• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

An Open Letter To Simon

Thank you, I understand now.
Just out of curiosity, when is the background check conducted? Before the interview, after you submit your forms? because I know that in the vast majority of cases, the visa is approved (or not) right at the end of the interview.

Mostly, that is when it is done. KCC does some preliminary checks and then the consulate does some as well. For those that are more complex and may require significant resources, like Iranian applicants, I am guessing they leave the intensive bit until after the interview. A lot of people don't bother arriving for interviews, so I guess they do not want to potentially waste a lot of effort unnecessarily - so will only go ahead once they are sure the person actually wants the visa.

Mostly, that is when it is done. KCC does some preliminary checks and then the consulate does some as well. For those that are more complex and may require significant resources, like Iranian applicants, I am guessing they leave the intensive bit until after the interview. A lot of people don't bother arriving for interviews, so I guess they do not want to potentially waste a lot of effort unnecessarily - so will only go ahead once they are sure the person actually wants the visa.

Got it, thanks! :)

Thank you, I understand now.
Just out of curiosity, when is the background check conducted? Before the interview, after you submit your forms? because I know that in the vast majority of cases, the visa is approved (or not) right at the end of the interview.

I think the background check is initiated once an applicant's CN becomes current and the file case gets sent to the applicable US embassy/consulate. There are 4 types of checks they tend to carry out (could be more for some people depending on a "Hit" or an "Indent" result being returned):

• TECS (Treasury Emforcement Communications System) Name Check/IBIS (Interagency Border Inspection System) Name Check
  • FBI Name Check
  • FBI Fingerprint Checks
  • IDENT Fingerprint Checks
I'm certain the first two, which are biographic name checks are carried out before the interview date, while the last two (0r at least the third one) which are biometric based are done at the time of the interview.

I can't be bothered to explain any further, but the following links will make for an interesting reading for anyone interested in learning more about the process:

FBI Visa Name Check Process (2003):
http://www.fbi.gov/news/testimony/the-fbis-visa-name-check-process

Immigration Benefits Background Check Systems (2010)
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/privacy/privacy_pia_uscis_ibbcs.pdf

USCIS Background Security Check
http://immigrationroad.com/green-card/uscis-security-check.php

I think the background check is initiated once an applicant's CN becomes current and the file case gets sent to the applicable US embassy/consulate. There are 4 types of checks they tend to carry out (could be more for some people depending on a "Hit" or an "Indent" result being returned):

• TECS (Treasury Emforcement Communications System) Name Check/IBIS (Interagency Border Inspection System) Name Check
  • FBI Name Check
  • FBI Fingerprint Checks
  • IDENT Fingerprint Checks
I'm certain the first two, which are biographic name checks are carried out before the interview date, while the last two (0r at least the third one) which are biometric based are done at the time of the interview.

I can't be bothered to explain any further, but the following links will make for an interesting reading for anyone interested in learning more about the process:

FBI Visa Name Check Process (2003):
http://www.fbi.gov/news/testimony/the-fbis-visa-name-check-process

Immigration Benefits Background Check Systems (2010)
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/privacy/privacy_pia_uscis_ibbcs.pdf

USCIS Background Security Check
http://immigrationroad.com/green-card/uscis-security-check.php

Thanks a lot, your explanation is more than enough, and the links seem useful.
Best of luck to everyone!

hi,

I`m DV2014 winners from Iran. It`s been about 50 days that no CN has been announced and hardly updated by ABD & ANK &YRV embassies for Iranian selectees .After a long halt in CEAS most of CNs had been updated during last 5 days , and today some email were answered as below:
1. Unfortunately, we do not currently have sufficient visa numbers to issue any additional diversity visas at this time. When we have additional information about the availability, we will post in on our website.

And at the same time some of cases’ emails were answered by embassy some were answered as below:
2. ''The annual limit for DV-2014 visa numbers has been reached''.

I would appreciate if you could tell us your interpretation of our condition.

hi,

I`m DV2014 winners from Iran. It`s been about 50 days that no CN has been announced and hardly updated by ABD & ANK &YRV embassies for Iranian selectees .After a long halt in CEAS most of CNs had been updated during last 5 days , and today some email were answered as below:
1. Unfortunately, we do not currently have sufficient visa numbers to issue any additional diversity visas at this time. When we have additional information about the availability, we will post in on our website.

And at the same time some of cases’ emails were answered by embassy some were answered as below:

Are there any updates on the websites themselves? When visas ran out for Iran last year, a notice was posted to that effect on the Ankara website (20 Sept). The notice is here FYI: http://turkey.usembassy.gov/mobile//wn_92013.html

Number 2 above sounds much more final than 1. It's not clear why they would be sending both messages out.

Ankara embassy has this on their site:-

"The regional limits in all six regions have been reached. This is based on the number of applicants who have been scheduled for their initial interview, now through September. Those applicants who do not appear or return to overcome a refusal during the original month of interview are at serious risk of a visa number not being available. "

http://turkey.usembassy.gov/importantnoticefordv.html

Basically this is a slightly stronger warning than we have seen to applicants AP already. Your variation of the message in point 2 above seems to suggest that some people are being told they "might" get a visa and others are being told they will not. In other words there is a safe range, a risky range and an unsafe range (probably meaning no visa).

The fact that this is directed to AP applicants is more evidence that scheduled interviews in August and September are allocated and finishing AP cases have to wait to see if they have a chance or not.

Ankara embassy has this on their site:-

"The regional limits in all six regions have been reached. This is based on the number of applicants who have been scheduled for their initial interview, now through September. Those applicants who do not appear or return to overcome a refusal during the original month of interview are at serious risk of a visa number not being available. "

http://turkey.usembassy.gov/importantnoticefordv.html

Basically this is a slightly stronger warning than we have seen to applicants AP already. Your variation of the message in point 2 above seems to suggest that some people are being told they "might" get a visa and others are being told they will not. In other words there is a safe range, a risky range and an unsafe range (probably meaning no visa).

The fact that this is directed to AP applicants is more evidence that scheduled interviews in August and September are allocated and finishing AP cases have to wait to see if they have a chance or not.

Oh wow. Heart in the mouth for a second until I saw the "based on scheduled interviews" thing. So hopefully will turn out ok for everyone but I suspect a bit of fear for anyone who might have a late Sep slot...

hi,

This is how I see it: People with cleared AP in the coming weeks will only have a chance if some other people doing their interview in August or September are put on AP. So if new people are put on AP their visa will become available for previous AP people that have had their cases cleared recently.

thank you all for reply.
but the confusing questions may raise here .a
ccording to latest Ceas file at most 2100 visas have been issued for Iran out of Irans` yearly quota 3500 visas(7%).
1. what happened to the rest of visas??????!!!!!!!!
2. why should they tell us that ''The annual limit for DV-2014 visa numbers has been reached'' while there are about 1400 visas unissued???

thank you all for reply.
but the confusing questions may raise here .a
ccording to latest Ceas file at most 2100 visas have been issued for Iran out of Irans` yearly quota 3500 visas(7%).
1. what happened to the rest of visas??????!!!!!!!!
2. why should they tell us that ''The annual limit for DV-2014 visa numbers has been reached'' while there are about 1400 visas unissued???

Well Iran doesn't have a yearly quota of 3500 - it, like all countries, has a limit of 7% so it may not get to its limit if visas within the region or globally are used up. Also remember that AoS cases do not appear in CEAC and furthermore an Iranian case could be processed anywhere, not just the three main consulates. There are also lots of Iranian cases on AP, so as they get resolved they will take up those remaining slots.

Well Iran doesn't have a yearly quota of 3500 - it, like all countries, has a limit of 7% so it may not get to its limit if visas within the region or globally are used up. Also remember that AoS cases do not appear in CEAC and furthermore an Iranian case could be processed anywhere, not just the three main consulates. There are also lots of Iranian cases on AP, so as they get resolved they will take up those remaining slots.

Thank you any way.so all we have to do is keeping fingers crossed to get remained visas.
Can we find any hope in 2nd paragraph??

''Section 203© of the INA provides up to 55,000 immigrant visas each fiscal year to permit additional immigration opportunities for persons from countries with low admissions during the previous five years. The NACARA stipulates that beginning with DV-99, and for as long as necessary, up to 5,000 of the 55,000 annually-allocated diversity visas will be made available for use under the NACARA program. This resulted in reduction of the DV-2014 annual limit to 50,000. DV visas are divided among six geographic regions. No one country can receive more than seven percent of the available diversity visas in any one year.

For September, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to qualified DV-2014 applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as follows. When an allocation cut-off number is shown, visas are available only for applicants with DV regional lottery rank numbers BELOW the specified allocation cut-off number''

Thank you any way.so all we have to do is keeping fingers crossed to get remained visas.
Can we find any hope in 2nd paragraph??

''Section 203© of the INA provides up to 55,000 immigrant visas each fiscal year to permit additional immigration opportunities for persons from countries with low admissions during the previous five years. The NACARA stipulates that beginning with DV-99, and for as long as necessary, up to 5,000 of the 55,000 annually-allocated diversity visas will be made available for use under the NACARA program. This resulted in reduction of the DV-2014 annual limit to 50,000. DV visas are divided among six geographic regions. No one country can receive more than seven percent of the available diversity visas in any one year.

For September, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to qualified DV-2014 applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as follows. When an allocation cut-off number is shown, visas are available only for applicants with DV regional lottery rank numbers BELOW the specified allocation cut-off number''

Well they haven't hit the limit yet. The original note is simply saying that all visas are allocated (pre allocated) so, if you were already interviewed just waiting for AP then there is a chance your AP will complete and you may get a visa. It ain't over till its over!

the embassy has announced that ''The regional limits in all six regions have been reached'' .

so why most of the AP Iranian cases(about 80%) have been getting updated since Aug 8th several times?!!
for example after receiving above mentioned email on Aug 7th , my case (all members) has been updated on Aug 8th , and ( just AP member) on Aug 12th & 15th.

the embassy has announced that ''The regional limits in all six regions have been reached'' .

so why most of the AP Iranian cases(about 80%) have been getting updated since Aug 8th several times?!!
for example after receiving above mentioned email on Aug 7th , my case (all members) has been updated on Aug 8th , and ( just AP member) on Aug 12th & 15th.

Because if you read it properly it tells you the limits have been reached once accounting for what they expect to issue in August and September. You never get the whole story from a headline....

Because if you read it properly it tells you the limits have been reached once accounting for what they expect to issue in August and September. You never get the whole story from a headline....

yes you are right in but in above mentioned text. BUT what i meant was the intention of embassies by updating the case in spite of the fact that they have already written mentioned sentence in reply email to me and many of Iranians .

yes you are right in but in above mentioned text. BUT what i meant was the intention of embassies by updating the case in spite of the fact that they have already written mentioned sentence in reply email to me and many of Iranians .

When you say updated do you mean on case status tracker? Anytime someone looks at your file it updates. It may or may not mean anything.

Those two email messages you posted are only consistent with each other if you do indeed take it that numbers are exhausted taking expected issuance into account, IMO. Otherwise they are contradictory.

hi

No official announcement has been issued by ANK,YRV,ABD embassies for Iranian about hitting the limit, like Nepal embassy. i consider it visa has`t ran out yet. besides i hope for NACARA program(if any) remained visa.
Recently most of iranian Case have been Cleared and wait for visa.
Assuming embassies start issuing visa, by which order the cleared cases will be announced?
the order of interview date and waiting time ? or clearance date? OR, first come first go?

Dear Simon
what has happened to Iranian visas?I am shocked and over 1000 2014 winners are shocked too.I went to the embassy two weeks ago they told me although your administrative processing is done and everything is ok for your visa issuance but we don't have visa numbers and the program is over for Iranians. But based on CEAS files published on 13th Sep they are reaching neither Asia limit(10000) nor World limit(50000). Don't they contradicting themselves?what do you call this? they charged us for the interview. couldn't they calculate their visa numbers before and based on that invite applicants to interview?and now they have visa but they don't approve
very strange.far fetched from US

Last edited:
Dear Simon
what has happened to Iranian visas?I am shocked and over 1000 2014 winners are shocked too.I went to the embassy two weeks ago they told me although your administrative processing is done and everything is ok for your visa issuance but we don't have visa numbers and the program is over for Iranians. But based on CEAS files published on 13th Sep they are reaching neither Asia limit(10000) nor World limit(50000). Don't they contradicting themselves?what do you call this? they charged us for the interview. couldn't they calculate their visa numbers before and based on that invite applicants to interview?and now they have visa but they don't approve
very strange.far fetched from US
Its all about the global quota, simon's latest data shows 48219 issued, and that without the AOS....
So the 50k global limit has been definitely reached, by now we are just waiting to see how many will be saved by Nacara input.