• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 winners from Europe

Hi @esa ! I just checked with a DHL office (official US embassy courier) in Tirana and I must say that your version is right. There is only need of just 1 account for all members of the family. First you register the winner and then you add spouse and children. Simple as that :)
p.s. the other way of doing (i.e. opening 1 account for each family member) is not wrong but no point of doing that...

Reactions: esa
Yes thank you @Flori_ALB_NY .I just posted the documents to embassy . :) . Now It's time to wait the medical examinations date . Uff it's nice to pass the steps by the time . Hope you get your interview date soon too .

Hi All.
I, (EU39XXX), am leaving my job in the Middle East, where I have worked for the past 8 years. During these 8 yrs my employers have kept me on a tourist visa (I cross border for 24 hours every 90 days to renew visa).
I have spent the last 3-4 weeks trying to get Police Clearance before I leave here for Europe at the end of Jan. The people at Police office say I cant get clearance as I was not a resident here during these 8 years.
This is really stressing me out as I wont have any records for these 8 years. Does anyone know what I should do?
Thanks.

Hi All.
I, (EU39XXX), am leaving my job in the Middle East, where I have worked for the past 8 years. During these 8 yrs my employers have kept me on a tourist visa (I cross border for 24 hours every 90 days to renew visa).
I have spent the last 3-4 weeks trying to get Police Clearance before I leave here for Europe at the end of Jan. The people at Police office say I cant get clearance as I was not a resident here during these 8 years.
This is really stressing me out as I wont have any records for these 8 years. Does anyone know what I should do?
Thanks.

What country are we discussing?

OK - if you read the reciprocity page for Kuwait you see the information posted below. You should go through the motions exactly as you see written below - and document carefully the steps you have taken to obtain the certificate. Because of the way you have "not" resided there for more than 6 months you might still fail to get the police certificate. In that case you need to prove that you took these trips every 90 days to establish that you have not met the residency requirement described below - even though this lasted 8 years. It is all about the documentation. You want to go to the interview armed carefully with the evidence that proves you followed the intructions AND proved that you did not meet the residency standard, and therefore are not expected to provide the certificate. If you attend the interview without documenting that carefully you might be put on AP pending the production of a certificate that you cannot provide (not a good place to be in).

If you do all that I have described, I think you'll be OK.

Police Records
Available only to those residing in Kuwait; age 18 and above must get the police clearance certificate if resided in country for 6 months or more.

A police certificate, or 'Good Conduct Certificate,' can be obtained from the Ministry of Interior, General Department for Criminal Evidence, Department of Identification and Automated Search located in the Farwaniya-Dhajeej area, Airport Road 55, opposite the Kuwait Airways main building. Phone: 2434-6101. Fax: 2434-5790.

Each applicant must provide the following:

- A letter from the US Embassy*
- One recent front-view color photograph
- Passport and one photocopy
- Kuwaiti Civil Identification Card and one photocopy

*The Embassy will only provide the letter of request to immigrant visa applicants. U.S. citizens and other individuals seeking Kuwait police clearances should obtain a letter of request from his/her local sponsor or the requesting embassy.

The process to obtain a police certificate takes 1 to 2 weeks.

OK - if you read the reciprocity page for Kuwait you see the information posted below. You should go through the motions exactly as you see written below - and document carefully the steps you have taken to obtain the certificate. Because of the way you have "not" resided there for more than 6 months you might still fail to get the police certificate. In that case you need to prove that you took these trips every 90 days to establish that you have not met the residency requirement described below - even though this lasted 8 years. It is all about the documentation. You want to go to the interview armed carefully with the evidence that proves you followed the intructions AND proved that you did not meet the residency standard, and therefore are not expected to provide the certificate. If you attend the interview without documenting that carefully you might be put on AP pending the production of a certificate that you cannot provide (not a good place to be in).

Police Records
Available only to those residing in Kuwait; age 18 and above must get the police clearance certificate if resided in country for 6 months or more.

A police certificate, or 'Good Conduct Certificate,' can be obtained from the Ministry of Interior, General Department for Criminal Evidence, Department of Identification and Automated Search located in the Farwaniya-Dhajeej area, Airport Road 55, opposite the Kuwait Airways main building. Phone: 2434-6101. Fax: 2434-5790.

*The Embassy will only provide the letter of request to immigrant visa applicants. U.S. citizens and other individuals seeking Kuwait police clearances should obtain a letter of request from his/her local sponsor or the requesting embassy.

I think you're trying to be very helpful, and I hope your idea works.
However, I am not sure that the CO will just accept 8 years of the applicant's life without any police records to cover it... He is lucky the US only cares about its own border issues (unlike the UK, which frowns on any border violation - which this quite clearly was, even if it was driven by the employer)
It's certainly the first of this type of case I've heard so I hope that whatever the outcome, Annanz is kind enough to come back on the forum and inform us of the outcome.

Edit: Annanz, what did you write on your DS260 as your residence for these 8 years? Kuwait?

Last edited:

Police Records

Thanks Simon.
I have a fortnight left to see this through and I'll be putting everything into getting the PC before I leave on Jan 23rd. I will follow clearly the steps outlined on the reciprocity as you have highlighted. It's just 10 office days left so every day counts now. Thanks for solid advice.

However, I am not sure that the CO will just accept 8 years of the applicant's life without any police records to cover it... He is lucky the US only cares about its own border issues (unlike the UK, which frowns on any border violation - which this quite clearly was, even if it was driven by the employer)
It's certainly the first of this type of case I've heard so I hope that whatever the outcome, Annanz is kind enough to come back on the forum and inform us of the outcome.

Edit: Annanz, what did you write on your DS260 as your residence for these 8 years? Kuwait?
Hi Susie,
When filling out the DS260 I put Kuwait down as my residence for these past 8 years. Of course, I'd be delighted to tell how this plays out.

Yeah - I get where you are coming from. I have made an assumption that the 90 day tactic which seems to have worked for 8 years is somehow "accepted". As you say the embassy won't care if it isn't accepted or not, but by going through the steps I am suggesting that Annanz can (hopefully) establish that efforts were made to meet the requirement and hopefully the embassy may also treat the Kuwait case a little like India. The wording of the reciprocity page (residing) almost sounds like a previous resident would not be expected to provide a PCC from Kuwait.

However, perhaps I should have been more clear that I do think there is some risk still (as you are pointing out).

Yeah - I get where you are coming from. I have made an assumption that the 90 day tactic which seems to have worked for 8 years is somehow "accepted". As you say the embassy won't care if it isn't accepted or not, but by going through the steps I am suggesting that Annanz can (hopefully) establish that efforts were made to meet the requirement and hopefully the embassy may also treat the Kuwait case a little like India. The wording of the reciprocity page (residing) almost sounds like a previous resident would not be expected to provide a PCC from Kuwait.

However, perhaps I should have been more clear that I do think there is some risk still (as you are pointing out).

Yeah, I get where you are coming from re "residing" but I worry that it will look like trying to find a loophole - especially as (if I understand correctly) Annanz has only just resigned his job. To claim that you could not get a PCC because you are no longer residing in a country which you just left a couple of weeks earlier seems to be pushing it a bit. A CO might look on this sympathetically, or might be suspicious. It's hard to know in advance. I guess it's also possible that because this is probably a very unusual case, that he might be put on AP while they try figure it out. I don't want to sound too cynical, and I hope he gets the visa, but I am concerned.

As an aside, it's interesting that Kuwaiti immigration allowed this to go on for 8 years, presumably with exit and entry stamps each time? I can't imagine many other countries doing it!

Yeah, I get where you are coming from re "residing" but I worry that it will look like trying to find a loophole - especially as (if I understand correctly) Annanz has only just resigned his job. To claim that you could not get a PCC because you are no longer residing in a country which you just left a couple of weeks earlier seems to be pushing it a bit. A CO might look on this sympathetically, or might be suspicious. It's hard to know in advance. I guess it's also possible that because this is probably a very unusual case, that he might be put on AP while they try figure it out. I don't want to sound too cynical, and I hope he gets the visa, but I am concerned.

As an aside, it's interesting that Kuwaiti immigration allowed this to go on for 8 years, presumably with exit and entry stamps each time? I can't imagine many other countries doing it!

Yep - you couldn't do the same in the USA. Maybe it is a tolerated/accepted thing?

Unfortunately Susie this is commonplace in Kwt & KSA amongst western contracting companies. The 90 day visa run serves as some R & R for employees who are sent to Dubai or Bahrain at the end of every 3 months for a day or two. In the last few years its been necessary to be outside the state for 72 hours between visas. It just seems to be the way for western workers here (from what I have seen).

Unfortunately Susie this is commonplace in Kwt & KSA amongst western contracting companies. The 90 day visa run serves as some R & R for employees who are sent to Dubai or Bahrain at the end of every 3 months for a day or two. In the last few years its been necessary to be outside the state for 72 hours between visas. It just seems to be the way for western workers here (from what I have seen).

Er, I rather suspect the 90 day visa run is to get around employment or visa regulations rather than R&R for the employees! Nice PR spin though ;)