Woring w/o permit on F-1

glus

Registered Users (C)
My cousin is in the U.S. for 5 years. She is on F-1 and works illegally. What are the risks that when she applies for OPT BCIS will catch that? Does
BCIS do checks often (she pays taxes)
Did anyone have experiences with that kind of situation?

Thank you.

well, you never know. some people work illegally and do not get caught, and get their opt and h1, and i'm sure some work and do get caught. so it's all up to the person to decide whether to take the risk.

If I were you I wouldn't

I recently applied for reinstatement to F-1 status after falling out of status, but my application was denied because I worked illegally. If I were you, i would tell her not to work with her social security otherwise she will be caught.

fembiz
"I recently applied for reinstatement to F-1 status after falling out of status, but my application was denied because I worked illegally. If I were you, i would tell her not to work with her social security otherwise she will be caught."

Hi Fembiz,
I have a friend in a similar situation as yours that is debating whether to file for reinstatement. Can you please tell me what happened after your application was denied? Is there any recourse through lawyers? This person became out-of-status because of an irresponsible Int'l Student Advisor. But, he has worked outside during the undergraduate years on SS.

Your reply will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

How can you be caught if you work illegally by INS? Just curious. Will they check with IRS for tax you pay?

jyx said:
How can you be caught if you work illegally by INS? Just curious. Will they check with IRS for tax you pay?

First of all you need SSN to be included in a payroll. If you get pay, employer will with hold your money to pay Federal tax, SS etc. When INS check your SSN, it will show the withholds. Since your visa does not authorize to work in US , you will be red flagged. Future non immigrant visa and GC will be summarily rejected and you will be deported.

If you work with out SSN, and get cash payment your employer is in risk , if he/she is a Alien-citizen his citizen ship will be revoked and he/she will be deported from USA. Last two years several (Alien-citizens) people deported

once you are a US citizen, you are no longer an alien.... Citizenship is usually revoked for very bad crimes, such as nazism and participation in holocaust... Not hiring immigrants without authorization. The company will have to pay a hefty fine.

But the results are worse for the immigrants themselves - they can be deported.

LucyMO said:
once you are a US citizen, you are no longer an alien.... Citizenship is usually revoked for very bad crimes, such as nazism and participation in holocaust... Not hiring immigrants without authorization. The company will have to pay a hefty fine.

But the results are worse for the immigrants themselves - they can be deported.

Hello my friend, last year 2 Indian citizens were deported for employing illegal immigrants. Other cases of deportation was marriages of convenience.

Not for Jewish reasons.

Naturalized citizens have always the risk of deportation if you do not follow the rules or commit crimes

see , What new laws says
WASHINGTON, Jan 5: A new intelligence law, and now a court ruling, have further strengthened the US government's power to strip a person of his citizenship even if he committed the crime after naturalization.

A federal appeals court on Tuesday allowed the government to strip a Haitian-American restaurant owner of his citizenship even though he was indicted, arrested and convicted after naturalization.

Also on Tuesday, federal agents in Atlanta arrested a prominent Ethiopian human rights abuse suspect and put him in deportation proceedings, for the first time using legal powers granted under a newly-signed intelligence reform law.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worked illegally - chances they will check SSN?

great guru said:
First of all you need SSN to be included in a payroll. If you get pay, employer will with hold your money to pay Federal tax, SS etc. When INS check your SSN, it will show the withholds. Since your visa does not authorize to work in US , you will be red flagged. Future non immigrant visa and GC will be summarily rejected and you will be deported.

If you work with out SSN, and get cash payment your employer is in risk , if he/she is a Alien-citizen his citizen ship will be revoked and he/she will be deported from USA. Last two years several (Alien-citizens) people deported

We have an interview coming up for adjustment of status, have been working illegally for almost 3 years and adjusting now with marriage, what would trigger them checking SSN? Or is it standard with ALL applications? Please help.

shandra said:
We have an interview coming up for adjustment of status, have been working illegally for almost 3 years and adjusting now with marriage, what would trigger them checking SSN? Or is it standard with ALL applications? Please help.

Face it, Whatever the consequences. And post your experience.