someone please help

Ok - thanks. Maybe it was CPT. Seeing as you seem to know about it, what if you only accumulate 4 months of CPT? Does that mean you only have 8 months of OPT left to use? Is it a total of 12 months combined for both CPT and OPT?

nope, it's not cumulative for both. You can do 11 months of full-time CPT, and still be eligible for 12 months of full-time OPT.

I had 6 months of CPT, and then 12 months of OPT for my Master's program. And 12 months of OPT for my Bachelor's before that.

once i find a job ill get the TN1 visa, and look for a company that will sponsor me if that one wont

If you find a job but the company won't sponsor you, no TN for you and no job therefore.

...and if not then ill just stay on a TN1 visa until my sister can sponsor me.

The wait times for FB4 sponsorship are so long that this is a very unrealistic strategy.

TOOK, my advice would be that you concentrate on your education first before you plan out the rest of your life. I think it suffices to say that with a college degree you'll have quite a few options open, regardless where that degree is from (US or Canada or elsewhere). It's more important what the degree is in than where it's from, because in order to get a job, you'll need a field that's in demand, now and in the future (wherever you're planning to go). An advantage that you'd get with a US education would be that you'd be able to interact/intern with the companies that might later hire you in the US. We probably can't help you in determining what's in demand, but in general technical/scientific fields are ones that have been in demand because of lack of interest or encouragement of Americans to pursue these careers themselves.

If you find a job but the company won't sponsor you, no TN for you and no job therefore.

The wait times for FB4 sponsorship are so long that this is a very unrealistic strategy.

what? i dont need a company to sponsor me for a TN1...All i need is the job. I can apply for it at the border and its good for 1 year.

what? i dont need a company to sponsor me for a TN1...All i need is the job. I can apply for it at the border and its good for 1 year.

While that can technically be true, the unfortunate fact is that most offer letters are not worded in a fashion to get a TN at the border. Unless your employer recognizes that they need to do something special for the TN, you are unlikely to get it.

And if you want the TN to be extended past 12 months, you do require sponsorship.

Yes - you DO NEED a company to sponsor you for a TN! :rolleyes:

And you need to have the job lined up BEFORE you can get the TN - and the company has to be willing to sponsor you for you to get the TN.

TOOK, perhaps y'all were not talking about the same thing, I think you're talking about a company sponsoring you for EB immigration, correct? Be aware you'll have an additional complication that TN is a nonimmigrant visa and once an immigrant petition is pending for you (your sister, or an employer), I believe you can no longer renew your TN status. Sometimes there's a wait of many years between the filing of the petition and when you can legally stay and work in the US, and you'll have to bridge this gap in some way ... so you may have to look into H-1B also (allows dual status and extension until your EB petition is approved). But don't worry about it yet, just familiarize yourself with what it is, in case you want to take advantage of it some day.

Last edited by a moderator:
While that can technically be true, the unfortunate fact is that most offer letters are not worded in a fashion to get a TN at the border. Unless your employer recognizes that they need to do something special for the TN, you are unlikely to get it.

And if you want the TN to be extended past 12 months, you do require sponsorship.

what?? im confused...from what i read here it looks easier to get than what your all saying

http://www.green-cards.com/non_us/tn1_visa.htm

Canadians can often gain entry to the US with greater ease than others; this preferential treatment for Canadians is linked to treaty provisions within the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). While there are many NAFTA related visas, the most useful one is the TN1 visa. The TN1 visa was modelled on the H1B; it may only be used where the employer is based in the US, and the candidate is a professional in one of the categories listed on below. Where a candidate, by their profession and nationality, qualifies for the TN1 visa, it has the following advantages over the H1B:

* It is granted for one year, but can continue to be renewed indefinitely.

* It can be applied for at the border with the US, and is usually granted immediately.

what?? im confused...from what i read here it looks easier to get than what your all saying

http://www.green-cards.com/non_us/tn1_visa.htm

Canadians can often gain entry to the US with greater ease than others; this preferential treatment for Canadians is linked to treaty provisions within the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). While there are many NAFTA related visas, the most useful one is the TN1 visa. The TN1 visa was modelled on the H1B; it may only be used where the employer is based in the US, and the candidate is a professional in one of the categories listed on below. Where a candidate, by their profession and nationality, qualifies for the TN1 visa, it has the following advantages over the H1B:

* It is granted for one year, but can continue to be renewed indefinitely.

* It can be applied for at the border with the US, and is usually granted immediately.
^^^

TOOK, "greater ease than others" is relative. For H-1Bs the barrier is pretty high; with that, people need to find an employer willing to willing to spend $1500 plus application fees plus lawyer fees, willing to wait several months, or pay $1000 more to cut out a couple of weeks. For TN the barrier is lower because of the $50 cost and immediate grant at the border, however the offer letter needs to contain very specific language. For US citizens the barrier is lowest, but it's still not easy. Sometimes you have to wait a half year for callbacks and get many rejection letters in the process. So while it's not impossible, by no means is it easy to get a skilled job at all. But, as I said before, it all depends on the field. If you're a nurse, you can probably have a job tomorrow.

TOOK, "greater ease than others" is relative. For H-1Bs the barrier is pretty high; with that, people need to find an employer willing to willing to spend $1500 plus application fees plus lawyer fees, willing to wait several months, or pay $1000 more to cut out a couple of weeks. For TN the barrier is lower because of the $50 cost and immediate grant at the border, however the offer letter needs to contain very specific language. For US citizens the barrier is lowest, but it's still not easy. Sometimes you have to wait a half year for callbacks and get many rejection letters in the process. So while it's not impossible, by no means is it easy to get a skilled job at all. But, as I said before, it all depends on the field. If you're a nurse, you can probably have a job tomorrow.
so basically the greater the need for the profession the easier it will be to get a TN1?
because i want to be a technical writer, and theres a bit of a need for them in the US

You may not notice, but nowaday all the technical work can be done with telecommute. Web conf, RCS, email, online archive etc.. all the tool is available.
Whether they actually do it only online or face to face is just up to company's policy.

if you have to have presentation for what you wrote in documents, your writing is not good enough and all the end users need your presentations. That defeats the purpose of technical documents.

Last edited by a moderator:

It can be easy to get, but the caveat is that not only do your job and qualifications need to be on the TN list, but the offer letter needs to be written in a specific way. There are certain phrases that can be required, and there are others that will cause the border agent to reject you on the spot.

Generally speaking, unless the company recognizes that they will need to deal with immigration you will not get a TN, so you will still need to find a sponsor.