Anyonw waiting for 485 approval in Atlanta

Waitingto,

I got response from FBI saying they have not received Name check request from BCIS. I have sent letter to BCIS, not sure when they will see the letter and when they will send the request. It is almost more than two months after the interview. First time in life felt so helpless, sad, can't do anything other than waiting.

Dukhi485, Witingto, WaitingAOS11, Congrats on your finals :) I want to ask you a very stupid newbie question.
I am not to that final point as you are guys. Just wanted to have a clue on that and what to expect in the future. I see you are all waiting for name check or FBI clearance after your interview.

The on-line msg for my 485 says: "On July 29, 2004, the results of your fingerprint review for your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status were received, and processing has resumed on your case. We will mail you a notice if further action is needed, or when a decision is made."

Does this mean that FBI clearance/name check is already done or this is completely different process that is conducted after the interview and FP before that has nothing to do with name check?

Thanks guys. And good luck to all of you.

Dukhi,

DO NOT GIVE UP!! NEVER GIVE UP!! Write INS and tell them that the FBI has not received the request. Write your congressman. Go to INS in person. Do whatever you have to do. Remember the power of the pen!!

There were so many times we felt helpless and forgotton, but we never ever gave up hope!! 5 letters to my congressman and senator, two letters to the FBI, three INS inquiries, and mulitple e-mails, phone calls, and personal visits later, my husband finally had his I-585 approval after 38 months of his receipt date. Now we are waiting for the plastic card, and I'll be right on top of that too.

Best of luck!

Kiska

Dukhi,
I am sorry to hear that sad news! That's the reason I finally sent email to FBI because I saw same thing happened to someone else at this site but in ifferent forum. I never thought about this will happen to you too. Yes, I totally understand your feeling and I am really feel that life just plays jokes on us. I do really hope you can get response from the INS soon and I am going to write to INS too.

Thank you very much for sharing the information and please do post any information you get from the INS or FBI. Best wish to you and all of us in the same boat!

Hi NBC_June04,

I am not sure what does it means but I guest it's only for background check not name check because I remember after I had finger print done , I went to web to check the status and saw the similar infor you see. That's just my guessing I would never know the truth.

Thanks Kiska for your support, i appreciate it. I have sent one more fax to FBI last week. I will keep writing to them.

NBCJune04 :You can ask any questions, people are nice here, they will answer. FP and Name checks are totally different. According to the message your FP is cleared. They are suppose to do the name check before the interview. You can send mail or fax to FBI to check up the status of your Name check.

Thank all of you for the suggestions. I assume then that FP has nothing to do with the name check after the interview.
I wish all of you happy end. You are almost there. :)

NBC June 04:

I think there is confusion in your posting. I will explain to you in detail. FP and Name checks are totally different, that is correct. Once you do your FP, results will go to BCIS in a day or two. They are valid for 15 months. If your 485 is not approved during that time you will have to redo the FP. Name check they do only one time during entire process. There is no expiry for Name check. I guess service center initiates your name check request once you file your 485 application. But i am not sure about local offices like Atlanta when they initiate the name check request. Name check process can take few days to few years. If your FP and Name checks are completed before you go for interview, if interview goes well they approve your case and stamp it same day, that is end of your GC journey. In our case FP was completed and but Name check was not completed, so they could not approve our case after the interview. Hope this clears your doubt.

Dukhi485filer said:
NBC June 04:

I think there is confusion in your posting. I will explain to you in detail. FP and Name checks are totally different, that is correct. Once you do your FP, results will go to BCIS in a day or two. They are valid for 15 months. If your 485 is not approved during that time you will have to redo the FP. Name check they do only one time during entire process. There is no expiry for Name check. I guess service center initiates your name check request once you file your 485 application. But i am not sure about local offices like Atlanta when they initiate the name check request. Name check process can take few days to few years. If your FP and Name checks are completed before you go for interview, if interview goes well they approve your case and stamp it same day, that is end of your GC journey. In our case FP was completed and but Name check was not completed, so they could not approve our case after the interview. Hope this clears your doubt.
Absolutely Dukhi485. I did had my FP reviewed a week after I had them in ASC (in July 2004). But I see now that name check is another story. I will see if it's completed on the interview date itself. I've read in another thread that it takes longer for certain nationalities, depends on from which country you originate. I dont have any interview welcome notice though. I am far behind that point. The only doc so far is the EAD (received in Oct2004). Waiting. Just wanted to make it clear for a future reference when my time comes.
Thanks again, man. Now I got it completely and unquestionably :)

Last edited by a moderator:
how long from file till approval

Hi everyone, I am waiting for I485 through employee based at CSC, it has been almost 3 years since 485(6 years counting from labor certificate filed), and it does not seem to come to an end in the near future. I have completely lost my faith there.

The question I have is how long does it take to file for marrige based here in Atlanta now days? I've been married w/ USC for years. Should have filed through marriage long time ago (evil company attoneys). Do we have pilot program here in Atlanta like Dallas? If it does not take very long, I'm thinking to refile here locally.

leeee said:
Hi everyone, I am waiting for I485 through employee based at CSC, it has been almost 3 years since 485(6 years counting from labor certificate filed), and it does not seem to come to an end in the near future. I have completely lost my faith there.

The question I have is how long does it take to file for marrige based here in Atlanta now days? I've been married w/ USC for years. Should have filed through marriage long time ago (evil company attoneys). Do we have pilot program here in Atlanta like Dallas? If it does not take very long, I'm thinking to refile here locally.
Looks like you have wasted many months not filing through marriage. Still you can do it. File it through your wife. You will be done in a year or so..
I don't know about pilot program in atlanta.

Thanks amishah for the reply.

I saw the 485 processing time in Atlanta is Aug 2002, but most of other areas like CA is May/June 2004. It seems Atlanta is one of the slowest area. But does it mean it really takes over 2 years? or people got approvaled a lot sooner than that?

leeee said:
Thanks amishah for the reply.

I saw the 485 processing time in Atlanta is Aug 2002, but most of other areas like CA is May/June 2004. It seems Atlanta is one of the slowest area. But does it mean it really takes over 2 years? or people got approvaled a lot sooner than that?

The processing time for I-485 at my DO is showing processing date as March, 2002. So mine is slower that yours. Its Memphis. But I think some DO just don't update the information regularly because my N-400 is in process and DO is showing processing time for June, 2003. But I filed im April, 2004 and I already got an interview letter. And marriage based is more secured than employment based. You don't have to worry if you want to change the job. And you will get EAD in 3 months so it really doesn't matter how long it takes to get actual card.

Anyone waiting for 485 approval in Atlanta

I have applied for my wife485 on 09/02/2003. In atlanta they are doing case from 2001. I have noticed in Houston the waiting time is 1 month. My brother live in Houston. Is thewre any way , we can file her petition in Houston ? :p

3 Months since interview

Hello All
I sent CIS the documents that they asked for about three weeks ago and have not heard from them yet. Does any body know how long they take before they respond. I had interview on September 14th and was told to send more documents within 90 days. Dukhi485Filer did u hear anything from them regarding your name check?

LordHaveMercy:

Still no news. Since it is a holiday season, we can't expect anything to happen this month. Most probably if we are lucky after Jan 15th we can expect some movement in our case. My interview was also on Sept 14th, proved unlucky for you as well as for me too.

Syed S:
You will have to transfer yoyr address to Houston and CIS will transfer your case there but a lot of times that leads to problems; your file might get lost or something. You have already waited more than a year so it will really not help you if you had your file transferred to Houston.

Good luck Dukhi. I know some people got their approval in about six months after the interview. They had similar cases. If you persistently ask CIS to send name check request to FBI hopefully you will be approved at the beginning of next year.

I just got a response from FBI regarding my inquery about Freedom of Information-Privacy Acts(FOIPA). It said:
" Based on the information furnished, a search of the automated indices to our central records system files located no records at FBI headquarters responsive to your FOIPA request to indicate you have ever been of investigatory interest to FBI. The automated indices is an index to all records created since , in security , applicant, and administrative matters, as well as to all records create since ... , in cirminal matters."

What should I do with this letter? Please advise!

Thanks!

What to do after name check

Hello WaitingTo
You might wanna check this thread out
http://immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=136848

I believe they want you to wait 6 months before they will give you any status updates. If you persist they might tell you something...most probably that your name check is pending. You should give it about two weeks from the date that FBI said they sent your name check result and then you can pursue them. That is my understanding from the thread above.