someone please help

TOOK

Registered Users (C)
can someone PLEASE help me with this question.

ok i am 17 years old and live in canada. My sister married an american and is now living in the united states.

I want to move to the USA once i am 18, and im wondering if my sister can sponsor me, or if her husband can...or what other method i could use

help would be apreciated

First you need to state what is your sister's legal status in the USA? "married to an american" is not a legal status...

She is either a permanent resident, or a US citizen... or she could be there under a work or student visa.

Your sister can only sponsor you if she is a US citizen, and it will take SEVERAL years before a visa is available for you to immigrate to the USA.

So, look into Student (F1) visas... if you want to study college in the USA.

i think her status is a permanent resident.

and how long can i stay under a student visa? If i study for like 6 years can i apply for my green card during that time? and is there another way i can get my green card besides through her? because she has to be living in the usa for 5 years to become a us citizen right?

and what jobs usually sponsor you? if i came right after high school are there any jobs which would sponsor me?

^^which jobs do??

I don't know much about Employment Based Immigration... but from what I have read... companies are looking for people with a bachelors, preferably a masters or PhD.

These are the categories:
EB-1, Extraordinary Ability
EB-1, Outstanding Professors or Researchers
EB-1, Managers and Executives
EB-2, Exceptional Ability
EB-2, Advanced Degree Professionals
EB-2, National Interest Waiver
EB-2, Physicians in Underserved Areas
EB-3, Skilled, Professional, Other Workers
EB-4, Special Immigrants Including Religious Workers
EB-5, Investment by Alien Entrepreneur

I don't know much about Employment Based Immigration... but from what I have read... companies are looking for people with a bachelors, preferably a masters or PhD.

thanks

for the national interests waiver one...that includes being a teacher right?

http://www.usavisanow.com/nationalinterestwaivergreencardinfo.html

Alright, I know a little about EB immigration since it seems like everyone around me in the office is going through it. Typical path F-1 -> OPT -> H-1B -> EB-2, EB-3.

Most of the employment categories require a sponsoring employer, but some do not. The ones where you can self sponsor, such as NIW or outstanding researcher, requires a lot of documentation about your exceptional achievements. Someone right out of high school I'd assume would have a hard time meeting the requirements.

But, for Canadians there are special visas that I don't know much about. Google "TN1".

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I know a little about EB immigration since it seems like everyone around me in the office is going through it. Typical path F-1 -> OPT -> H-1B -> EB-2, EB-3.

Most of the employment categories require a sponsoring employer, but some do not. The ones where you can self sponsor, such as NIW or outstanding researcher, requires a lot of documentation about your exceptional achievements. Someone right out of high school I'd assume would have a hard time meeting the requirements.

But, for Canadians there are special visas that I don't know much about. Google "TN1".

thanks

Unless you are willing to wait for a decade or two, you need to explore immigrating on your own, rather than get sponsored by your sister. TN visa would be a good avenue, but first get a university degree.

ok i am 17 years old and live in canada. My sister married an american and is now living in the united states.
I want to move to the USA once i am 18

ill look into a tn visa.

another question...if i study on a student visa in the states for 5 years or go on a tn visa for 5 years does that make me legible for a us citizenship?

No, you first need to become a permanent resident (GC holder), then be a permanent resident for 5 years before you can apply for citizenship. Don't worry about citizenship yet, get started with more education (in the US or in Canada) and then get an employment visa and apply for an employment based GC later, and citizenship 5 years thereafer. Your probably have at least a 15 year process ahead of you to US citizenship.

No, you first need to become a permanent resident (GC holder), then be a permanent resident for 5 years before you can apply for citizenship. Don't worry about citizenship yet, get started with more education (in the US or in Canada) and then get an employment visa and apply for an employment based GC later, and citizenship 5 years thereafer. Your probably have at least a 15 year process ahead of you to US citizenship.

if i get the employement visa thats being a permanent resident right?

also, i apreciate all the help guys

also, when i go to college on a student visa..what do i need to work while i do school?

What exactly got into you that all of the sudden you want to be an American citizen? and live/work/study here?

I am assuming it "just happened" since you seem clueless about the entire thing.

What exactly got into you that all of the sudden you want to be an American citizen? and live/work/study here?

I am assuming it "just happened" since you seem clueless about the entire thing.

no..i have been for a long time im just trying to get more information about it.

Apply to a US college then enter on a student visa.

can someone PLEASE help me with this question.

I want to move to the USA once i am 18, and im wondering if my sister can sponsor me, or if her husband can...or what other method i could use

help would be apreciated