• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 EU Selectees

Hi all, quick question in regard of meeting Education Requirements? My parents won the DV-lottery and have decided to go forward, their case is 2017EU00020***, the primary has a high school diploma, that was issued a long time ago when the requirement was to go for 3 or 4 years in high school to achieve a high school diploma. So needless to say that person did get it with a 3 years of high school and now that i am reading a bit more about that requirement i am starting to have some doubts. Could any one shed some light if possible? all help is greatly appreciated.

Hi all, quick question in regard of meeting Education Requirements? My parents won the DV-lottery and have decided to go forward, their case is 2017EU00020***, the primary has a high school diploma, that was issued a long time ago when the requirement was to go for 3 or 4 years in high school to achieve a high school diploma. So needless to say that person did get it with a 3 years of high school and now that i am reading a bit more about that requirement i am starting to have some doubts. Could any one shed some light if possible? all help is greatly appreciated.

The requirement for FV is really based upon the level of education attained compared with University entry. If your parents could have entered a University (usually attained at about age 18) then their education is possibly enough. This does vary by embassy/country of education - so better information will get a better response.

The requirement for FV is really based upon the level of education attained compared with University entry. If your parents could have entered a University (usually attained at about age 18) then their education is possibly enough. This does vary by embassy/country of education - so better information will get a better response.
Yes they could have entered University at that time but chose not to do so. Obviously they do have the experience to qualify through that but how they go about it? Which one should they choose? can it be switch at time of interview?
Thanks

I'm afraid I have yet another question - when I log in to check the status of my ds-260, it shows as "completed". Should it be showing up as "submitted"? Do I need to scan in any documents, such as transcripts or birth certificates?

I'm afraid I have yet another question - when I log in to check the status of my ds-260, it shows as "completed". Should it be showing up as "submitted"? Do I need to scan in any documents, such as transcripts or birth certificates?

They all show completed.

Thank you!
I am helping a relative apply as I am already a US Citizen but sibilings green card applications take too long right now.
I read the instructions and most everything is clear except if you have a child do you need to submit a photo of that child?
Thanks again :)

Yes, spouse and children's pictures are required.

Thank you!
I am helping a relative apply as I am already a US Citizen but sibilings green card applications take too long right now.
I read the instructions and most everything is clear except if you have a child do you need to submit a photo of that child?
Thanks again :)

Read item 7 on page 3.... it's very clear that you need to include children's photos too.

Hello Everybody!
I`ve been selected in the 2nd draw :)
My number is 2019EU24xxx
Soooo happy but also fearful (Sine 2009 I have been living in Europe, but I overstayed student visa for a few years :confused:)
Well. we will see....
Congratulation to all winners!!!

Hello Everybody!
I`ve been selected in the 2nd draw :)
My number is 2019EU24xxx
Soooo happy but also fearful (Sine 2009 I have been living in Europe, but I overstayed student visa for a few years :confused:)
Well. we will see....
Congratulation to all winners!!!
Just to be clear: you overstayed your student visa in the country you live now, in Europe? Are you in legal status right now, in the country you seek to conduct your DV interview?

Right, let me clarify...
I came to US as a student (F1 visa) in 2003. I stayed there for 6 years (not studying)..

In 2009 I came back to my home country in Europe.

In my undersdtanding, the person who admitted to the U.S. as F1 student for the duration of status (“D/S”) do not accumulate unlawful presence - that`s why I decided to participate in the lottery...

Unfortunately, this is something that is not helping me...

Right, let me clarify...
I came to US as a student (F1 visa) in 2003. I stayed there for 6 years (not studying)..

In 2009 I came back to my home country in Europe.

In my undersdtanding, the person who admitted to the U.S. as F1 student for the duration of status (“D/S”) do not accumulate unlawful presence - that`s why I decided to participate in the lottery...

Unfortunately, this is something that is not helping me...
Well, this is a rather different situation then. What was your SEVIS status, i.e F visa tracking introduced through the 'Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act' in 1996, through all of those years, having been admitted as a student while not studying? While processes were significantly tightened down after 9/11, there still will be records from your time in the US from 2003 to 2009. For example, were you employed during any period during this time? etc. etc. You possibly may find you are dealing with a can of worms on any of these matters and certainly will need to be well prepared to deal with them, when they will come up at the Consulate interview.

Last edited:
I know my situation is not easy, but I least I would like to try...
I `ve never worked in US. I`ve never received any notification from SEVIS. How can I check my SEVIS history - is it possible?
THX

I know my situation is not easy, but I least I would like to try...
I `ve never worked in US. I`ve never received any notification from SEVIS. How can I check my SEVIS history - is it possible?
THX
To check on the status of your past SEVIS student record, you will need to work through the designated school official of the College/University that issued your I-20 when you applied for the F-1 visa to attend school in the US. On the basis of the information you provided, there is no doubt you became OOS when you did not comply with minimum credit requirements/discontinued enrollment, while remaining in the US on your F visa admission status. It probably will be advisable to consult with an experienced immigration lawyer to review your case in detail and advise on potential ways forward. Good luck!

While not knowing the technicalities of the law, I'd be amazed if someone can overstay a visa for 6 years and apparently not face any negative consequences (other than not being able to get another non immigrant visa). Kind of makes a mockery of it all.

Hello everyone,

first of all, I wanted to thank you for your help and encouragement during this exciting - and ongoing! - journey, especially Britsimon and Susieqqq. This forum was such a useful and reliable tool.

My case number is EU 2017100XX, and my immigrant visa was issued on Nov 16, after the successful interview at the embassy in Sarajevo, Bosnia on Nov 14 (DS260 submitted mid-May). :)
My biggest concern was my J1 two years home stay rule, which I fulfilled two years ago exactly so the timing was perfect.

The interview itself lasted less than ten minutes total (no derivatives), people here at the embassy were super nice and kind, and I had more documents than needed, such as I-134...
Either way, I'm heading to Washington DC area, where most of my friends are and where I was during my Fulbright year.

Best of luck to all DV winners and thanks again!

A