• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Affidavit of Support (I-134)

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding the affidavit of support. I'm from Europe but I currently live in Dubai so I will have my interview at the embassy in Abu Dhabi. I read somewhere on their website that an affidavit is mandatory for all immigration visas.

However, I've read a few interview stories from people who were interviewed there and not a single one mentioned being asked to present the affidavit.

I don't have any relatives living in the US and I don't really feel comfortable asking a friend to sign one for me. Is a bank statement enough as proof we won't become a public charge?

(We have about 30K in savings and I know we won't have any trouble finding employment in the US...)
@Rute......i also live in Dubai but from Kenya, will do interview at Abu Dhabi....does it make sense to gang up for advice since we live together here is Dubai :)? whats up: +971554770532

Hi Simon,
I read What You say and I have already ask you the question BUT now that I am current and receive the 2d letter I can read in it that they need the affidavit or job letter but they don't talk about save money! :(
I'm scared that there wills be a problem !

Hi Simon,
I read What You say and I have already ask you the question BUT now that I am current and receive the 2d letter I can read in it that they need the affidavit or job letter but they don't talk about save money! :(
I'm scared that there wills be a problem !

There is no reason to be scared. The information sent to that discusses the 864 is for family based immigration cases. This has been covered well in this thread and many others, so I don't know why you are scared at all.

Hi everyone,

I will have my interview at the end of July. I have a affidavit of support, a job offer and around 20K on my and my husbands bank account. I am from Macedonia, the affidavit is required. I wanted to ask @Britsimon do i need a document form my supporter that he really leaves on that address? Like a copy from driving licence, etc. ?

Good luck to everyone!

Hi everyone,

I will have my interview at the end of July. I have a affidavit of support, a job offer and around 20K on my and my husbands bank account. I am from Macedonia, the affidavit is required. I wanted to ask @Britsimon do i need a document form my supporter that he really leaves on that address? Like a copy from driving licence, etc. ?

Good luck to everyone!

Yes, you specifically Britsimon but I'm going to respond nonetheless.

Your sponsor does not need to provide a proof of address, however he/she needs to provide you certain documents in support of the affidavit such as a copy of their status ID, W2, account information, etc.

@Sm1smom, @Britsimon , and @SusieQQQ You guys are doing a heck of a job helping everyone out :) God bless you all.

Quick question regarding the affidavit of support. I'm looking at the instructions regarding the supporting documents here http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-134instr.pdf but I see that in nowhere it asks for tax related documents such as W2 if a person is not self-employed. The instructions file seems to be very recent. Have they changed the requirements? Or am I completely looking at the wrong place?

@Sm1smom, @Britsimon , and @SusieQQQ You guys are doing a heck of a job helping everyone out :) God bless you all.

Quick question regarding the affidavit of support. I'm looking at the instructions regarding the supporting documents here http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-134instr.pdf but I see that in nowhere it asks for tax related documents such as W2 if a person is not self-employed. The instructions file seems to be very recent. Have they changed the requirements? Or am I completely looking at the wrong place?

Did you notice the form also says to submit supporting documents in duplicates but we've never told people that? It equally doesn't indicate what is to be submitted as evidence if the sponsor is listing stocks and bonds, or personal property as part if their financial strength on the form itself, right?

What I'm getting at is that just because W2 is not listed on the instruction form doesn't mean it's not required. Providing a W2 actually eliminates the need to include IRS tax returns with the affidavit. What is listed on the instruction form is supposed to be a guide as to what is required, it is by no means exhaustive.

Of course, everyone is free to disregard what I, or any other person says and go strictly by what is written on the instruction form. It's all well and good :)

Gotcha @Sm1smom and thanks for your prompt response :) I see your point and it makes perfect sense. I'll go with your advise and have the W2 included. From what you said I take it that if I get the W2, I don't need other forms such as 1040? Am I getting this right?
Thanks for your help :)

@Sm1smom
I read that if you fill the AOS i-134 form you have to bring supporting evidence ( http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-134instr.pdf ) which you will find here. This does not include w2 or the other forms that are mentioned. The supporter has to have money on his/hers bank account from poverty guidelines ( http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf ).

I am really confused about the forms. Do we, the dv winners, should bring i-134 or some of the i-86... to the Embassy?

Gotcha @Sm1smom and thanks for your prompt response :) I see your point and it makes perfect sense. I'll go with your advise and have the W2 included. From what you said I take it that if I get the W2, I don't need other forms such as 1040? Am I getting this right?
Thanks for your help :)

If you're able to get form 1040 from your sponsor, there's nothing wrong with having or including it. Remember, it's in your best interest to have or submit as much evidence as you possibly can in support of your application. Again, just like what's stated on the instructions for the affidavit, these are all guideliness, they're not intended to preclude one document or the other.

@Sm1smom
I read that if you fill the AOS i-134 form you have to bring supporting evidence ( http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-134instr.pdf ) which you will find here. This does not include w2 or the other forms that are mentioned. The supporter has to have money on his/hers bank account from poverty guidelines ( http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf ).

I am really confused about the forms. Do we, the dv winners, should bring i-134 or some of the i-86... to the Embassy?

DV applicants who are required to present affidavit of support can only use I-134 to do so. The law does not allow DV applicants to use form I-864. No, the person providing the affidavit of support is not required to have the applicable amount above the poverty guideline in his/her bank account. The person is required to show they're able to or they earn an income above the poverty guideline, that's why documents such as W2 and employment letters are required in support of the affidavit. These documents (among other things) proves how much the sponsor makes and what's left over by the time the income tax is taken out of the equation.

If you're able to get form 1040 from your sponsor, there's nothing wrong with having or including it. Remember, it's in your best interest to have or submit as much evidence as you possibly can in support of your application. Again, just like what's stated on the instructions for the affidavit, these are all guideliness, they're not intended to preclude one document or the other.
Got it. Thanks a lot @Sm1smom :)

Hi @Sm1smom @Britsimon

I-134 with tax return forms for sponsorship should be obtained from individual living in the U.S (as far as i know). My question is it possible to use a company as the sponsor instead of individuals? and if so what type of form could be used?

I am working in a Houston based company and i think i may use it since am struggling to find a sponsor. relocation letter or new offer letter could be useful.

Thanks as usual :)

Hi @Sm1smom @Britsimon

I-134 with tax return forms for sponsorship should be obtained from individual living in the U.S (as far as i know). My question is it possible to use a company as the sponsor instead of individuals? and if so what type of form could be used?

I am working in a Houston based company and i think i may use it since am struggling to find a sponsor. relocation letter or new offer letter could be useful.

Thanks as usual :)

No the I134 should be completed by an individual, not a company. And yes - the person needs to be a legal resident in the USA (citizen, LPR or temp visa holder)

I was wondering does the documents affidavit, 1040 and w2 have ti be sealed from notary and unpacked until we go to the embassy or they should send me the documents regular?

thanks in advance @Sm1smom, @Britsimon

I was wondering does the documents affidavit, 1040 and w2 have ti be sealed from notary and unpacked until we go to the embassy or they should send me the documents regular?

thanks in advance @Sm1smom, @Britsimon

The I134 does not need to be notarized - nor do the supporting documents. All of that should be sent to you for use at the interview...

@Britsimon thank you for your answer.
My sponsor will send me the documents by the post office because i read that is better like that than through e-mail.
We will have the documents from our sponsor, money on bank account (around 20k) and job offer. I think that we will not have any problems. What do you think?

@Britsimon thank you for your answer.
My sponsor will send me the documents by the post office because i read that is better like that than through e-mail.
We will have the documents from our sponsor, money on bank account (around 20k) and job offer. I think that we will not have any problems. What do you think?

I agree - you won't have a problem!