few more people).

How long does it take to switch to CP? The CP process itself seems pretty straightforward and I've always had an straightforward and positive experience at Kathmandu's US embassy. So that's the positive. The negative is that if somehow, something goes wrong, I'm worried that I can't come back to the US since I'm on F1 visa.

As for AoS - I've checked the AoS timeline of this year and previous years. Some FOs seem really efficient and there seems to be as little as 8 days between biometrics and the interview letter. However, in the worst case its taken months, which makes me nervous. However I do believe that filing my AoS documents on time, not making mistakes and being proactive about the whole process (infopass, etc) should give me some chance even if I'm current in September. Like its been mentioned several times here, I also noticed people who were current on Septemeber make it through successfully.

Nerve-wrecking but still hopeful.

best regards!

Had the infopass today I arrived 15 minutes early, and they finally saw me 1 hour 15 minutes later. The officer basically told me that my case was within normal processing time and that I should wait, exactly as predicted by Mom (no surprises there :) )

It's pretty clear to me that the RFE is what really delayed the case. The RFE was due on May 28th (even though it was issued on April 3rd) and she said the file would basically stay on the supervisor's desk until that date, at which point it would be assigned to an officer.

This is a cautionary tale to anyone considering hiring a lawyer, I suppose - the lawyer made a mistake in filing my file without financial information, and I hadn't found this forum at the time, so I didn't know to correct him. If I'd found it and just followed the instructions on here, I'd have saved thousands of dollars and perhaps already have a GC. I'm lucky that I was current in October and that I therefore have some time to spare...

Will keep y'all updated.

PS: In regard to the bureaucracy discussion, I wasn't railing against the bureaucracy itself - just the inconsistencies (for eg FOs not accepting the memo). But I'll be the first to admit that I've been incredibly lucky all my life - I've moved around various countries in the EU and always had a right to live and work everywhere because of my EU passport. So it's just a culture shock to suddenly have to go through an arduous process to be allowed to live and work somewhere I've considered my home for the last 5 years. But of course I realize a bureaucracy is necessary and that I'm incredibly lucky to be in the position I'm in; and I'd never forget it for a second!

PS: In regard to the bureaucracy discussion, I wasn't railing against the bureaucracy itself - just the inconsistencies (for eg FOs not accepting the memo). But I'll be the first to admit that I've been incredibly lucky all my life - I've moved around various countries in the EU and always had a right to live and work everywhere because of my EU passport. So it's just a culture shock to suddenly have to go through an arduous process to be allowed to live and work somewhere I've considered my home for the last 5 years. But of course I realize a bureaucracy is necessary and that I'm incredibly lucky to be in the position I'm in; and I'd never forget it for a second!

That's quite funny, because as someone who used to have to get visas for both the US and the EU, I can tell you without doubt that for a foreigner the EU bureaucracy is way, way worse than anything the US can throw at you...