• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Affidavit of Support (I-134)

Rute

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding the affidavit of support. I'm from Europe but I currently live in Dubai so I will have my interview at the embassy in Abu Dhabi. I read somewhere on their website that an affidavit is mandatory for all immigration visas.

However, I've read a few interview stories from people who were interviewed there and not a single one mentioned being asked to present the affidavit.

I don't have any relatives living in the US and I don't really feel comfortable asking a friend to sign one for me. Is a bank statement enough as proof we won't become a public charge?

(We have about 30K in savings and I know we won't have any trouble finding employment in the US...)

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding the affidavit of support. I'm from Europe but I currently live in Dubai so I will have my interview at the embassy in Abu Dhabi. I read somewhere on their website that an affidavit is mandatory for all immigration visas.

However, I've read a few interview stories from people who were interviewed there and not a single one mentioned being asked to present the affidavit.

I don't have any relatives living in the US and I don't really feel comfortable asking a friend to sign one for me. Is a bank statement enough as proof we won't become a public charge?

(We have about 30K in savings and I know we won't have any trouble finding employment in the US...)

I can't find where that is written on the Dubai embassy site. From what you have available you do not need the aos unless they specifically request it. So, if it says something on the website or they send you an email saying it is required, follow that instruction, otherwise don't worry about it.

That's what I thought, thanks for answering :)

It just puzzled me to find the Diversity Visas section on the website wasn't up to date and then the Immigrant Visas section listed the affidavit as one of the documents to be presented at the interview for any immigrant visa...

http://abudhabi.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html

The mention about the affidavit on that page is referring to an I864 - which cannot be used in DV cases, so you may safely assume that this instruction does not apply to you. To be safe, take the 9 fam notes on that subject to the interview. I ll find the link in a moment.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86988.pdf
Page 10.

You shall be fine with your bank statements and as Simon the great said the affidavit of support is not mandatory for DV

I have read this couple of days ago in Arabic thread. Abu dhabi do embassy do require the I-134 plus IRS forms W-2 & 1040

Simon, that is great!

I'll make sure I print that out and take it with me to the interview, just to be safe.

Thanks a lot.

@shiberfield: maybe it was some special case? Someone who seemed likely to become a public charge, perhaps?
Well, worst case scenario I can always try to change my interview to Paris...

@Rute : True, that could be the case. But my interview in Riyadh/KSA, and they require to file a petition, so i thought it may be a mandatory thing in the gulf region. try to investigate since you already in Dubai and i hope you will get a clear answer.

Also i don't believe I-134 is a big issue, the problem is they might request in addition to the I-134, an IRS tax return forms (1040+w2). Unless you have a close friend in US, i don't see anyone would file a petition and provide you with the tax return forms. that my problem now :(

@Britsimon : Am facing difficulties to understand which form is required to file a petition in Riyadh embassy. In their website to file a petition you have to provide I-130 form which is doesn't apply for me since am immigrating through the diversity program not a family visa.

Then in other page in their website they mentioned (I-864, I-864EZ, I-864W).

And when i emailed the embassy they said you may need to file I-134 with tax returns!

From your experience, which form should i file. thanks

Simon, that is great!

I'll make sure I print that out and take it with me to the interview, just to be safe.

Thanks a lot.

@shiberfield: maybe it was some special case? Someone who seemed likely to become a public charge, perhaps?
Well, worst case scenario I can always try to change my interview to Paris...
I have read this couple of days ago in Arabic thread. Abu dhabi do embassy do require the I-134 plus IRS forms W-2 & 1040

Correct. In a case where someone does not have savings, or assets to show they will not become a public charge, they can strengthen their case by providing a I134 form. That form must be completed by a US resident and be supported by the tax forms you mention proving the income stated is correct.

@Rute : True, that could be the case. But my interview in Riyadh/KSA, and they require to file a petition, so i thought it may be a mandatory thing in the gulf region. try to investigate since you already in Dubai and i hope you will get a clear answer.

Also i don't believe I-134 is a big issue, the problem is they might request in addition to the I-134, an IRS tax return forms (1040+w2). Unless you have a close friend in US, i don't see anyone would file a petition and provide you with the tax return forms. that my problem now :(

@Britsimon : Am facing difficulties to understand which form is required to file a petition in Riyadh embassy. In their website to file a petition you have to provide I-130 form which is doesn't apply for me since am immigrating through the diversity program not a family visa.

And when i emailed the embassy they said you may need to file I-134 with tax returns!

As I posted before (link above) the 864 form cannot be used in a DV case. I am 100 % sure about that.

For DV you can use a 134 form which is supported by the sponsors tax return. You generally don't need the I134 IF you ave enough savings or assets or a job offer to show that you will not become a public charge.

@Rute

You're not filing a petition in Riyadh embassy, an I-130 is not applicable. Let's get the terminologies straight, you're self petitioning, I-130 is used when someone is submitting a visa petition on your behalf. The term 'Petitioner' is not the same as 'Sponsor'.

What you need with regards to your case is a Sponsor and your sponsor is required to provide with you with form I-134 which should include supporting documents such as W2, IRS tax returns, etc to support whatever claim is made on the I-134. I-864 is not applicable to DV applicants

Hi @Britsimon

1. Would an affidavit of support for a DV winner from a non-immigrant resident of the US work?
2. If yes, would it be acceptable if it comes from a non-immigrant US resident who works in the US as a diplomat of a foreign mission noting meanwhile that diplomats are exempt from paying taxes and therefore do not file taxes and as such, cannot provide tax return documents to support the affidavit of support?

I would appreciate your insight here.

Thanks

Sam

Hi @Britsimon

1. Would an affidavit of support for a DV winner from a non-immigrant resident of the US work?
2. If yes, would it be acceptable if it comes from a non-immigrant US resident who works in the US as a diplomat of a foreign mission noting meanwhile that diplomats are exempt from paying taxes and therefore do not file taxes and as such, cannot provide tax return documents to support the affidavit of support?

Thanks

Sam

1. Yes.
2. You are adding risk there. The CO is following guidelines, those guidelines require tax records. So it is doubtful that the CO will accept the form simply because it won't fit the norm. Best to use someone else.

Hi @Britsimon

Thanks

Sam

1. Yes, a person on a dual intent visas such as L or H can provide the affidavit.

2. A diplomat US is technically not considered to be on US soil, therefore I think it's risky using such a person. There's really no way of verify the person's income and earnings without tax document. I wouldn't risk being put on AP following my interview because my affidavit of support wasn't acceptable if I was in your shoes. Bottom line? Find someone else to provide you with it.

Thanks heaps @Britsimon and @Sm1smom for your insight.
I think I'd just try to find someone else as I do not want to take any risk.
Another question: I might be able to get a job offer from the embassy of my home country in the US. However, this job offer is for a short term employment (6 months max). Would this carry any weight in proving that I won't become a public charge? And if yes, would I still need an affidavit of support from someone else?
I really appreciate your insight :)

Thanks heaps @Britsimon and @Sm1smom for your insight.
I think I'd just try to find someone else as I do not want to take any risk.
Another question: I might be able to get a job offer from the embassy of my home country in the US. However, this job offer is for a short term employment (6 months max). Would this carry any weight in proving that I won't become a public charge? And if yes, would I still need an affidavit of support from someone else?
I really appreciate your insight :)

A job offer can help, yes. You can also show evidence of your own savings or assets that will be available to you to support yourself. They have to consider the whole picture and they also consider the credibility of the documents you provide.

Thanks heap @Britsimon :)
My interview will be in Kuala Lumpur. The US embassy in Kuala Lumpur does not require an affidavit of support. However, I want to be fully prepared in case they ask for it and don't want to take any risk.
I'm gonna try to have as much proof as possible starting with an affidavit of support, followed by my own savings (around USD16k for me and my wife noting meanwhile that bank statements are trusted here in Malaysia), and try to get a job offer just in case.
Thanks heaps for your insight Simon :)

Thanks heap @Britsimon :)
My interview will be in Kuala Lumpur. The US embassy in Kuala Lumpur does not require an affidavit of support. However, I want to be fully prepared in case they ask for it and don't want to take any risk.
I'm gonna try to have as much proof as possible starting with an affidavit of support, followed by my own savings (around USD16k for me and my wife noting meanwhile that bank statements are trusted here in Malaysia), and try to get a job offer just in case.
Thanks heaps for your insight Simon :)

Yep that sounds like good preparation. One word of advice, just make sure you don't present a job offer if it isn't 100% genuine and cannot be verified.

Yep that sounds like good preparation. One word of advice, just make sure you don't present a job offer if it isn't 100% genuine and cannot be verified.
Got it Simon! Yeah definitely I won't take any risk in that area!
Thanks heaps for your advise.
Enjoy your weekend :)