someone please help

Once you are in school with a student visa, then you can apply for OPT - which allows you to work off campus. But there are certain criteria that you have to meet, one of which is I think you have to have completed at least one year of school.

actually, schools usually approve pre-completion OPT only for graduate students, who have completed all but thesis (dissertation).

actually, schools usually approve pre-completion OPT only for graduate students, who have completed all but thesis (dissertation).

I know of some that have been able to get and use their OPT while doing their nursing degrees after only completing their first year of schooling.

Most Canadaian citizens are able to pay reciprocity tuition with US border states (ND, MN, MI, NY). So tuition for them are significantly cheaper than non residents.

Really - not in my experience. If your not a PR or USC, in the past they have made us pay "international" rates. Even H4's have had to pay international rates. It must depend on the school I guess.

the careers im looking into are either a technical publications writer or an urban planner...anyone know if schools are relatively cheap for those?

the careers im looking into are either a technical publications writer or an urban planner...anyone know if schools are relatively cheap for those?
you are about to be the age to enroll in college and why don't you do the research on your own. There is nice modern technology called Internet and telephone. Seriously.

Here in Texas, if you are gainfully employed for one year (actually 11 months) and not studying at the same time (i.e. you have to be on some sort of work visa if not a LPR or citizen), then you qualify for resident tuition.

You also qualify for a waiver of nonresident tuition here as at least a part time state employee, which for instance could be an F-1 student having an on-campus job in a state university.

I've been a resident for tuition purposes ever since I returned to school while being on H-1B. :)

Come to think of it, I should probably tell my school about adjustment to LPR right? So I don't have to pay those couple ten bucks of annoying international student services fees no more?

I don't know much about Employment Based Immigration... but from what I have read... companies are looking for people with a bachelors, preferably a masters or PhD.

These are the categories:
EB-1, Extraordinary Ability
EB-1, Outstanding Professors or Researchers
EB-1, Managers and Executives
EB-2, Exceptional Ability
EB-2, Advanced Degree Professionals
EB-2, National Interest Waiver
EB-2, Physicians in Underserved Areas
EB-3, Skilled, Professional, Other Workers
EB-4, Special Immigrants Including Religious Workers
EB-5, Investment by Alien Entrepreneur
Question about the EB-3...

* Aliens with at least two years of experience as skilled workers;
* Professionals with a baccalaureate degree; and
* Other workers with less than two years experience, such as an unskilled worker who can perform labor for which qualified workers are not available in the United States.

so..if i work at a job for over 2 years i am eligible for the EB-3?

thats my plan rite now..but can i work while im going to school?

Yes you can work, but you have to maintain a certain level of hours. After you get a MS or PhD from a US college, any company can sponser you.

Took, I've really got to say, with your attitude, you need to seriously reconsider this "decision" you've made to move to the US. Major US cities are just as "multicultural" as Toronto, if not more so, unless you plan to move to the middle of nowhere to get away from these "undesirables." You've done no work for yourself and are asking everyone else to do simple internet searches for you without going into this with very good intentions...I say take some time, rethink your priorities, and consider that your opportunities in Toronto are amazing compared to many, school, culture, and job wise.

Took, I've really got to say, with your attitude, you need to seriously reconsider this "decision" you've made to move to the US.

He's a teenager, enamored with the US.

Which isn't a bad thing. I wanted to live here when I was his age too. The best thing to do is spend some time getting a degree in Canada, starting a career and planning on making the move in your early 20s. Get a job in Canada after you graduate with 1 or 2 years' experience under your belt and then start looking for work in the US. That's probably the best way.

Took, I've really got to say, with your attitude, you need to seriously reconsider this "decision" you've made to move to the US. Major US cities are just as "multicultural" as Toronto, if not more so, unless you plan to move to the middle of nowhere to get away from these "undesirables." You've done no work for yourself and are asking everyone else to do simple internet searches for you without going into this with very good intentions...I say take some time, rethink your priorities, and consider that your opportunities in Toronto are amazing compared to many, school, culture, and job wise.

Well, remember he's 17... you can't ask much :cool: