• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 Winners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear fellow preselectees,
I will be going on vacation from May 1 to May 5 to celebrate my selection.
I may not have access to this forum.
I am proud of you, we've come a long way from where we began.
I wish you to successfuly take what has rightfully been in your mental ownership for months now - a low CN!

If, for whatever reason, you would like to continue an ascetic life of a preselectee, I will see you in 2017 thread.
Which was set up earlier, but offhandedly locked. As you know, I was recently approved for "preselection moderator" status, and I promise to unlock the 2017 thread as soon as I am inaugurated.

Mazel tov!

:)

I have lost count how many times I have entered this lottery. I was reading that last year they had a second selection due to some error or something. My question is..... as I was unaware of this I did not check in Oct to see if I had been selected for the 2015 and now I am guessing it is too late. What happens if I had infact been selected and because I would have been unaware and not followed through, would that now disqaulify me from all future GC lotteries?

I have lost count how many times I have entered this lottery. I was reading that last year they had a second selection due to some error or something. My question is..... as I was unaware of this I did not check in Oct to see if I had been selected for the 2015 and now I am guessing it is too late. What happens if I had infact been selected and because I would have been unaware and not followed through, would that now disqaulify me from all future GC lotteries?

No, you can still enter.
But go check anyway, if you have won and submit your DS pronto you should be ok.
Edit: the October is confusing it with something else. The letters were fixed up by a few days after the initial results, but if you only checked on 1 May you may have been incorrectly informed.

HI-guys, First i want to ask about the dv selection. I want to know if all the selectees are selected on the same day or what(May 5) ? As i noticed that I am required to keep my serial number in order to check my status btw may to sep.

HI-guys, First i want to ask about the dv selection. I want to know if all the selectees are selected on the same day or what(May 5) ? As i noticed that I am required to keep my serial number in order to check my status btw may to sep.

The selection process itself would already be completed. The information becomes publicly available from May 5th via the DV-Lottery website. You can check your status at any time from that date.

I believe, in years gone by (although not in any recent years to the best of my knowledge), a second selection "draw" might have been done later in the year, based on uptake numbers of the original selectees / submission of Visa applications. This is why they say to keep your confirmation number until September.

Oh-oh its almost that time of the year... wooooo!!! :)
You read my mind... the website also says,
"Entrants should keep their confirmation number until at least June 30, 2016".

Has it happened before that there is a second draw shortly after the first, how likely is it?
Just thinking if one needs to keep hope alive and to be checking every month or so into the year of 2016...

Has it happened before that there is a second draw shortly after the first, how likely is it?
Just thinking if one needs to keep hope alive and to be checking every month or so into the year of 2016...

This happened in years where they selected a smaller number of "winners". So if they select ~100k selectees, then they might need some more later. If on the other hand select 125K+ like DV2015 or even more like DV2014, then they will not need a second draw.

It's happened before that there was :
(1) a second draw in October, a couple of times, when they have been running "behind" on quota - the opposite situation of the last two years
(2) a second draw relatively soon after the first draw when there was an error in the 2012 draw and they had to redraw entirely
(3) incorrect notifications initially and that being corrected a couple of days later (2014).

No need to keep constantly checking. For the incorrect draws/notifications, you should be notified of such - I received an email informing me of the redraw in 2012. Not sure about the October draws, they have been rare and only a small amount of extra selectees but as I recall from one report they are notified to check the website.

Thank you for your very quick answers @Britsimon & @SusieQQQ that is really good to know!

By the way (might be off topic) but in general, what would the different options be for an LPR to bring a parent for a temporary visit yet longer periode of time?

I read something about filling in a I-134 to show affidavit of support for the parent?
How long would a dv recipient need to wait to be eligible to temporarily "sponsor" the parent?

Thank you for your very quick answers @Britsimon & @SusieQQQ that is really good to know!

By the way (might be off topic) but in general, what would the different options be for an LPR to bring a parent for a temporary visit yet longer periode of time?

I read something about filling in a I-134 to show affidavit of support for the parent?
How long would a dv recipient need to wait to be eligible to temporarily "sponsor" the parent?

I'm not sure what you mean by long periods of time. Most visitors visas would be on B1/B2. Those do not need a sponsor, but the applicant must show that they intend to return home within the terms of the visa which is normally 6 months.

That is the only option I know of until you get citizenship (5years) and at that point you can sponsor them for a GC quite easily.

Like Simon said, there's no 'special' way for a LPR to bring in their parents for a temporary yet longer period of stay than for the parents to apply for a B1/B2 visa which may allow for a stay of up to 6 months in a given year, just like any other person, including the parents of a USC. Of course a USC can sponsor their parents for a GC also, if the plan is for the parents to live in the U.S.

The 6 months' stay is not guaranteed, a stay of less than 6 months could actually be granted at the POE.

What they are interested in are crimes of moral turpitude.

This link will help you figure out whether a DUI would be a problem:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86942.pdf

Section 9(b) says that DUI is a crime against governmental authority but it also says that drunk driving is an offence 'which would not constitute moral turpitude for visa-issuance purposes. [These] are, in general, violation of laws which are regulatory in character and which do not involve the element of fraud or other evil intent.

It won't disqualify you by the looks of it BUT you need to declare it in the DS260. Not declaring it will bring you a world of trouble. Declare it and gather any court documents etc to show how it was dealt with.

Hi guys, I only just discovered this forum today and I really wish I knew about it earlier! Such an amazing amount of information here! Just wanted to wish you all good luck for May 5 (although it will be May 6 in my part of the world!) And if you are selected, may you be even luckier to get a low CN :)

Hi guys, I only just discovered this forum today and I really wish I knew about it earlier! Such an amazing amount of information here! Just wanted to wish you all good luck for May 5 (although it will be May 6 in my part of the world!) And if you are selected, may you be even luckier to get a low CN :)
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.