"Your case has been delayed" letter from USCIS

compuser1973

Registered Users (C)
I had talked to a second level IO last week to ask what was going on with my application. My wife has already received her IL for a while - so I have been getting a bit anxious to see what was going on. She said she could send a message saying that was the case and to see what was going on.

Then yesterday I received a (what seems to be a form letter) letter saying "You or your rep. contacted to find out the status of your case pending with us. The processing of you case has been delayed....." and then some stuff saying they cannot schedule an interview until all b/g checks have been completed and saying if I hear nothing from them in 6 months - I should again contact them....

Not sure what to make of it - never before have had an acknowledgment about a CS call.... I am hoping delay they talk about is not any unusual delay - since it still hasn't really been that long - just longer than some people who applied around the same time as me....

I had talked to a second level IO last week to ask what was going on with my application. My wife has already received her IL for a while - so I have been getting a bit anxious to see what was going on. She said she could send a message saying that was the case and to see what was going on.

Then yesterday I received a (what seems to be a form letter) letter saying "You or your rep. contacted to find out the status of your case pending with us. The processing of you case has been delayed....." and then some stuff saying they cannot schedule an interview until all b/g checks have been completed and saying if I hear nothing from them in 6 months - I should again contact them....

Not sure what to make of it - never before have had an acknowledgment about a CS call.... I am hoping delay they talk about is not any unusual delay - since it still hasn't really been that long - just longer than some people who applied around the same time as me....

It is possible that a number of things are delaying your interview scheduling:
1. Your name check is not yet complete.
2. Your background check is not yet complete.
3. Since you already received your Yellow Letter then this means that your case is currently being prepared for the transfer to the local office for an interview so you will be scheduled very soon.

USCIS is apparently adopting a new level of customer service, when you can email them etc. See a note on that at http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/SCOPS Update Final0810.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.

But looks like they have no address for the National Benefits Center in MO - that is where many N-400 cases are I believe. I wonder if I mailed it to Lewisville TX box that I should use SRC or since I am in VA use VSC.....

Thanks.

But looks like they have no address for the National Benefits Center in MO - that is where many N-400 cases are I believe. I wonder if I mailed it to Lewisville TX box that I should use SRC or since I am in VA use VSC.....

I was wondering the same thing. Who do you e-mail if your case is NOT in one of the Service Centers?

I was wondering the same thing. Who do you e-mail if your case is NOT in one of the Service Centers?

The memo states to email the service center which has jurisdiction over your case, not to the one where your file is physically located.

The memo states to email the service center which has jurisdiction over your case, not to the one where your file is physically located.

This is verbatim from the memo:

Please note: Emails should be sent to the Service Center that has jurisdiction over your case. The receipt notice will indicate EAC for the Vermont Service Center, SRC for the Texas Service Center, LIN for the Nebraska Service Center, and WAC for the California Service Center.

All N-400 notices have NBC as the prefix for a case number. So my question is to which center should questions about notices with the NBC prefix be addressed?

This is verbatim from the memo:

Please note: Emails should be sent to the Service Center that has jurisdiction over your case. The receipt notice will indicate EAC for the Vermont Service Center, SRC for the Texas Service Center, LIN for the Nebraska Service Center, and WAC for the California Service Center.

All N-400 notices have NBC as the prefix for a case number. So my question is to which center should questions about notices with the NBC prefix be addressed?

To the service center email address where you originally sent your application to. (the one that has jurisdiction over your case).

I'm not convinced that all N-400 applications have NBC has receipt number as those that begin with SSC* (for Texas) are still being used.

To the service center email address where you originally sent your application to. (the one that has jurisdiction over your case).

I'm not convinced that all N-400 applications have NBC has receipt number as those that begin with SSC* (for Texas) are still being used.

That would be the NBC in most cases - no? That's where I sent my N-400 - even though the PO Box was in TX.

That would be the NBC in most cases - no? That's where I sent my N-400 - even though the PO Box was in TX.

That's correct ..with the lockbox system they implemented since last January most receipt numbers now begin with NBC, and the memo does not reflect this change.

To find out what service center has jurisdiction over your area, look it up by your zip code on USCIS site:

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=SC

None yet. I have an InfoPass appt this Friday (28th Aug) - I will update if they are able to give me any.....I am not hoping for much though....

Thank you. Today I saw few members had their case update changed. I am wondering what is the problem with our case. May be the IO who has our file is on vacation? I am going to wait couple more days for InfoPass appointment. Thank you

Thank you. Today I saw few members had their case update changed. I am wondering what is the problem with our case. May be the IO who has our file is on vacation? I am going to wait couple more days for InfoPass appointment. Thank you

Unfortunately - my status hasn't changed at all after the standard "We received it on such and such date" generic message. My wife's interview is done - but her status never budged either. So I am hoping - like you - that the IO did not go off on a vacation leaving the file in a limbo....

Unfortunately - my status hasn't changed at all after the standard "We received it on such and such date" generic message. My wife's interview is done - but her status never budged either. So I am hoping - like you - that the IO did not go off on a vacation leaving the file in a limbo....

My case status has not changed since beginning. I think they started online updates few weeks ago. Our case status never changed even after FP done and after getting Yellow letter. But now it must change in order to get the IL since USCIS sending the IL after updating case status. Good luck for Friday.

My case status has not changed since beginning.

I don't think you can put much faith in the online system. Mine is still showing late May which is probably was when they received the N-400 in the mail. A few weeks the "Last Updated" date changed every day and a couple of times it was into the future, like 12/15/2009 but then it came back to the original May one and has not changed since

I suspect they are updating the software and having problems adjusting all the existing dates.

Good luck on Friday CU1973. I hope they can clear it up for you and get you back on track.

Another famous reason for delay is that your file is somewhere in transit. for example, mine has been transferred to Sacramento local office instead of San Francisco, and I have been waiting for the file transfer for 4 months now :(
Infopass appointment is usually the best way to go, since they have access to all your information and are able to pinpoint the exact reason for delay

Another famous reason for delay is that your file is somewhere in transit. for example, mine has been transferred to Sacramento local office instead of San Francisco, and I have been waiting for the file transfer for 4 months now :(
Infopass appointment is usually the best way to go, since they have access to all your information and are able to pinpoint the exact reason for delay

I feel sorry for you since you are are waiting for long, I know how it feels. Can you please post your timeline if you don't mind. Thank you

I feel sorry for you since you are are waiting for long, I know how it feels. Can you please post your timeline if you don't mind. Thank you

Thank you!
Yep, seems like everything that could go wrong in my case, did :)

Sent N-400 01/10/09 to NBC
NOA 01/16/09
FP Date 02/10/09 (SF)
IL receved on 06/03/09 with interview scheduled for 07/17/09
Interview descheduled letter received on 07/08/09
Still waiting for rescheduled interview :(