• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Egyptians meet here

Hi I am from Sudan my interview will be in Egypt too
But not until April or May
Regarding the financial ability are you sure that I should have bank statements of 11000 $ !!
What are the alternatives cause i am sure that's a huge number

Regarding the financial ability are you sure that I should have bank statements of 11000 $ !!
The best alternative is to request your host (sponsor) to give you affidavit of support.
You can also show assets if you have any.

The best alternative is to request your host (sponsor) to give you affidavit of support.
You can also show assets if you have any.

To be honest though, don't stress too much. Cairo seems to have a magic touch about approving cases, at least based on 2014 - so my guess is that it will be pretty hard to get refused in Cairo. You should prepare, but having a host that is known to you (preferably family) will be fine.

The minimum amount per person for a DV selectee should be tied to the US Poverty Line. In 2014 this has been set to $11,670 for the first person, plus $4,060 for any additional person. If you can prove any amount over this you should be fine.
By the way @Britsimon, is this figure right? I heard you say around 20k for couples, but, as per this figure it is only $15,730.

By the way @Britsimon, is this figure right? I heard you say around 20k for couples, but, as per this figure it is only $15,730.

The amount we quote (10k for 1, 20 for 2, 25 for a family of 4) is an approximation - a bit imprecise. I'm sure a couple could get by with a bit less. However, savings in the bank is not the same as income - and in a sense the FPG is not applicable exactly to a person demonstrating their own financial position and not relying on an affidavit of support. The CO is required to make a decision based on the "totality of the alien's circumstances" and that causes the standard to be a bit imprecise anyway.

Well,
I have many relatives in the US not a close family though
Also, I don't have assets myself but I can show my father assets and bank statement right

As for Cairo magic touch I read many people interviews telling that they were only asked to give an address of a host in US ,however, I am planning to be fully prepared.

Well,
I have many relatives in the US not a close family though
Also, I don't have assets myself but I can show my father assets and bank statement right

As for Cairo magic touch I read many people interviews telling that they were only asked to give an address of a host in US ,however, I am planning to be fully prepared.

I'll post a link here in a moment about why a host can be an important solution to the financial support question...

Here you go...

http://britsimonsays.com/all-about-public-charge-affidavit-of-support-i-134/

What if at the moment I am not working and my husband as well but we can show bank statement and asset will they consider us as being not working now as a reason to reject us?

What if at the moment I am not working and my husband as well but we can show bank statement and asset will they consider us as being not working now as a reason to reject us?

That depends on why you are not working I suppose. If they think you are struggling to find work at home and you will struggle to find work in the USA then yes - they may be concerned for you becoming a public charge. If on the other hand you don't work because you are tremendously talented and make a living by working 1 month a year then I suspect they will not have those same concerns.

We were working as professionals in Egypt then traveled and worked outside Egypt and when we returned back to live in Egypt we couldn't find a suitable work till now and currently I am studying US CPA and my husband already certified as a CPA, will it make any concern for them?I am so worried about this!

OK - I have calculated the Ethiopian numbers in an illustration about the holes theory and also explained the impact on Nigeria on the case numbers this year

I did it for Ethiopia already. Egypt follows the same principles. Again I only have 2013 entrant numbers so I have to base it on that (although it would seem likely that entries have increased.

So the numbers for 2013 are 395k entries plus 565k derivatives. That means Egypt has 2.43 selectees per case including family. I think that ratio would be somewhat the same in 2014 and 2015.

395k entries at AF winning percentage (1.84% from 2013) would mean 7250 cases if Egypt were allowed to be unlimited. In 2014 those 7250 would be spread over 116k case numbers – that is 62 per 1000. (and 72 per 1000 in DV2015 if we assume a 2015 high CN of 100k which might be a little high). The 2015 number could increase a bit (higher density) due to higher Egyptian entries, lower max case number for AF. However, let's take those numbers for now to illustrate the point.

2014 had 5757 selectees which would need 2369 cases (at 2.43 per case). 2369 cases divided by the 62 per 1000 would have revealed a max Egypt case of around 38200. That is almost exactly correct from what we actually saw.

2015 has 4988 selectees which would need 2052 cases (at 2.43 per case). 2052 cases divided by the 72 per 1000 would have revealed a max Egypt case of around 28500. I think that might be a little high - due to the factors I have outlined but I can't be certain.

Most importantly, I believe all Egyptian cases could get current – because the 4988 might not be enough to meet the 7% limit. According to the numbers I gave above, 2014 the Egypt limit was imposed at 32250 around 6000 CNs before the cases would have been exhausted anyway. So – at 62 cases per 1000 that means 372 cases that missed out – around 900 people. The 900 people were the top 900 in the 5757 – meaning 2014 used about 4850 cases – pretty close to the 2015 number. So IF a limit is imposed (as it was last year), it would only affect a small number of cases – perhaps the top 1000 case numbers.

I hope that helps. The highest number I have seen in this thread for an Egyptian is 26XXX - so according to my numbers even that one has a good chance - especially if that is at the low end of 26000 to 26999 range.

We were working as professionals in Egypt then traveled and worked outside Egypt and when we returned back to live in Egypt we couldn't find a suitable work till now and currently I am studying US CPA and my husband already certified as a CPA, will it make any concern for them?I am so worried about this!

So no - the CO will realize that a two CPAs will be able to find work in the USA!

Hi all...
finally we got the 2NL .. I have two questions :
1. As i mentioned befor .. my name in the initial application was like x , y , z . However my full name in passport is x ,y , z and G.
I filled the ds-260 just like my passport !! When we recieved the 2NL my name was just like the initial application !!! How should the CO react to this? And how should we explan this mistake? (I'm not the principle applicant)

2- we mentioned our relative address in NY as our host .. i fact we want to go to california .. how to do so?

Hi all...
1. As i mentioned befor .. my name in the initial application was like x , y , z . However my full name in passport is x ,y , z and G.
I filled the ds-260 just like my passport !! When we recieved the 2NL my name was just like the initial application !!! How should the CO react to this? And how should we explan this mistake? (I'm not the principle applicant)

2- we mentioned our relative address in NY as our host .. i fact we want to go to california .. how to do so?

for the fist question, i guess you are fine, as your name in the DS-260 is exactly as your passport!

OK - I have calculated the Ethiopian numbers in an illustration about the holes theory and also explained the impact on Nigeria on the case numbers this year

I did it for Ethiopia already. Egypt follows the same principles. Again I only have 2013 entrant numbers so I have to base it on that (although it would seem likely that entries have increased.

So the numbers for 2013 are 395k entries plus 565k derivatives. That means Egypt has 2.43 selectees per case including family. I think that ratio would be somewhat the same in 2014 and 2015.

395k entries at AF winning percentage (1.84% from 2013) would mean 7250 cases if Egypt were allowed to be unlimited. In 2014 those 7250 would be spread over 116k case numbers – that is 62 per 1000. (and 72 per 1000 in DV2015 if we assume a 2015 high CN of 100k which might be a little high). The 2015 number could increase a bit (higher density) due to higher Egyptian entries, lower max case number for AF. However, let's take those numbers for now to illustrate the point.

2014 had 5757 selectees which would need 2369 cases (at 2.43 per case). 2369 cases divided by the 62 per 1000 would have revealed a max Egypt case of around 38200. That is almost exactly correct from what we actually saw.

2015 has 4988 selectees which would need 2052 cases (at 2.43 per case). 2052 cases divided by the 72 per 1000 would have revealed a max Egypt case of around 28500. I think that might be a little high - due to the factors I have outlined but I can't be certain.

Most importantly, I believe all Egyptian cases could get current – because the 4988 might not be enough to meet the 7% limit. According to the numbers I gave above, 2014 the Egypt limit was imposed at 32250 around 6000 CNs before the cases would have been exhausted anyway. So – at 62 cases per 1000 that means 372 cases that missed out – around 900 people. The 900 people were the top 900 in the 5757 – meaning 2014 used about 4850 cases – pretty close to the 2015 number. So IF a limit is imposed (as it was last year), it would only affect a small number of cases – perhaps the top 1000 case numbers.

I hope that helps. The highest number I have seen in this thread for an Egyptian is 26XXX - so according to my numbers even that one has a good chance - especially if that is at the low end of 26000 to 26999 range.

well done and very good job....

Hi all...

1. I assume the name G is somehow less important (like a second part to your name that you don't use). You should ideally have listed it of the eDV, but you did the correct thing in putting it on the DS260. I don't think it will be a problem, especially if you are interviewing in Cairo, and especially if that sort of additional name is typically dropped there.

2. That is no problem. You are free to go where you want - so perhaps you start in NY, and later you move to CA. You simply inform USCIS once you have moved, but you don't need prior permission. The GC will be sent to the host address if you leave that as your mailing address upon entry.

Than
1. I assume the name G is somehow less important (like a second part to your name that you don't use). You should ideally have listed it of the eDV, but you did the correct thing in putting it on the DS260. I don't think it will be a problem, especially if you are interviewing in Cairo, and especially if that sort of additional name is typically dropped there.

2. That is no problem. You are free to go where you want - so perhaps you start in NY, and later you move to CA. You simply inform USCIS once you have moved, but you don't need prior permission. The GC will be sent to the host address if you leave that as your mailing address upon entry.
Thank you so much ..
I hope the name issue doesn't make a prob. Specially that last name is considered the family name.

regarding moving to california.. actually i want to go directly to california and skip the NY station

Hi all...

1. Including an omitted name on the DS form (which is the right thing to do) does not mean the name will now be included on the correspondence from the U.S. government, the visa that will be issued or the GC itself. However including the name enables them to do an extensive background check. So the CO isn't likely to raise an issue about it, especially since you're not even the main selectee to start with.

2. You can always change your address at the POE.

Hi Viky,
What is your CN? When is your interview date?

Hi all...