• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 EU Selectees

One of the vaccinations required in the medical is varicella, which isn't available in the UK. Should I try to get this during travel to other countries? Or, since I had chickenpox already as a child, would mentioning that be sufficient?

One of the vaccinations required in the medical is varicella, which isn't available in the UK. Should I try to get this during travel to other countries? Or, since I had chickenpox already as a child, would mentioning that be sufficient?

Leave it to the doctor to decide. FYI we got a waiver for an unavailable vaccine.

Hello,
first of all i'd like to thank you for your time you spend on helping everybody here... God Bless you.
I'm a winner of Dv-2017 from Albania (living in Italy) and have already submited my Ds-260 Form. I have a few questions, please.
I have been informed, so far, that US Embassy in Tirana Albania requires, as far as for the educational level: "Applicants must have completed a full-time high school education that is at least equivalent to a U.S. high school education (4 years, full-time, general studies). Full time general studies high school degrees do qualify for the lottery. Full time vocational high school degrees may qualify as long as they substantially conform to the core requirements of an equivalent United States general studies degree program. The final decision will be made by the consular officer on the day of the interview".
I have completed a full time high school education on 2001 and now am finishing my University 5 years degree in Law school in Italy. The high school wich I attended in Albania is an Artistic High School (4 years full-time) wich includes general corses such as:
Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, History, English, Sociology, Filosofy, Literature, Physical Education, Economics, and besides all these corses did attended several music corses and Piano instrument. So, this high school is considered by the Albanian (and by the way also by the Italian) institutions as equal to any other general, non vocational, high school.
Now, as far as you may consider, is my high school qualified as a general high school in USA or is it considered a vocational one? Will I be facing any problems with that with the US Embassy Tirana, on the interview date?
Thank's again for your help.

Hello,
first of all i'd like to thank you for your time you spend on helping everybody here... God Bless you.
I'm a winner of Dv-2017 from Albania (living in Italy) and have already submited my Ds-260 Form. I have a few questions, please.
I have been informed, so far, that US Embassy in Tirana Albania requires, as far as for the educational level: "Applicants must have completed a full-time high school education that is at least equivalent to a U.S. high school education (4 years, full-time, general studies). Full time general studies high school degrees do qualify for the lottery. Full time vocational high school degrees may qualify as long as they substantially conform to the core requirements of an equivalent United States general studies degree program. The final decision will be made by the consular officer on the day of the interview".
I have completed a full time high school education on 2001 and now am finishing my University 5 years degree in Law school in Italy. The high school wich I attended in Albania is an Artistic High School (4 years full-time) wich includes general corses such as:
Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, History, English, Sociology, Filosofy, Literature, Physical Education, Economics, and besides all these corses did attended several music corses and Piano instrument. So, this high school is considered by the Albanian (and by the way also by the Italian) institutions as equal to any other general, non vocational, high school.
Now, as far as you may consider, is my high school qualified as a general high school in USA or is it considered a vocational one? Will I be facing any problems with that with the US Embassy Tirana, on the interview date?
Thank's again for your help.

Education is a risky point in Tirana embassy, and they also have some strange ideas about the I-134 and so on. I would never advise someone to interview at that embassy if they had a choice. You have a choice. Why are you not interviewing in Italy???

Being selected in DV does not guarantee you a visa. There are certain requirements you need to meet. One of these is that you will not get an immigrant visa if the CO thinks you might become a public charge once you move. This factor is very individual dependent (your own qualifications, work experience, savings etc) as well as embassy dependent. So, in fact, an I134 or financial proof could be critical in determining whether or not you actually get a visa. There have been plenty of cases of people being refused due to public charge concerns. Australia doesn't normally ask....but why be complacent?

Britsimon's link will tell you more about the specific affidavits.

Ok, got it, I get the picture now ;)

If it helps any Im Lithuanian, but was raised and grew in Brooklyn NY for more than 20+ years, no fam or kids going all by myself back to NYC, basically ...home that's all I really know. Have many US citizen relatives back there across United States.

Thx again for the quick reply.

~~ Post moved from the OC 2017 Thread ~~

Last edited by a moderator:

If it helps any Im Lithuanian, but was raised and grew in Brooklyn NY for more than 20+ years, no fam or kids going all by myself back to NYC, basically ...home that's all I really know. Have many US citizen relatives back there across United States.

I'm curious, in what status where you living in the US for 20+ years?

The above stated facts will not necessarily address the public charge concern a CO may have if you don't present an actual I-134 (if you're interviewing at an embassy that requires it), or if you're unable to present evidence of personal adequate personal savings.

The above stated facts will not necessarily address the public charge concern a CO may have if you don't present an actual I-134 (if you're interviewing at an embassy that requires it), or if you're unable to present evidence of personal adequate personal savings.

Yup, curious as to why not a citizen after living there that long...not that it's necessarily relevant, just curious :)

Yup, curious as to why not a citizen after living there that long...not that it's necessarily relevant, just curious :)

My curiosity actually has to do with the possibility of the OP having a 10 year ban he/she may not even be aware of.

It's complicated people ;) but as far as ban goes I'm not even close. Speaking of that I know ppl who were deported, won DV and went through interview like a breeze, with a waiver of course.

It's complicated people ;) but as far as ban goes I'm not even close. Speaking of that I know ppl who were deported, won DV and went through interview like a breeze, with a waiver of course.

Would love to hear the actual details of those, as getting the waiver usually happens after the first interview and the process generally takes longer than the end of a fiscal year. Especially seeing as these are people you say you know, not someone you vaguely heard of. Can you give us the details, i.e. reason for deporting, what month in the fiscal year the first interview was, how long the waiver process took as well as the grounds the waiver was asked for?

As long as you're aware of how the odds are stacked if indeed you stayed in the US illegally at one point or the other, regardless of whether you eventually voluntarily departed or got deported.

By the way, I'm also interested in knowing more about these DV selectees who succeeded in getting a waiver to overcome the ban. What year where they selected, when was their interview and when was the waiver obtained?

As long as you're aware of how the odds are stacked if indeed you stayed in the US illegally at one point or the other, regardless of whether you eventually voluntarily departed or got deported.

Out of interest - I understand this is still true even if the illegal presence was when the person was a minor and not responsible for it happening - can you confirm if this is the case or if I misunderstood ?

The FAQs themselves in the DV lottery instructions even warn that waivers are difficult:

DV applicants are subject to all grounds of ineligibility for immigrant visas specified in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). There are no special provisions for the waiver of any ground of visa ineligibility aside from those ordinarily provided in the INA, nor is there special processing for waiver requests. Some general waiver provisions for people with close relatives who are U.S. citizens or Lawful Permanent Resident aliens may be available to DV applicants in some cases, but the time constraints in the DV program may make it difficult for applicants to benefit from such provisions.

Out of interest - I understand this is still true even if the illegal presence was when the person was a minor and not responsible for it happening - can you confirm if this is the case or if I misunderstood ?

My understanding is that a minor illegally brought in wouldn't be considered to have accrued an unlawful presence (even though the minor has an unlawful status) if the minor departs on or before their 18th birthday.

My understanding is that a minor illegally brought in wouldn't be considered to have accrued an unlawful presence (even though the minor has an unlawful status) if the minor departs on or before their 18th birthday.

Ok, thanks. That also seems fair.