Anyonw waiting for 485 approval in Atlanta

WaitingTo and Kiska:

Please call the FBI folks and leave a message, i am sure they will return your calls back. Atlanta office has been pretty good so far and waiting, it has been a month for you, i guess like Dukhi mentioned 5 weeks is a good time. Kiska, yours is way too long. I think you should check or write to them.

WaitingTo and Kiska,

Here is fax no and email id to check you Name check status with FBI.

Fax no :(202)324-3367 or email to fbinncp@ic.fbi.gov

I heard they discontinued phone service, so either you have to fax or send an email. They will take 4 to 5 weeks to respond. I faxed it one week back, still waiting to get there response. Just waiting to get over all these hurdles. Hope we all get approved soon.

Dear Waiting to,

I have called the FBI. My husband's fingerprints cleared on May 13,2004, two days after he had them taken.

we had our AOS interview on June 28, 2004. Still not approved, as waiting for another security clearance. We assume it is the name check.

I have made inquiries as well as written to my congressmen as to the status of our case. We are still waiting as usual.

We filed over three years ago. We believe our application literally sat on a shelf for 3 years before anyone got to it as the immigration officer appeared as if he was looking at it for the first time during our AOS interview.

We are approaching our 4th wedding anniversary, and my husband is now waiting on his 4th EAD. I don't know of anyone but Maria24 who has had such a wait. THe Charleston, SC is very very slow.

Could it be his country of origin? The backlog? Human error? We are just dumbfounded.

Please, share any insight you may have.

Thank you
Kiska

WaitingAOS and Dukhi, thank you very much for your concern and the fax number. I will try to fax them later.

One of my friend told me that if we messed up with the date they set up for us to do the fingerprint, we will not be on the right schedule. She told me that's what her lawyer told her. She thought that probably why I had finger print done one month already and I am still waiting for it. Anyway, who knows what the real reason. But better go with the date they set up for you for other people who haven't done it.

I am going to have AOS interview on Oct 6th. When the officer asks for I-94
do I have to submit all I-94's or the latest one?

Kiska,

I am not from some special area and I have married over 4 years now but I am still waiting. So you really don't know why someone or someplaces faster than others. We really don't have choices. Good Luck to your family!

Looks like people who attended AOS interview recently did not get stamped because of security reasons, right?

IT's not true that people who have gone for AOS interview recently were not stamp due to security reasons. I went for mine AOS interview just last month and come out within 20-30mins with stamp. The only advice i can offer is that stay cool and go with as many documents as possible. Make sure your USC knows something about your family especially your mum, dad sis. 'n' broth.

Waitingto,

I am also not from special registration country, for name check they have lot of backlog, i guess that is the reason it is getting delayed. As you mentioned we did our FP before the actual date, that is the reason it all got messed up. I think it is not true. I have seen half of the people do the FP before the actual date. I am not sure it is true or not, BCIS initiate the Name check when they send our FP notices. Other than Atlanta filers, they get there FP notices well in advance, may be 6 months to one year before they look into there files. By that time there all checks will be done. Since we got our FP at last moment, they would not have got our Name check results. FP results will come in one or two days but name check will take more time. You can find more info on name check here.

http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congres...rrity022504.htm

Friday Born,

I understand approval notices may be issued weeks sometimes even months after an interiview. With this notice, you may go and get your passport stamped.

The answer that was given after my congressional inquiry: one of my husband's security clearances has yet to pass and this is three months after our interview.

Documentation was not a problem in our case. We had more than what was required from our 3 1/2 years of marriage and a 7 year relationship before that. In addition, our 7 month old daughter was in the waiting area with my mother during our 30 minute interview. Yes, of course, we were nervous. When you wait for something as long as we have, the anticipation has had a lot of time to build.

As I have previously posted, we believe our interview was the first time our application had been read and it was as if we had just applied that day.

My question is for anyone else who has applied to the Charleston, SC office. Do you find yourselves still waiting??

Kiska

I totally agree with Kiska. In our case also there was no problem with documents. Officer herself told, everything looks good, as soon soon as they get name check results they will mail the letter. Last month who went for interview in atlanta most of them got approved. Only this month i have seen many people, WaitingTo, DaveH, myself...did not get approved because pending name check results.

http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress04/garrity022504.htm

FBI Name Check Process

The FBI receives information on the applicants from the Department of State via computer disc, cable, or manual (facsimile) submissions. The requests are entered into the FBI's National Name Check Program (NNCP). The information is searched against the FBI Universal Indices (UNI). The searches seek all instances of the individual's name and approximate date of birth, whether a main file name or reference. By way of explanation, a main file name is that of an individual who is the subject of an FBI investigation, whereas a reference is someone whose name appears in an FBI investigation. References may be associates, witnesses, co-conspirators, or victims whose names have been indexed for later retrieval. The names are searched in a multitude of combinations, switching the order of first, last, middle names, as well as combinations with just the first and last, first and middle, et cetera. It also searches different phonetic spelling variations of the names, especially important considering that many names in our indices have been transliterated from a language other than English.

If there is a match with a name in a FBI record, it is designated as a "Hit," meaning that the system has stopped on a possible match with the name being checked, but now a human being must review the file or index entry to further refine the names "Hit" upon. If the search develops a name and birth date match, it is designated an "Ident." An "Ident" is usually easier to resolve.

Approximately 85% of name checks are electronically returned to the Department of State as having "No Record" within 72 hours. A "No Record" indicates that the FBI's Central Records System contains no identifiable information regarding this individual. By agreement with the Department of State, partially due to our concern about the time factors in approving visa requests, a "No Record" equates to a "No Objection" to the issuance of a visa. The investigative divisions in the FBI, (i.e., the Counterterrorism Division, the Counterintelligence Division, the Criminal Investigative Division, and the Cyber Division) do not review visa requests where there is no record of the individual. Duplicate submissions (i.e., identically spelled names with identical dates of birth submitted within the last 120 days) are not checked and the duplicate findings are returned to State.

With the remaining 15% that were not immediately eliminated as a "No Record," because a name and birth date are not sufficient to positively correlate the file with an individual, additional review is required. A secondary manual name search usually identifies an additional 10% of the requests as also not being identical to an individual in our files, for a 95% overall "No Record" response rate. This is usually accomplished within a week of the request. The remaining 5% are identified as possibly being the subject of an FBI record. The FBI record must now be retrieved and reviewed. If the records were electronically uploaded into the FBI Automated Case Support (ACS) electronic record-keeping system, it can be viewed quickly. If not, the relevant information must be retrieved from the existing paper record. Review of this information will determine whether the information is identified with the subject of the request. If not, the request is closed as a "No Record."

The information in the file is reviewed for possible derogatory information. Less than 1% of the requests are identified with an individual with information that is derogatory or poses concern to the FBI about having access to sensitive or special U. S. technologies. These requests are forwarded to the appropriate FBI investigative division for further analysis. If the investigative division determines there is no objection to the visa request, the request is returned to the name check dissemination desk for forwarding to the Department of State. Results of the name check process are returned to the Department of State twice weekly by computer disc or telephonically in expedited requests.

If there is an objection to the visa request, the investigative division will prepare a written Security Advisory Opinion and forward it separately to the Department of State. In instances where the investigative division determines it appropriate, that individual will be placed on a watch list. In reviewing these visa requests, the FBI has, in the past, identified individuals attempting to enter the United States who are of serious concern to the FBI.

I want to emphasize to you that the FBI is sensitive to the impact that delays in visa processing of students and scholars may have on business, education, foreign relations, and worldwide perceptions of the United States. With these considerations in mind, the FBI is working diligently with the Department of State toward the common goal of improving the expediency and efficiency of the visa clearance process. At the same time, the consequences of the FBI’s mission on homeland security requires that our name check process be primarily focused on accurate and thorough results. This means that there are instances when the FBI’s review of a visa request must require as much time as needed to obtain an unequivocally correct result.

Processing Times

The FBI’s goal is to have all visa requests completed within 120 days. Attachment A illustrates the current status of how long it takes to complete Visas Mantis name checks. This status is current as of February 23, 2004. For Visas Mantis, the FBI received 1,522 requests in the month of January 2004 and by February 23 had resolved 1,334, or 88% of them. In the month of December 2003, the FBI received 1,446 Visas Mantis requests and by February 23 had resolved all but 130 of these requests for a 91% resolution rate. The percentages continue to rise over time, with 95% of Visas Mantis requests resolved within 90 days. Visas Mantis are particularly difficult to resolve due to the predominance of requests from China and the commonality of Asian names.

A common question we receive is, "How long does it take to complete a visa request name check?" As shown on the graph, 88% are completed in 30 days and 98% of the requests are resolved in 120 days. Most name check requests that are over 60 days old are the result of the time required to retrieve and review field office record information. Some delay occurs at substantive analysts’ desks, but this is to be expected. These analysts are assigned to an investigative division and are primarily assigned to the analysis of intelligence reports from around the world in order to support on-going investigations, or to support the flow of intelligence to policy makers. Despite these significant and voluminous responsibilities, these are the best professionals to review information in our records and to then make an informed decision on whether a requester of a visa represents a threat to our homeland, or is interested in illegally acquiring targeted U. S. special technology. You will understand, however, that with the press of other business, the reviews of visa requests do not always achieve the analysts' highest priority in their assigned work. I would add, in response to one of the questions posed in the invitation to testify before this Committee, that the investigative divisions believe the information found in the Visas Mantis requests they review is of use in their other responsibilities.

Dukhi,

Thank you so much for posting this information!! It certainly explains some things. But, I am still amazed that some centers are processing green cards in as little as 12 weeks!! :eek:

Kiska

Anyone interviewd with officer B , please post ur experience

Thanks
TD: 01/21/04
ID : 10/27/04
AD: ????????

FBI - Name Check and FP Processing -- are they done at the same time?

FBI name-check and FP Processing -- Are they done at the same time or, the two things are entirely separate? When the FBI informs that "results" have been dispatched to the INS, does that mean, it also includes the name-check as well, or just the FP?

I guess both are different. FP results will come within a day or two. But name check some time takes more time. I have seen many postings on Name check but nobody is sure when they initiate the name check. My guess is when they send the FP notices, they initiate the name check process too. May be that is reason Service center filers will have less problems with Name check since they get there FP well in advance as compared local INS filers, they get there FP just one or two weeks before the interview.

I got it!!!!!

I had my AOS interview today with Officer A. He was OK. very fast.
He asked my spouse some questions like "my DOB", parents name, marriage
date etc. He asked for Birth Certificate of my children, my Birth certificate, passport, all I-94s, all EADs, Bank statements, last three year tax returns, Affidavit of support, I-693, my spouse passport, certificate of citizenship etc.
He asked for two passport size photos. He put all copies in his file and gave
originals back. Then stamped on my passport and told me "Congratulations".
It took only 20 minutes. For those who are going for the interview, please make sure you have two passport size photographs. It is not in the checklist sent by INS.