• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

An Open Letter To Simon

I don't want to point out specific countries, because I don't want to upset anyone on the forum, but most people I know that went on heavy APs, are people that travelled in hot coutries, like syria, libya.....
that's why they had to check their back-ground, to avoid any potential terror risk I guess...!
Don't you think that 5 months is more than enough for a simple back ground check?

Is there any solution to speed up the process? Will filling a complaint or hiring an attorney work in these conditions?

No. They take as long as they need to take. Because there is no diplomatic relationship between the US and Iran, the US cannot get any assistance from the Iranian authorities to help with the background checks so it takes a long time. All an attorney will do is cost you money. All a complaint will do is get you a standard response that is probably already on their virtual embassy website somewhere.

Don't you think that 5 months is more than enough for a simple back ground check?

The background checks are usually shorter than that, even for Iran. So there is clearly something that is not "simple" about this. Assuming everything is valid with the person concerned, it may be something unfortunate like sharing a name with someone on the terrorism list.

I don't want to point out specific countries, because I don't want to upset anyone on the forum, but most people I know that went on heavy APs, are people that travelled in hot coutries, like syria, libya.....
that's why they had to check their back-ground, to avoid any potential terror risk I guess...!

Thanks a lot Vladek! I'm syrian and I'm really worried about this AP thing. also my CN is in the 9k's, do all applicants from these countries necessarily end up in AP? and i've been to the US many times before, can that help me avoid AP?
Thank you so much for being so helpful :)

Thanks a lot Vladek! I'm syrian and I'm really worried about this AP thing. also my CN is in the 9k's, do all applicants from these countries necessarily end up in AP? and i've been to the US many times before, can that help me avoid AP?
Thank you so much for being so helpful :)
If you've already been in the US, than you will surely not fall under AP, so just make sure all your documents are ready for the interview day.
Because AP is not only for back-gound check its also for missing document or incomplete application.

How does he know that? Or does he just mean, from the small sample on his forum?

Not sure. I'm guessing that either 1) that forum sample is large enough that they feel it's well representing the population, or 2) the embassies post the recently cleared case numbers on their websites.

If you've already been in the US, than you will surely not fall under AP, so just make sure all your documents are ready for the interview day.
Because AP is not only for back-gound check its also for missing document or incomplete application.

Wow Vladek, that's a huuge relief!!!! Yes I've been to the US four times before, latest was last year. and of course i will make sure i have everything!
thanks again, and wish you the best in the US :D :D

No vladek, that's wrong. Having visited the US in the past does not automatically mean one will not fall under AP.

We have lots of people currently in the US doing AOS (non-DV related) who have been stucked in AP for close to 1 year or more.

No vladek, that's wrong. Having visited the US in the past does not automatically mean one will not fall under AP.

We have lots of people currently in the US doing AOS (non-DV related) who have been stucked in AP for close to 1 year or more.
I really thought that would facilitate, his case, and avoid an AP based on back_ground check !
Well you know better than me mom :)

*Sigh... it was a short-lived relief.. I was hoping it might help a little...
any words of advice @Sm1smom ?

*Sigh... it was a short-lived relief.. I was hoping it might help a little...
any words of advice @Sm1smom ?

Sorry for bursting your bubbles, but I felt it was important to set the records straight.

Well to avoid being put on AP, you can help yourself by making sure you've closely read the instructions and followed them, be sure to have all the required documents ready and available for your interview.

Unfortunately when it comes to background/security check AP related issues, AFAIK, there's nothing an applicant can do about it but try to patiently wait it out and hope it gets resolved either before the end of the applicable FY or regional visa quota run out.

Sorry for bursting your bubbles, but I felt it was important to set the records straight.

Well to avoid being put on AP, you can help yourself by making sure you've closely read the instructions and followed them, be sure to have all the required documents ready and available for your interview.

Unfortunately when it comes to background/security check AP related issues, AFAIK, there's nothing an applicant can do about it but try to patiently wait it out and hope it gets resolved either before the end of the applicable FY or regional visa quota run out.

Thank you so much, I appreciate your honesty, it's very important that one remains realistic.
Also thanks to vladek and all members who do their best to help others without return!

So does it mean that each and every applicant from these countries (I'm Syrian too), MUST go under AP and the background check?

So does it mean that each and every applicant from these countries (I'm Syrian too), MUST go under AP and the background check?

No, I never stated that each and every applicant from any country MUST be put under AP.

However, a background check is conducted on each and every applicant regardless of their country of origin, and that is different from being put on AP.

No, I never stated that each and every applicant from any country MUST be put under AP.

However, a background check is conducted on each and every applicant regardless of their country of origin, and that is different from being put on AP.

Thank you, I understand now.
Just out of curiosity, when is the background check conducted? Before the interview, after you submit your forms? because I know that in the vast majority of cases, the visa is approved (or not) right at the end of the interview.