someone please help

thats my plan rite now..but can i work while im going to school?

Once you are in school with a student visa, then you can apply for OPT - which allows you to work off campus. But there are certain criteria that you have to meet, one of which is I think you have to have completed at least one year of school. Plus, the OPT is only good for one year, so most people wait until they are about the graduate, so it gives them one more year to stay here and work while they try to secure a different visa - such as TN or H1-B or something.

Getting a work visa only allows you to work and live in the US for a certian period of time, they are not the same as permanent residency. And simpy having a work visa does not give you the right to file for PR either. You have to get a company to sponsor you and that will take years as well - start to finish. Read up on the Work-Based sections of this site (H visas, TN status, I-140 and I-485 Issues sections) for more information. There is also a section for students too (http://boards.immigration.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33), so read up on their experiences too and then you might have a better idea of how it might all work.

Once you are in school with a student visa, then you can apply for OPT - which allows you to work off campus. But there are certain criteria that you have to meet, one of which is I think you have to have completed at least one year of school. Plus, the OPT is only good for one year, so most people wait until they are about the graduate, so it gives them one more year to stay here and work while they try to secure a different visa - such as TN or H1-B or something.

Getting a work visa only allows you to work and live in the US for a certian period of time, they are not the same as permanent residency. And simpy having a work visa does not give you the right to file for PR either. You have to get a company to sponsor you and that will take years as well - start to finish. Read up on the Work-Based sections of this site (H visas, TN status, I-140 and I-485 Issues sections) for more information. There is also a section for students too (http://boards.immigration.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33), so read up on their experiences too and then you might have a better idea of how it might all work.
thanks...and with a student visa im allowed to stay in the us as long as i need to to finish school rite?

alright...

so looks like my best bet is to finish college in the states, get a TN1 Visa, then eventually find a employer who can sponsor me..or if its 5 years by then get my sister to sponsor me.

Your sister sponsoring you as a citizen will take _(pick a number between 15-20)_ Years.

you are better off finding an employer to sponsor you but you will need high levels of education, skills, experience, etc.

Your sister sponsoring you as a citizen will take _(pick a number between 15-20)_ Years.

you are better off finding an employer to sponsor you but you will need high levels of education, skills, experience, etc.

why so long???i mean i thought it would take 2 years at the most

why so long???i mean i thought it would take 2 years at the most

Because there is hundreds of thousands of people in line before you... and you (as sibling) have the lowest "priority" when it comes to family based immigration.

That would be my guess-timate. 15-20 years, AFTER she becomes as US Citizen, so add that up too. :rolleyes:

Also, if your sister sponsors you, be aware that it limits your visa options going forward, because most of the temporary visas (such as a student visa) require nonimmigrant intent. So as soon as your sister sponsors you, say goodbye to renewing an F-1 visa.

If you want to work while you're in school, your options are very limited on a student visa. You're mostly only allowed part time on-campus employment. If you want to make the big bucks and study at the same time you'll need a work visa, which usually requires that you've already finished a bachelor's degree ... so for your first 4 years, either you continue in Canada, or you find ways to pay for housing and nonresident international tuition while working on campus for a student salary. By the way you have to show financial resources up front for an F-1 visa (several tenthousand dollars for a four year degree).

Well, the US is way more multicultural. You know that ?

lol um no

have u been to toronto? its the most multicultural city in the world...50% of the people in the city are foreign born...and we have massive amounts of pakistanis, chinese and jamaicans..not that im racist but i just dont like the mixing of all these cultures..especially when none of them even like each other. all my jamaican friends HATE pakistani people here.

lol um no

have u been to toronto? its the most multicultural city in the world...50% of the people in the city are foreign born...and we have massive amounts of pakistanis, chinese and jamaicans..not that im racist but i just dont like the mixing of all these cultures..especially when none of them even like each other. all my jamaican friends HATE pakistani people here.

Move to Ottawa? some other city? You are aiming at climbing a very tall mountain and it is certainly not as easy as you thought it would be...

Move to Ottawa? some other city? You are aiming at climbing a very tall mountain and it is certainly not as easy as you thought it would be...

na...im gunna get to the states eventually. firstly start off with going to college there.

na...im gunna get to the states eventually. firstly start off with going to college there.

Universities are much cheaper in Canada - then after your degree, the chances of coming to the US on a work visa will be much better.

Just something to think about.

Exactly... have you considered what you want to study? and based on that the Internation Student Tuition and expenses?

Or you got 20,000 - 120,000 US Dollars stashed somewhere?

Exactly... have you considered what you want to study? and based on that the Internation Student Tuition and expenses?

Or you got 20,000 - 120,000 US Dollars stashed somewhere?

And Canada's not that bad of a place to be. I know... I lived there for 30 years. And if I had to go back tomorrow that wouldn't bother me - it's just that I've made a home here and this is where my work is. Being married to a USC means that no matter which country we live in, someone's gotta file for permanent residency - we just have to pick one.